Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 08:22 AM

400 posts, read 761,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
There is a huge distinction. People who enter into private practice, by definition, are there to make a profit. People who enter into public service, by definition, should be there to serve the public. While people weigh the pros and cons of certain jobs, the study required, likelihood of advancement, and many other factors, no one goes to work in the private sphere for any reason other than to make money (with some limited exception in the not-for-profit sphere). The public sector is by definition a different animal.
How is that statement true in any way? Ok, lets get a little broader then... How about "everyone who 'works' is in it to make a profit"

I can tell you that your statement is completely wrong. Some people choose their professions because they that is what they want to do with their lives, money is a secondary factor in their decision. Many of the people I know who went into a profession for the money have either changed careers or are extremely unhappy (Of which I know 2 doctors who are no longer practicing medicine). Lets go back to the original point. Regardless of public or private service, there ARE many individuals who do things for the wrong reason, private sector included and it affects how they perform their job.

Would you rather go to the doctor who is trying to squeeze as many patients in as possible or t he one who sits with you for 15-30 minutes listening to your issues and concerns and then follows up with you. Would you rather have the politician who wants to improve the county services or the one who is just trying to get every benefit he can from his office. Would you rather have your case investigated by the police officer that is just trying to get as many hours as possible, or the one who actually wants the criminal to be brought to justice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2015, 09:44 AM

82 posts, read 119,830 times
If you search "Town of Oyster Bay Corruption Expose" on youtube, there's a lot of recent videos of the town meetings. The lady council chastises Robert Ripp for videotaping and posting these PUBLIC sessions (held at a convenient time 10am!) and then basically calls him insane for bringing up the same issue over and over again when this guy does bring up hosts of other problems this Town is not addressing. Gotta love the way this former NYPD talks his talk!

Every town needs a guy like this to fight for tax payers!
Robert Ripp of Massapequa fined $150 by court for parking boat on grass | Newsday

And every town should elect more candidates like this guy!
Robert K Freier | Candidate, Oyster Bay Council Member | Jericho NY - Democracy.com

Old 08-21-2015, 10:02 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,587,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tummymumma View Post
How is that statement true in any way? Ok, lets get a little broader then... How about "everyone who 'works' is in it to make a profit"

I can tell you that your statement is completely wrong. Some people choose their professions because they that is what they want to do with their lives, money is a secondary factor in their decision. Many of the people I know who went into a profession for the money have either changed careers or are extremely unhappy (Of which I know 2 doctors who are no longer practicing medicine). Lets go back to the original point. Regardless of public or private service, there ARE many individuals who do things for the wrong reason, private sector included and it affects how they perform their job.

Would you rather go to the doctor who is trying to squeeze as many patients in as possible or t he one who sits with you for 15-30 minutes listening to your issues and concerns and then follows up with you. Would you rather have the politician who wants to improve the county services or the one who is just trying to get every benefit he can from his office. Would you rather have your case investigated by the police officer that is just trying to get as many hours as possible, or the one who actually wants the criminal to be brought to justice.
The sole purpose of a corporate entity is to make money for its shareholders. By definition. The people running corporations actually have a fiduciary responsibility to do so.

You fail to draw a distinction between money being the sole factor compared to earning a profit being the most important factor. Ask your doctor friends if they would have chosen the same profession if their training requirements were the same but their compensation was 50% less than it is now. That doesn't mean that, even if compensation is the most important factor, that other factors (such as interest in patient care) are disregarded, as in your example.

Your police officer example is not a good one because she/he is a public servant. Just like a politician.

Old 08-21-2015, 12:20 PM

Quote:
The sole purpose of a corporate entity is to make money for its shareholders. By definition. The people running corporations actually have a fiduciary responsibility to do so.

You fail to draw a distinction between money being the sole factor compared to earning a profit being the most important factor. Ask your doctor friends if they would have chosen the same profession if their training requirements were the same but their compensation was 50% less than it is now. That doesn't mean that, even if compensation is the most important factor, that other factors (such as interest in patient care) are disregarded, as in your example.

