Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 08:57 AM

34 posts, read 38,578 times

Advertisements

Hi. I received a cental air quote of $7500 for a 16 seer 3 ton Trane system and also the same price for a rheem 16 seer 3 ton system. This includes all the duct work and everything. My house is a split 1600 sqft, is this a good price and what brand is better. Also I'm getting a 700 dollar rebate from pseg so total cost will be 6800 bucks.
Thanks in advance for your input
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2015, 09:04 AM

1,481 posts, read 2,229,588 times
"The greatest thing about the internet, is that you can quote something and totally make up the source." - Central AC.

Old 09-18-2015, 11:15 AM

19,281 posts, read 17,164,284 times
The price seems to be very good if your happy with it. Remember that all brands including Rheem & Trane have both high end and low end models just because it's a name brand doesn't make it better. Ensure you know with series they are going to use.

Old 09-18-2015, 12:43 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,912,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Trump View Post
"The greatest thing about the internet, is that you can quote something and totally make up the source." - Central AC.
No idea what you're talking about.

Old 09-18-2015, 03:09 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,298,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
The price seems to be very good if your happy with it. Remember that all brands including Rheem & Trane have both high end and low end models just because it's a name brand doesn't make it better. Ensure you know with series they are going to use.
If that's a Trane XR16 it's a decent system, but single speed I believe. Not especially efficient. Pretty noisy (but probably comparable to other older single-speed systems). Probably paired with a TEM4 air handler.

I ended up going with the Trane XV18 which is a variable-speed system, combined with a variable-speed air handler. This is for a house down south so the need for AC was higher and the prices are no doubt different, and probably double your quote including the communicating thermostat which constantly monitors the air handler and compressor. The benefit of the higher end system is that it's more efficient, a lot more quiet (no more big "buzz" when the compressor kicks in and no gusts of air from the vents), and comfort to within 1/2 a degree. But I run my AC year-round.

Old 09-18-2015, 08:27 PM

19,281 posts, read 17,164,284 times
/\

Like you we run a/c for a substantial part of the year so a higher end system could be a benefit. One problem in NY is the mindset that you turn the system off at night because it gets cooler. Or as my mom would do to my horror (even here in VA) she would turn it off in the morning because it was cool out then turn it on at 4:30 when it starts to get warm. People have posted on this board they do the same thing, with that said the benefits of a multi speed system will be wasted better they get a single speed system with a good SEER.

Old 09-19-2015, 03:16 AM

5,300 posts, read 4,789,379 times
Quote:
/\

Like you we run a/c for a substantial part of the year so a higher end system could be a benefit. One problem in NY is the mindset that you turn the system off at night because it gets cooler. Or as my mom would do to my horror (even here in VA) she would turn it off in the morning because it was cool out then turn it on at 4:30 when it starts to get warm. People have posted on this board they do the same thing, with that said the benefits of a multi speed system will be wasted better they get a single speed system with a good SEER.
True. I read several articles on this when having a new system installed last year. High SEER and variable speed benefits are minimal up here compared to say Arizona, Florida etc. where the unit is
S running all the time almost all year long. The savings are not worth the extra cost IMO. But to the OP that seems like a very good price, especially with duct work.

Old 09-20-2015, 09:06 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,298,421 times
Quote:
/\

I did the math and based upon my electric rate (11 cents/kWh) the break even was something like 10 years, so I upgraded at build time based upon comfort and features. I agree that for LI it may never pay off even with PSEGLI rates.

What's probably most important is a properly-sized system. My old house on LI had a 13 SEER system that could barely keep up on the hottest days...meaning it was running well into the night and the house couldn't get below 78-80. The attic floor was insulated but being a 60 year old house there was only so much that could be done. It probably could have benefited from a slightly larger system.

I know someone else who totally oversized their AC and the thing short cycles like crazy which puts more wear on the compressor and lessens efficiency.

Old 09-22-2015, 12:16 AM

172 posts, read 719,691 times
have you consider mini splitter units? no duct work to run or cleaned. everything is done outside the house and they are pretty energy efficient. i had my splitters put in 3 years ago and they are great.

Old 09-22-2015, 09:55 AM

34 posts, read 38,578 times
Thanks for all the answer. I have all the walls open since im renovating the house, so I rather have duct work put in instead of the mini splits. I went with the trane system with the pseg rebate the total will 6800. Only thing the company does not do the high voltage wiring. This makes no sense to me considering they're a hvac company. Anyway is it hard to wire the unit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island