Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 09:39 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,988,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellygirl24 View Post
Thanks again! Carle Place is too small for my liking...some people love small, but I'm not really into it. I've found from personal experience that I like at least 300+ per graduating class.

Westbury (zoned for EM schools) is a bit too expensive, and what we could afford seems to be similar to a Levitt house (no basement, which we're interested in). Hicksville, of course, is full of Levitt homes, but I do like that it's TOB and the taxes are a little lower.

It looks like E Meadow is at the top of our list for now, but I'm very open to other options!
Look into Towns of Wantagh/Seaford that are zoned for Levittown SD. A lot of them have basements or are splits. Go on mlsli.com and do a search by SD, not by town. You'll find Wantagh and Seaford pop up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 06:06 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,065,198 times
Quote:
Thanks again! Carle Place is too small for my liking...some people love small, but I'm not really into it. I've found from personal experience that I like at least 300+ per graduating class.

Westbury (zoned for EM schools) is a bit too expensive, and what we could afford seems to be similar to a Levitt house (no basement, which we're interested in). Hicksville, of course, is full of Levitt homes, but I do like that it's TOB and the taxes are a little lower.

It looks like E Meadow is at the top of our list for now, but I'm very open to other options!
Look for homes south of Hempstead Tpke; that's the dividing line between Clarke and EMHS. Clarke is a great school academically but not for those that want a larger HS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBeingAMommy View Post
Look into Towns of Wantagh/Seaford that are zoned for Levittown SD. A lot of them have basements or are splits. Go on mlsli.com and do a search by SD, not by town. You'll find Wantagh and Seaford pop up.
Yes! There's a great neighborhood just south of the SS and west of 135. Seaford mailing address, Levittown schools. It's street after street of splits. It is very cookie cutter, but the houses themselves have a great layout.

Last edited by GiveMeCoffee; 05-22-2015 at 06:47 AM..

Old 05-22-2015, 08:31 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Mega flood insurance for primary homes that were not substantially damaged is a bit of a myth. I pay $530 full flood, 250K house 100k contents on a zone AE house.

The sections of Long Beach closer to HS and Allegria hotel are more regular looking houses with driveways and garages.

I actually was down at Long Beach HS last week, first time in many years as one of my kids had a sporting event down there. Kinda shocked how amazing the field was and how it was perfect. I guess FEMA money was good to them. Everything all brand new and school district I guess did not pay for it.

I dont live in Long Beach but the feel is cool. Very much unlike other neighborhoods. I briefly dated a girl who grew up there and still lived at home and was amazing how she knew everyone and everyone said hi. After three months of dating I knew a ton of folks. Meanwhile I was still living at home in Great Neck and we did not even talk to our neighbors, everyone in Great Neck is extremely unfriendly. I would have much rather grown up in Long Beach
Re: insurance -- I'm talking about homes that were substantially damaged. There are plenty of them for sale now that have been fixed up. Another thing to worry about with those homes is mold.

Long Beach is a very pleasant community and the beach and boardwalk are great assets.

Old 05-22-2015, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiveMeCoffee View Post
Look for homes south of Hempstead Tpke; that's the dividing line between Clarke and EMHS. Clarke is a great school academically but not for those that want a larger HS.

Yes! There's a great neighborhood just south of the SS and west of 135. Seaford mailing address, Levittown schools. It's street after street of splits. It is very cookie cutter, but the houses themselves have a great layout.
Yes it's a great area, family friendly, great firework show every 4th of July!

There's also Forest City in Wantagh. South is SS Pkwy, West of Wantagh Ave, North of Jerusalem. That's a fantastic community, ranches with basements (some expanded into colonials, a beautiful community pool/lake/playground. Hidden gem.

Old 05-22-2015, 08:55 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Mega flood insurance for primary homes that were not substantially damaged is a bit of a myth. I pay $530 full flood, 250K house 100k contents on a zone AE house.
Did you receive your new policy? I was on $425 a year Zone X but it went up to $700 - not because of flood map changes but because of spreading Sandy costs around.

Old 05-22-2015, 02:23 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,445,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Did you receive your new policy? I was on $425 a year Zone X but it went up to $700 - not because of flood map changes but because of spreading Sandy costs around.
sounds like you forgot to fill out proof of primary residence from and submit drivers license etc. If not they tack on $250 to policy. the actual rate increase was small.

Old 05-22-2015, 08:15 PM

70 posts, read 87,962 times
This has nothing to do with my personal search for a home, but out of curiosity, I looked in Hempstead (the zip code/school district)...are they kidding me with their taxes???? $20k a year on regular looking house (and I'm not talking the ones in that Cathedral Gardens section)...who would buy that??!

Old 05-22-2015, 08:17 PM

Anyone have any thoughts on N. Merrick and N. Bellmore? I saw some houses that seemed decent, had easy access to the Meadowbrook, had basements, etc...

I'll check out that area of Wantagh that someone mentioned.

Old 05-22-2015, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Anyone have any thoughts on N. Merrick and N. Bellmore? I saw some houses that seemed decent, had easy access to the Meadowbrook, had basements, etc...

I'll check out that area of Wantagh that someone mentioned.
I think N Merrick is nicer. But to each his own. Bellmore/Merrick SD is good.

Old 05-23-2015, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBeingAMommy View Post
I think N Merrick is nicer. But to each his own. Bellmore/Merrick SD is good.
In what ways?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island