Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 10:45 AM

291 posts, read 397,519 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,

I am going to be in the Plainville area visiting relatives in a few months and the closest LIRR station to my hotel is Hicksville. According to MTA site, they require a permit to park there (i'll have a rental car). Is there a lot i can park in without a permit? Is there a way to get a temporary permit? I would only need it for a few days.

I am thinking if not, i can park a few blocks away on the streets north on Wyckoff street or south to Marie street. From maps, it looks relatively residential and a quick and easy walk to the station.

What would be my best bet to park? I don't mind walking a few blocks if needed. I am assuming others do this and am wondering if the local residents have complained and there are rules for this in the area.

Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 09:34 AM

3,515 posts, read 5,696,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compuhi View Post
Hi folks,

I am going to be in the Plainville area visiting relatives in a few months and the closest LIRR station to my hotel is Hicksville. According to MTA site, they require a permit to park there (i'll have a rental car). Is there a lot i can park in without a permit? Is there a way to get a temporary permit? I would only need it for a few days.

I am thinking if not, i can park a few blocks away on the streets north on Wyckoff street or south to Marie street. From maps, it looks relatively residential and a quick and easy walk to the station.

What would be my best bet to park? I don't mind walking a few blocks if needed. I am assuming others do this and am wondering if the local residents have complained and there are rules for this in the area.

Thanks for the help!
I am guessing you mean Plainview area.
Hicksville lots are owned by the Town of Oyster Bay and require permits.

There is a private lot for $5/day but fills up fast.
YOu could try and park at the Broadway Mall and walk over, but if you get towed, don't blame anyone.
There isn't much street parking around there that isn't metered to prevent you from using it for the LIRR.

Why don't you check with you hotel to see if they will shuttle you over there for free?

Old 05-26-2015, 10:00 AM

149 posts, read 317,369 times
Two private lots with ample parking. One is $12 per day, the other is $8 per day.

Old 05-26-2015, 01:49 PM

291 posts, read 397,519 times
Yup, meant Plainview. Good catch!

The hotel does have a cab service, but it's $12 each way to Hicksville station. Since i have a car, was hoping to save a few bucks and use the car. The $8 lot seems like the safest option.

Thanks for the info!

Old 05-26-2015, 03:06 PM

56 posts, read 115,073 times
My wife and i are looking to move to Jericho which would mean we'll be commuting off of Hicksville station.
At what time are the permit lots filled in the morning?

Old 05-26-2015, 03:08 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,877,385 times
^ 715ish.

Old 05-26-2015, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
^ 7ish. 715 if you're lucky.

So you're telling me i'll be out of luck for a parking spot on the the 7:40am train to Penn station?

Old 05-27-2015, 07:18 AM

9 posts, read 30,330 times
Hi, this article has some 411 on LIRR parking at Westbury and Carle Place. It says Westbury has day parking for $3 and Carle Place has free street parking. For Hicksville LIRR by the time the 7:29AM express train leaves for Penn all lots are full. When we first moved, my husband got a $120 ticket for parking in the LIRR employee only section b/c he was rushing and didn't notice the miniscule signs good luck.

Parking A Premium At LIRR Stations

Old 05-27-2015, 07:23 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,325,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGiantsFan75 View Post

So you're telling me i'll be out of luck for a parking spot on the the 7:40am train to Penn station?
You will 110% get a spot for a 740 train. You will have to go to the upper level of the garage, or use one of the many outdoor lots that will require a few minute walk. I park in the lot farthest away from the train and I can get a spot at 8:30am.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
You will 110% get a spot for a 740 train. You will have to go to the upper level of the garage, or use one of the many outdoor lots that will require a few minute walk. I park in the lot farthest away from the train and I can get a spot at 8:30am.
Thank You.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: