Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 01:33 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,502,609 times

Advertisements

Just voted NO at the school budget today.

How many of you will refuse to vote but be on here every day complaining LI taxes are too expensive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 01:48 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,457,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haywood16 View Post

How many of you will refuse to vote but be on here every day complaining LI taxes are too expensive?
I am voting YES. YES YES YES. Becoming a school teacher gets tons of useless girls out of their parents house and into their own apartments

Old 05-19-2015, 01:53 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,900,884 times
sorry are the union salaries up for vote?

what exactly did you vote no on?

we tried it once, and lost by over 1000. Going to vote is easy. If it were that simple to reduce our taxes I don't think that'd be an issue.

Old 05-19-2015, 01:53 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,413,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haywood16 View Post

Feel better? You'll be outvoted 4-1.

Old 05-19-2015, 02:01 PM

137 posts, read 194,681 times
Voting yes and for the 1st time not holding my nose. My district has done backflips to contain costs. I'm actually voting yes on the budget and for all incumbents on the board. They are doing a great job. Why would I want the turmoil of a contingency budget when it doesn't even provide savings? The increase is less than 1%. Voting no will never reduce taxes. Killing the Triborough Amendment might. Good luck to all of us trying to make that happen.

Old 05-19-2015, 02:06 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,816,934 times
Good luck with that. I don't understand why in this day and age we can't vote online. Votes shouldn't be held during the workday when most productive members of society are at work, many in the city. Votes shouldn't be held at Union strongholds, the schools. Contingency budgets are scams. They are are put into motion by unions to scare the public and hold little Suzie's school bus hostage in order to extort money out of the public for outrageous teacher and administrator salary and benefits.

Old 05-19-2015, 03:02 PM

22,681 posts, read 36,846,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
Votes shouldn't be held at Union strongholds, the schools.
Go to a high school polling place on budget vote day and you'll see all the newly minted 18 year old comrades going to vote because their teacher lets them out of class to VOTE YES. Shaping the hearts and minds of the younger generation!

Old 05-19-2015, 03:12 PM

4,676 posts, read 10,003,960 times
When I was a newly minted voter...........I voted against the school budget because too many special interests (serving a small portion of the district) were included in the budget. We needed classroom space and the ceiling in the high school auditorium fixed first...........not an indoor swimming pool.

Old 05-19-2015, 04:01 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,816,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Go to a high school polling place on budget vote day and you'll see all the newly minted 18 year old comrades going to vote because their teacher lets them out of class to VOTE YES. Shaping the hearts and minds of the younger generation!
It is like voting for a contraceptive initiative in the waiting room of an abortion clinic. It is like holding a referendum on affirmative action at a KKK rally. Of course, the results of these votes won't represent the will of the community.

Old 05-19-2015, 04:10 PM

137 posts, read 194,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
Good luck with that. I don't understand why in this day and age we can't vote online. Votes shouldn't be held during the workday when most productive members of society are at work, many in the city. Votes shouldn't be held at Union strongholds, the schools. Contingency budgets are scams. They are are put into motion by unions to scare the public and hold little Suzie's school bus hostage in order to extort money out of the public for outrageous teacher and administrator salary and benefits.
Nice expat rant...that for once I happen to be in complete agreement with. So what's the solution? The contingency budget isn't a "scam", it's what the law allows if the vote fails twice. The Triborough Amendment is what allows the automatic raises that force salary and pension budgets higher regardless of any other increases (or even decreases). If everything stays the same, the teachers are STILL guaranteed the raise so the budget goes up. I know you know all this, I'm just pointing out the connection. My district has a new admin at the bottom of the pay scale. They proposed a tiny increase this year that is basically to pay for the mandated salary and pension increases. That's it. No programs cut, no layoffs. Some modest capital (repair) work coming out of reserves. So what do I do, punish the current board and admin!? They are doing exactly what I want them to do this year. It kills me to say but I think they did a good job. How to fix the bigger picture (the Triborough agreements and the State Constitution) I have no clue, especially in this dysfunctional political dump. And the teachers unions, let's not even get started on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island