Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2015, 09:45 PM

10 posts, read 24,287 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I have a 4 year old boy with autism. He is currently enrolled in special education class, in Jersey City public school, NJ. we think he is not improving much, I feel the services provided are not good enough.The dev pediatrician has recommended an autism class with low student teacher ratio with students. I am currently working in downtown, NYC, NY. I am planning to move from Jersey city to NY, long island or any other county.

I am looking for suggestions where to move and what to do at this time, Please suggest me better place where my son can get better attention and better services. I really appreciate any help, I am sure people on this forum has gone through loops and holes, your experience and research definitely help me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 11:00 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,206,121 times
Have you tried to get any assistance from Autism Speaks. They are based out of NJ. If you want more info feel free to private message me. They can perhaps give you better guidance.

Old 05-07-2015, 09:13 AM

1,580 posts, read 1,988,287 times
Levittown School District and Half Hollow Hills School District have very good special education services. Particularly the contained classrooms. Try to avoid BOCES if you can. There are private schools for autism, such as ELIJA, Gersh, Genesis School (to name a few), but you should call them to find out what their wait list is like and how to go about getting the district to agree to bussing your child out to a school. Do you have an IEP for him?

Old 05-09-2015, 07:01 AM

Thanks for your response both of you, Yes I do have few choices in NJ especially Bergen county schools like Valley Program. But I would like to explore in NY as i am working in downtown NY, in future i may need to change my job and i believe NY has more job options, more over commute from bergen county is not easy.

Yes my child have IEP, I believe in NY getting into private school is not an easy option, so i am only focusing on public schools, also please suggest me an area where I can rent an apartment for $2000. I see Levittown has good rating schools. Do you know any specific school which has good special ed. Please advise.

Old 05-09-2015, 09:39 AM

1,580 posts, read 1,988,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imona View Post
Thanks for your response both of you, Yes I do have few choices in NJ especially Bergen county schools like Valley Program. But I would like to explore in NY as i am working in downtown NY, in future i may need to change my job and i believe NY has more job options, more over commute from bergen county is not easy.

Yes my child have IEP, I believe in NY getting into private school is not an easy option, so i am only focusing on public schools, also please suggest me an area where I can rent an apartment for $2000. I see Levittown has good rating schools. Do you know any specific school which has good special ed. Please advise.
You can look at mlsli.com for rentals. Make sure you search according to school district, not town. Your best bet would be to work with a local agent, especially since you're new to the area.

Old 05-09-2015, 11:07 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBeingAMommy View Post
Levittown School District and Half Hollow Hills School District have very good special education services. Particularly the contained classrooms. Try to avoid BOCES if you can. There are private schools for autism, such as ELIJA, Gersh, Genesis School (to name a few), but you should call them to find out what their wait list is like and how to go about getting the district to agree to bussing your child out to a school. Do you have an IEP for him?
The Rosemary Kennedy School is a BOCES school and it is very good. They do a lot with the kids and have a large staff. I know someone whose kid goes there and he is assigned his own aide (in addition to the teacher and the teaching assistant and all the rest of the classroom staffers). However, I don't think parents can apply directly there. I think it goes through whatever school district you are in making the recommendation to place your child there if they believe they don't have the right resources for your child in their school district itself.

Old 05-10-2015, 06:28 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,138,090 times
I love in Long Island but have to say that New Jersey has some of the best resources in the country for children on the spectrum. Your child needs to be evaluated so they can be put in a class with the proper ratio of students to teachers and aides.

Old 05-10-2015, 07:08 PM

Thanks all of you for your advise, I still have the confusion choosing NJ vs LI, though NJ has good special ed, most of them are private schools. At this point I am seeing multiple aspects of my move, 1. good public schools 2. commute 3. House rent ~ $ 2K 4.work location for both me and my wife, currently i work in NY and my wife is looking for a job.

I know its complicated to satisfy all, ultimately school is priority and i can compromise on others.

I appreciate any more advise. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: