Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2015, 11:42 AM

8 posts, read 40,332 times

Advertisements

Hi,
My wife and I are planning to move to Long Island. Since we have concerns regarding long commutes from Suffolk to NYC (by trains), we have decided to move to Nassau county.
We are a couple without children but NYC became too expensive for us to live. Also we both love the beach and outdoors. Both our families live in Nassau and in Sufflok. So we are familiar with the island.

The areas of interests are Massapequa Park and Massapequa. Many folks told us in the past that the commute to Manhattan is relatively short and good/safe areas.

Our budget is up to $430K but we prefer to buy a small house (3 bdrs) in the 300's.
I have many questions regarding Massapequa. I heard that some areas are better than others.

I would appreciate some guidance about the difference between Massapequa, Massapequa Park, N. Massapequa. How about the commute to Manhattan? and the parking by the train? is easy to park?

If you have other towns in mind that you think can be an alternative, please let me know.
I highly appreciate your time and your advice.

Thanks,
Mike
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 12:04 PM

4,697 posts, read 8,756,825 times
I can't comment on the specific differences within the Massapequas, but I will say that if you're considering those areas you may also want to look at Wantagh, Seaford, and Bellmore.

I'd also advise you to be very careful when looking at homes that might be in the flood zone and will require flood insurance.

Old 05-07-2015, 12:13 PM

8 posts, read 40,332 times
Thank you so much for this advice. Flooding wasn't in my mind at all. Thanks to you, I will look into this.

Regards,
Mike

Old 05-07-2015, 12:22 PM

4,697 posts, read 8,756,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtz718 View Post
Thank you so much for this advice. Flooding wasn't in my mind at all. Thanks to you, I will look into this.

Regards,
Mike
in general, stay north of Merrick Rd and you should be fine with regard to flooding. But if you do see something south of Merrick Rd. you like, don't necessarily cross it off your list without checking it out. If the specific street or house are at a certain elevation, you may not have anything to worry about.

Old 05-07-2015, 12:43 PM

406 posts, read 874,174 times
Walter Greenspan (RIP) would have a field day with this, but I will strive to be as helpful as possible.

"Massapequa" actually contains a lot of distinct school districts, neighborhoods, etc.

South Massapequa, which is south of Merrick Road, is typically very expensive.

There are two parts of "Massapequa Park," the zip code (which is east of Massapequa but west of East Massapequa and stretches from the water all the way up to, in some areas, the Southern State) and then the Village of Massapequa Park within the zip code. Both are nice areas with great schools, though in the Village you will pay a village tax, and some of the zoning laws can be a bit restrictive (no for sale signs on lawns, driveways a certain distance apart, limited appeals approval)

Massapequa proper is west of Massapequa Park and stretches, again, from the water up to the Southern State. Nice area with very good schools.

Massapequa Proper, Massapequa Park and South Massapequa all attend Massapequa High School, though the elementary schools are different.

North Massapequa is, as you may have guessed, north of Massapequa Park.

East Massapequa has nice homes but the students are zoned for Amityville (not so good).

Then there is Plainedge, which is north or North Massapequa. You will get mixed reviews on Plainedge - the houses are really nice, the neighborhood is safe, but there is definitely an "insular" feel to the neighborhood.

Old 05-07-2015, 12:46 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,065,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtz718 View Post

Regards,
Mike
Generally those areas are south of Merrick Road. When you're looking at houses, ask what flood zone it is in. "Flood Zone X" does not require insurance. I'd get it anyway - it's a few hundred dollars, and worth it if disaster strikes.

The difference are the school districts. Massapequa, Plainedge, Farmingdale, and Amityville are the options. Amityville schools are not particularly desirable IMO. Taxes will be lower but if children may be in your future, this is something to consider. Farmingdale gets mixed reviews from outsiders but the families I know in the district love it. Massapequa SD and Plainedge SD seem to be hot areas but the taxes are higher.

