Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 12:30 PM

429 posts, read 853,295 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I've spent half the day on the phone with Town of Oyster Bay for what I thought to be a pretty standard thing, considering how many people have their fences done on the daily.

We spent the past two weeks collecting fencing estimates for the backyard and finally selected a company. They described the process for me of applying for a permit, although they don't require one to start the work.

We purchased our house less than two years ago and we were able to use our seller's property survey at closing.

I called TOB to see how to go about getting the permit - they basically said that just because the fence is pictured on the survey doesn't mean we have a permit for it. So, I don't quite understand - we had a title search done and all CO's were accounted for at the time of our closing. Is she making a big deal about nothing, or do I really have something to worry about? Do I have to wait until I get the permit to allow the fence company to come do the work? FWIW- we're replacing a wood fence with a PVC fence on all three sides of the yard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2015, 12:54 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,449,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by csteen85 View Post
Hi all,

I've spent half the day on the phone with Town of Oyster Bay for what I thought to be a pretty standard thing, considering how many people have their fences done on the daily.

We spent the past two weeks collecting fencing estimates for the backyard and finally selected a company. They described the process for me of applying for a permit, although they don't require one to start the work.

We purchased our house less than two years ago and we were able to use our seller's property survey at closing.

I called TOB to see how to go about getting the permit - they basically said that just because the fence is pictured on the survey doesn't mean we have a permit for it. So, I don't quite understand - we had a title search done and all CO's were accounted for at the time of our closing. Is she making a big deal about nothing, or do I really have something to worry about? Do I have to wait until I get the permit to allow the fence company to come do the work? FWIW- we're replacing a wood fence with a PVC fence on all three sides of the yard.
I had a survey done of my house when I bought it, on the survey is an above ground pool and a fence. Does not mean they have permits, just means they were there when survey was taken.

Also a title search just means all open permits are closed. I think if you take down an old fence you need a permit to put up a new fence.

I dont understand why the town is involved at all. Do you have neighbors who object to fence? When I put a fence, I wrote a letter to all my neighbors telling them I was putting up a fence and described fence and all were ok with it. Are you worried one neighbor will call town?

Old 05-04-2015, 01:03 PM

Thanks for your reply. No, I'm not worried about neighbors, but I was under the impression that I would eventually need a permit for the fence (as in, when its time to sell). I don't want to create a headache later, so I was trying to do the right thing now, but I was confused by the town's responses to my questions.
Do most people NOT apply for a fence permit?

Old 05-04-2015, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Thanks for your reply. No, I'm not worried about neighbors, but I was under the impression that I would eventually need a permit for the fence (as in, when its time to sell). I don't want to create a headache later, so I was trying to do the right thing now, but I was confused by the town's responses to my questions.
Do most people NOT apply for a fence permit?
90% of folks don't get permits to replace an existing fence as is if neighbors are ok with it. Same goes for above ground pools.

If you are putting up a fence or pool and you know you have an issue with neighbors or you need a variance I would do it.

My fence to be honest is 100% to code, I replaced it when I bought house as it was old and did not even know I needed a permit to be honest.But I put it exactly where it was. Plus it looks legal on the website so I could get a permit easy enough

Old 05-04-2015, 03:35 PM

I think I might need a permit because I'm going from wood to PVC

Old 05-04-2015, 04:08 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Keep the fence inside your property line and within allowable limits and skip the permits. What it's made out of has nothing to do with anything.

As Sandy said, what's on the survey and what's permitted are two different things. The old owner didn't get a fence permit and now you want to. Guess what else they didn't get a permit for? You'll find out when the building inspector comes to look at your new fence that you just had to have a permit for.

Old 05-05-2015, 06:54 AM

88 posts, read 126,314 times
As long as you stay within the height limitations and do not encroach on your neighbors property you will be fine.

Old 05-05-2015, 08:47 AM

Can someone clarify for me though- if an inspector were to come and see a PVC fence instead of wood, would he issue a violation? If I don't get a permit am I just delaying the inevitable?

Old 05-05-2015, 09:07 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,034,491 times
There might be regs about chain link fences.

Old 05-05-2015, 09:13 AM

Quote:
I think I might need a permit because I'm going from wood to PVC
None of use know if
1) you ever had a permit for old fence
2) if you did have a permit did he write down the building material

The building dept is still swamped from Sandy rebuilding I doubt your fence is high on the radar
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island