Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 09:40 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,450,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
No..I'm not nutz. Lived along the coast most of my 6 decades. Flood maps are one of the first things I check!

Also in the same subdivision as the "perfect house".......in an amazing house. Huge Georgian Colonial with views to die for. Above ground walk-out basement with 9 foot ceilings.....raising the first floor to 16 feet.

Zone AE of course...........and it is so priced below market.......it's a crime.

These properties are affected by south facing tidal estuaries and rivers. So I started looking on the eastside of town.........lots closer to the ICW...........as in 400 ft from the sand...........but elevation of these lots is higher and though closer to the water ............the worse Flood Zone is Shaded X!
I dont know of any houses on Long Island that are Colonials on a golf course by a flood zone that are zone AE. Where is this house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2015, 09:48 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,450,810 times
Come January 2016 in Nassau county, when they do the country wide reassessment for first time since January 2011 you may see the areas impacted by Irene and Sandy will have a significant amount of low comps which will drive down assessed value.

Go to Garden City or Rockville Centre not impacted by storm where prices have been rising steadily since last assessment in 2011 and those houses that have been grieving the last few years will see a significant hike in assessed value and property taxes.

My house which I bought in 1999 in a sandy damaged area I pay less property taxes today than I did in 1999. RVC and GC the taxes are like triple since 1999 on some houses. They got wacked in the county wide assessment in 2003 and again they will get wacked in county wide assessment in 2016.

I would love to buy in RVC, GC or Manhasset and can afford it but only a fool would buy between now and Jan 2016 unless house already has high taxes. If house has low taxes and you pay a prem come January 2016 you could end up paying an extra 1k a month in taxes by 2018.

I pay 500 a year full flood on my house a PRP EE Grandfathered Primary home. Yes I am getting up to an 18% increase in flood rates till I am full risk. But that is years away. At that point I guess I will just drop flood down to bare min. Unfortantely the Nassau county tax dept you have no choice but to pay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island