Beyond that, all the neighborhoods are lovely. Your budget will get you a cape, or potentially a hi ranch or split that needs some updating.

Old 05-07-2015, 07:24 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,988,612 times
I'd look at Seaford, Wantagh, and Massapequa, North of Merrick Road. They're all good schools. Same train line. Stay away from being too close to the mall (by Carmen's Ave).

Old 05-07-2015, 09:42 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,705,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByWayofCanarsie View Post
Walter Greenspan (RIP) would have a field day with this, but I will strive to be as helpful as possible.

"Massapequa" actually contains a lot of distinct school districts, neighborhoods, etc.

South Massapequa, which is south of Merrick Road, is typically very expensive.

There are two parts of "Massapequa Park," the zip code (which is east of Massapequa but west of East Massapequa and stretches from the water all the way up to, in some areas, the Southern State) and then the Village of Massapequa Park within the zip code. Both are nice areas with great schools, though in the Village you will pay a village tax, and some of the zoning laws can be a bit restrictive (no for sale signs on lawns, driveways a certain distance apart, limited appeals approval)

Massapequa proper is west of Massapequa Park and stretches, again, from the water up to the Southern State. Nice area with very good schools.Massapequa ends at Jerusalem Ave. North of Jerusalem Ave is North Massapequa. North Massapequa crosses the Southern State, 135, and ends at Boundary Ave. Plainedge starts at Boundary, crosses Hempstead Tpke.

Massapequa Proper, Massapequa Park and South Massapequa all attend Massapequa High School, though the elementary schools are different. People south of Merrick Rd refer to it as Massapequa. There is no South Massapequa. Massapequa's southern border is the bay. If anything, the residents refer to their area by the community name, like Biltmore Shores.
Also, there is a portion of Massapequa which is south of Jerusalem Ave that is zoned for Plainedge School district.

North Massapequa is, as you may have guessed, north of Massapequa Park. Actually it is west of Massapequa Park, but north of Massapequa. Farmingdale is north of MP

East Massapequa has nice homes but the students are zoned for Amityville (not so good).East Massapequa has a mix of homes. A few are zoned for Massapequa, but why gamble?

Then there is Plainedge, which is north or North Massapequa. You will get mixed reviews on Plainedge - the houses are really nice, the neighborhood is safe, but there is definitely an "insular" feel to the neighborhood. That's rather elitist or perhaps provincial of you.
There's Massapequa, Massapequa Park, North Massapequa, East Massapequa.

I grew up in North Massapequa and attended Plainedge Schools. My home was south of the Southern State Pkwy, near Plainedge HS.

Given a person's particular needs and wants, either Massapequa or Massapequa Park are the favorites. You have easy access to the water in Massapequa, but will pay a premium. Massapequa Park is an incorporated village, so they keep tight reign on what can/can't be done to a home. It has kept the area beautiful. LIRR parking is good, too.

The hamlet of North Massapequa is a little more blue collar, but well kept and a tight knit community. If you've been following the news, murdered officer Brian Moore was a Plainedge grad. The community outpouring of support has been amazing. There are plenty of white collar professionals, too, but you'll find more of the doctors and corporate higher ups south of Montauk. There's snob factor south of Merrick.

Massapequa (south of Merrick Rd) has decent sized properties, whereas if you head further north, lots become smaller in the 1950's era developments. North Massapequa puts you close to the SSP and 135.

Taxes are high in Plainedge because there isn't a lot of commercial property in the tax base. My folk's old house is in the $10K range for a 3br 2ba split.

If I had to move back to the area, I would lean toward Massapequa Park. I like the proximity to the preserve and the housing stock better.

Old 05-08-2015, 04:29 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,775,030 times
OP has no children and has expressed no future concerns about school district - might open up some possibilities for those familiar with the area.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:55 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,065,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
OP has no children and has expressed no future concerns about school district - might open up some possibilities for those familiar with the area.
True, but resale value is always something to consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island