Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 04:54 AM

5 posts, read 9,788 times

Advertisements

Good morning, I am buying my first home. It is a boarded up home and I have to get 2 contractors to give me quotes, the problem is no body calls back or they don't show up when they say they will. Is this the norm? I am so frustrated. If I can get a rec. for a RELIABLE contractor experienced with 203K rehabs I would appreciate it

Also the house has a collapsed cesspool, how do I get that fixed and exactly what does that mean? Does anyone know ballpark how much that will cost?

Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2015, 07:19 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Sounds to me like you are in over your head, no offense. What contractor wants to come give a quote to someone who doesn't even own the house? Understand their position for a minute. Time is money.

If you don't have a good general idea of how much this kind of thing costs, and you have no one in your real life that you can talk to, you are heading down the wrong path. Your other post asks if a certain price is "good" for a dormer. No info on what they price includes. No one can possibly answer that.

Old 09-13-2015, 07:28 AM

1,162 posts, read 1,411,528 times
................and he's in the Town of Huntington. Better plan on ponying up to Petrone's Posse.

Old 09-13-2015, 07:38 AM

755 posts, read 1,080,616 times
First, I would seriously take into consideration what Twingles wrote above.

However, if you're going to try and go through it yourself anyway with no personal contacts, money talks. Offer to pay someone for the estimate. Most likely, you are only going to take the estimates to get your loan approved. Contractors know that and knows they probably aren't going to see you again.

Old 09-13-2015, 10:38 AM

13,056 posts, read 18,121,249 times
All the above are the best advise, but if that doesn't sway you to walk maybe this will. If the home is boarded up, I can only assume that you have not seen the inside either. You just might get in there and find out that the entire home needs to be gutted and started all over again. Do you have the finances to do that? How about the time? Obviously as stated this is your first home, unless you have experience it sounds like you will be on over your head.

Old 09-13-2015, 11:09 AM

1,162 posts, read 1,411,528 times
Spoke with my brother who lives in Greenlawn. He said at least $5k for a new cesspool and the town ordinance now requires front yard installation so if it's in back that's more$$$.

Old 09-13-2015, 11:12 AM

1,404 posts, read 1,541,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longislegal View Post
the problem is no body calls back or they don't show up when they say they will. Is this the norm? I am so frustrated.

Yes, it is the norm.

Finding a reliable and honest contractor is more than half the battle. I'm trying to get some work done on my home right now and am surprised at how things have not changed over the years. They don't show up when they promise to provide a quote or don't call back. One or two who have actually provided an estimate disappeared when I tried to give them the work. Very unprofessional.

As others have mentioned, it is possible you are in over your head. Then again, maybe not.

Money does talk. But I see no reason why a good contractor would refuse to give you an estimate. It is a risk/reward scenario. Sounds like a lot of work needs to be done to the home. Any smart contractor would see the potential payday and be happy to give you an estimate... even if it was a ballpark to see if it was close to your budget. Ignoring a potential customer is never good business.

I have found the best way to get anything done is to deal with someone you "know." Friend of a friend, neighbor's cousin, etc.

Many contractors I have called in the past month tell me how busy they are. One told me it would be a month before they could get someone there for a quote, and then another two months before work could start. I ended up going the "recommended by" route and found reliable people who could do the work in a reasonable timeframe. (Although am still looking for a good mason. They have always been hard to find).

Old 09-13-2015, 11:21 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe461 View Post
Money does talk. But I see no reason why a good contractor would refuse to give you an estimate. It is a risk/reward scenario. Sounds like a lot of work needs to be done to the home. Any smart contractor would see the potential payday and be happy to give you an estimate... even if it was a ballpark to see if it was close to your budget. Ignoring a potential customer is never good business.

This isn't a millionaire looking to come in and tear down and rebuild a house in a fabulous neighborhood. It's someone who clearly only wants the estimates for the purposes of the loan and who knows if they will get the loan, how long it will take, and what the customer can really afford to pay for the rehab. Do you think contractors are stupid? What if they give her the estimate and when she wants the work done, it's not a good time for THEM? Like I said time is money - contractors are out giving estimates to people they know will spend the money. Soon.

My guess is any contractor the OP has called has deleted the message before the OP gets to the end of it, and I don't blame them.

Old 09-13-2015, 11:29 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,532,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longislegal View Post
Good morning, I am buying my first home. It is a boarded up home and I have to get 2 contractors to give me quotes, the problem is no body calls back or they don't show up when they say they will. Is this the norm? I am so frustrated. If I can get a rec. for a RELIABLE contractor experienced with 203K rehabs I would appreciate it

Also the house has a collapsed cesspool, how do I get that fixed and exactly what does that mean? Does anyone know ballpark how much that will cost?

Thanks so much.

Too much of a headache. All to save a few bucks Maybe? Hopefully with no major surprises?
Next.....

Old 09-13-2015, 03:12 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,886,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Sounds to me like you are in over your head, no offense. What contractor wants to come give a quote to someone who doesn't even own the house? Understand their position for a minute. Time is money.
A few contractors did this for us before we closed, but business is probably better for them now than 5 years ago perhaps?

Are you making additions to the house or just getting it fixed up to living condition? If it's the former, I'd save the headaches especially in its current condition for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: