Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 08:39 AM

1,580 posts, read 1,990,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klara View Post
Maybe I can ask here, do you think this house is overpriced?

Real Estate - 3 Homes For Sale | Zillow

It has only 1,034 sqft, but 9,570 sqft lot. What do you think is the acceptable price for the house?
That's in a great area. It's in mint condition, totally move in. If you love it, buy it. A home like that will fly. It's an oversized lot (compared to typical 6,000 sq ft). It has a basement. People don't want to buy fixers and put in sweat equity nowadays, so that home will fit the bill for most. In my opinion, the upgrades, the fact that it's prime real estate selling time (spring) and move in condition make it worth considering. If you want to see if you can get it for less money, I'd suggest having a pre approval letter in hand and offering something in the 4's. Remember that this is a move in ready, starter home, priced aggressively, in a good school district. These homes sell a lot quicker than homes over the half million mark.

Had to edit. Looked at pics again. That open floor concept/built in eating area/kitchen are going to be the clincher for most first time buyers/young couples. Typically, in this range and neighborhood, you're looking at a stock Home Depot kitchen.

Btw, 8 shoppers saved that home in less than 24 hrs.

Last edited by LoveBeingAMommy; 05-06-2015 at 08:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 08:44 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,317,329 times
Quote:

It has only 1,034 sqft, but 9,570 sqft lot. What do you think is the acceptable price for the house?
Did you notice that on the house's listing right underneath $420,000, the Zestimate says it's worth $389,773? Zillow isn't perfect in their Zestimates, but in this case I agree with it.

I also think having the kitchen and the living room all in one room isn't good. Especially if the kitchen side is larger than the living room size and overwhelms the living room side.

Did you go see this house?

Old 05-06-2015, 08:49 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,892,286 times
Well the topic is cheap and safe, so that house would certainly qualify. Then again you can find a house in Hicksville in the same manner. The difference is the schools in both these towns aren't exactly great.

One other thing I don't like about being on the extreme north or south is that it takes considerably extra time to get anywhere of interest east or west on the island (except for beaches of course).

Old 05-06-2015, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Did you notice that on the house's listing right underneath $420,000, the Zestimate says it's worth $389,773? Zillow isn't perfect in their Zestimates, but in this case I agree with it.

I also think having the kitchen and the living room all in one room isn't good. Especially if the kitchen side is larger than the living room size and overwhelms the living room side.

Did you go see this house?

Lol, I actually edited because I think that trendy homebuyers love open concept, particularly in smaller homes. That Zestimate is based on comps, sq footage, number of beds and baths. You have to add $ for all of the additional features/upgrades.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
Well the topic is cheap and safe, so that house would certainly qualify. Then again you can find a house in Hicksville in the same manner. The difference is the schools in both these towns aren't exactly great.

One other thing I don't like about being on the extreme north or south is that it takes considerably extra time to get anywhere of interest east or west on the island (except for beaches of course).

The house is right by the 135. That'll take them to Southern, Northern and LIE. I need to drive 25 min just to get to any parkway.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBeingAMommy View Post
Lol, I actually edited because I think that trendy homebuyers love open concept, particularly in smaller homes. That Zestimate is based on comps, sq footage, number of beds and baths. You have to add $ for all of the additional features/upgrades.
Yeah but you need bigger square footage to do the open concept so it flows and feels natural. When the house is too small and especially if the kitchen side is larger than the living room side, it looks awful and feels awkward ... like there's barely a living room ... it's just an "alcove" or something to sit in and look at the kitchen.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Yeah but you need bigger square footage to do the open concept so it flows and feels natural. When the house is too small and especially if the kitchen side is larger than the living room side, it looks awful and feels awkward ... like there's barely a living room ... it's just an "alcove" or something to sit in and look at the kitchen.
I hear what you're saying. But you need to remember this is an entry level home with some pretty expensive upgrades. The living room was originally a Cracker Jack box, same as kitchen. My friend grew up in one of those ranches. Living room was tight. It was dark. IMO, I think they gave it a Hamptons bungalow feel. The yellow paint on the walls is the real mistake lol. I think young couples looking to start a family will want to be able to cook and keep an eye on their toddler at the same time. I'm not trying to argue, I just think that they did a great job with the small space. You could definitely host a holiday there.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:12 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,891,671 times
Quote:

Is that an illegal kitchen in basement?

Old 05-06-2015, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
Good call. That explains the second bathroom. There's no way I'd rent out that basement. Firetrap.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
Not sure. All you can see is a refrigerator and a microwave. Some people have those in finished basements to store drinks, microwave popcorn, etc. The clincher for an illegal kitchen is a stove and sink and we cannot see far enough into that room. According to mlsli.com, it does have a full bath in the basement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island