Your police officer example is not a good one because she/he is a public servant. Just like a politician.

You seem to be picking at things that jump out at you, more like every word that you you sorta understand. Again money is not a factor here whether its a private or public or semi private public entity, who the hell cares... The drive of the individual is at odds with the purpose. Government is a business, and both goals are to protect the interests of owners/taxpayers or whatever.

If the prime interest of someone is to make money, and thats what their reward for doing their job is, the intention will always suffer, be it a doctor, a lawyer, a police officer. Just ask anyone that works in a temp job if they actually care.

anyway, I will just agree with you to stop this nonsense. Yes greedy people should all go to public corps, anyone with a heart go to public office.

Old 08-21-2015, 12:49 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,587,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tummymumma View Post
You seem to be picking at things that jump out at you, more like every word that you you sorta understand. Again money is not a factor here whether its a private or public or semi private public entity, who the hell cares... The drive of the individual is at odds with the purpose. Government is a business, and both goals are to protect the interests of owners/taxpayers or whatever.

If the prime interest of someone is to make money, and thats what their reward for doing their job is, the intention will always suffer, be it a doctor, a lawyer, a police officer. Just ask anyone that works in a temp job if they actually care.

anyway, I will just agree with you to stop this nonsense. Yes greedy people should all go to public corps, anyone with a heart go to public office.
Completely wrong. The government should not be in the business to make any type of profit. The government's job function should be to provide necessary services at minimum cost and make 0 profit. The private sector is a totally different animal. I have no problem with greedy people working in the private sector at all, because freedom of choice gives us options to choose our doctors, lawyers, ect. We don't really get to choose our government, notwithstanding our ability to have an influence on our elected representatives. Its really night and day.

Irrespective of whether someone "enjoys" a job, compensation will always be the primary motivating factor to work. I enjoy walking on the beach much more than my job, but for some reason I choose to work instead of traipsing up and down Robert Moses State Park. Gee, I wonder why...

Old 08-21-2015, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Completely wrong. The government should not be in the business to make any type of profit. The government's job function should be to provide necessary services at minimum cost and make 0 profit. The private sector is a totally different animal. I have no problem with greedy people working in the private sector at all, because freedom of choice gives us options to choose our doctors, lawyers, ect. We don't really get to choose our government, notwithstanding our ability to have an influence on our elected representatives. Its really night and day.

Irrespective of whether someone "enjoys" a job, compensation will always be the primary motivating factor to work. I enjoy walking on the beach much more than my job, but for some reason I choose to work instead of traipsing up and down Robert Moses State Park. Gee, I wonder why...

No point in saying it again, think what you will.

Old 08-22-2015, 09:16 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
This keeps getting worse...

Quote:
Town of Oyster Bay officials helped a private businessman secure loans by arranging with lenders to have the town pay in case of defaults -- potentially exposing taxpayers to millions of dollars in liabilities, a Newsday investigation has found.
Harendra Singh got $16M in private loans with help from Oyster Bay officials | Newsday

Town of Oyster Bay helps Harendra Singh secure loans, documents show | Newsday

Old 08-23-2015, 09:41 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,886,849 times
^ wow how does the bank even allow that to go through? They do want their money don't they?

Old 08-24-2015, 08:39 AM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
^ wow how does the bank even allow that to go through? They do want their money don't they?
Easy for the Bank to approve it when Venditto and the Town of Oyster Bay basically used the residents of the Town as collateral to secure his buddy's loan.

Old 08-24-2015, 11:14 AM

57,297 posts, read 26,217,746 times
That is pretty amazing, and Venditto indicated he didn't know, I guess anything is possible. Until decent people stand up and kick these people outof office nothing will change bu tin the towns th eparticipation rate is less than 30% and people seem to have short memories.

Sure sounds like someone should go to jail over this, the FBI is still going through Singh's records.

The town not only gave this guy a concession, they arranged the financing for his busines and used the taxpayers to back his loan, can't get any better than that. All the financila problems he had and they were going to extend his contract for another 20 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island