Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 10:10 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,446,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellygirl24 View Post
Race doesn't matter to me as long as my kids can 'fit in' somewhere...we're white, Christian, not super rich but not poor, either...just average people, I guess. I don't really want to see my kids try and 'keep up with the Joneses' (by being the poorest kid in the rich district), but I don't want my kids to be scared that someone is going to mug them, either. If the Indian kids are nice people, I'm ok with that, then!
Try Long Beach, good middle of the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 10:15 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,005,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
Um I beg to differ. Maybe our kids if they are CP lifer because they cant function out of the CP bubble! Also trust me they don't look out for each other but they will look into your business!!
That, and they are so close to Westbury and the drug scene. They start going after the little kids early - they need repeat customers.

Old 05-21-2015, 11:06 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,297,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Try Long Beach, good middle of the road.
Not terrible, according to our latest list:

Quote:
68.7 - Elmont Memorial HS* (Sewanhaka) 46
67.7 - Long Beach High School (Long Beach*) 50
67.3 - Baldwin SHS (Baldwin*) 52
66.9 - Hicksville High School (Hicksville*) 49
Houses in Long Beach tend to be more expensive because of the beach and $500K really doesn't go far. And she will have to pay mega flood insurance. The more affordable houses are in the West End, because they are so small, barely any yard and street parking issues, especially in the summer. If she's not already, she will need to become a parallel parking expert. That area got really destroyed by Hurricane Sandy (but of course many of them are fixed up now). Some West End houses do not even have driveways you can put your car in. You have to park somewhere (?) and walk to get to your house. This area is the "Walks" and any street that ends in "Walk" is like that. The Walks are named for the months of the year. The other affordable area is the ghetto section (actually mild compared to bad ghettos, but still).

For the OP, here is our latest School Rankings list (2014) and the methodology used to compile it:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/34717188-post1.html

Last edited by I_Love_LI_but; 05-21-2015 at 11:23 AM..

Old 05-21-2015, 01:01 PM

260 posts, read 450,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
That, and they are so close to Westbury and the drug scene. They start going after the little kids early - they need repeat customers.
Nonsense. Garden City is close to Hempstead yet a world apart in terms of quality of life.

To the OP, there are areas of Westbury zoned for Carle Place schools in case you want to broaden your search.

Old 05-21-2015, 01:22 PM

70 posts, read 88,014 times
Thanks again! Carle Place is too small for my liking...some people love small, but I'm not really into it. I've found from personal experience that I like at least 300+ per graduating class.

Westbury (zoned for EM schools) is a bit too expensive, and what we could afford seems to be similar to a Levitt house (no basement, which we're interested in). Hicksville, of course, is full of Levitt homes, but I do like that it's TOB and the taxes are a little lower.

It looks like E Meadow is at the top of our list for now, but I'm very open to other options!

Old 05-21-2015, 01:24 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,446,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Not terrible, according to our latest list:

Houses in Long Beach tend to be more expensive because of the beach and $500K really doesn't go far. And she will have to pay mega flood insurance. The more affordable houses are in the West End, because they are so small, barely any yard and street parking issues, especially in the summer. If she's not already, she will need to become a parallel parking expert. That area got really destroyed by Hurricane Sandy (but of course many of them are fixed up now). Some West End houses do not even have driveways you can put your car in. You have to park somewhere (?) and walk to get to your house. This area is the "Walks" and any street that ends in "Walk" is like that. The Walks are named for the months of the year. The other affordable area is the ghetto section (actually mild compared to bad ghettos, but still).

For the OP, here is our latest School Rankings list (2014) and the methodology used to compile it:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/34717188-post1.html

Mega flood insurance for primary homes that were not substantially damaged is a bit of a myth. I pay $530 full flood, 250K house 100k contents on a zone AE house.

The sections of Long Beach closer to HS and Allegria hotel are more regular looking houses with driveways and garages.

I actually was down at Long Beach HS last week, first time in many years as one of my kids had a sporting event down there. Kinda shocked how amazing the field was and how it was perfect. I guess FEMA money was good to them. Everything all brand new and school district I guess did not pay for it.

I dont live in Long Beach but the feel is cool. Very much unlike other neighborhoods. I briefly dated a girl who grew up there and still lived at home and was amazing how she knew everyone and everyone said hi. After three months of dating I knew a ton of folks. Meanwhile I was still living at home in Great Neck and we did not even talk to our neighbors, everyone in Great Neck is extremely unfriendly. I would have much rather grown up in Long Beach

Old 05-21-2015, 01:29 PM

Long Beach seems cool, but too far for us.

Old 05-21-2015, 01:46 PM

93,235 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Just curious, but would a community like Roslyn Heights work for the OP? I'm only asking due to it being a pretty diverse area of a very good SD.

Old 05-21-2015, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Just curious, but would a community like Roslyn Heights work for the OP? I'm only asking due to it being a pretty diverse area of a very good SD.
Haven't looked into Roslyn Heights...being that it's Nassau county and traffic can be a huge issue, we would like to be a bit more near to the parkways, as my husband works right off the Meadowbrook on Stewart Ave. We also don't want to be too far out of our comfort zone with price.

Old 05-21-2015, 08:04 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,654,088 times
Bayville (Locust Valley School District) is well rated and on the beach. Glen Cove is not bad at all. Also on the beach.

Oyster Bay is another option. Look in East Norwich. You will find many homes in that price range.
Try the the development off of Berry Berry Hill Rd. Once called "Damin Park" there are 3 to 5 bedroom homes that have mature trees and winding lanes. Streets are named Hill Dr., Wood Dr. Francesca Dr and Soundview Dr.

Nearby is Forest Estates. There is a community pool and the streets are named Oak Hill Dr., School House La., Forrest Hill Dr.

Oyster Bay, East Norwich, Glen Cove and Locust Valley are historical and diverse - with solid school districts, access to beaches, parks and walkable villages.

There are festivals, Memorial Day parades, rural areas, and a small town feeling. The Libraries in all areas are superb.

If you are interested in older homes, all four communities have a good stock of houses that were built before WWII. Generally Victorians through 1920s houses are available in your price range.

In comparison. I find places like Levittown, East Meadow and Hicksville to be more cookie cutter.

Farmingdale might be another option. However it is not near the beach. It does have some pretty areas and nicer, older homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island