Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 08:01 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,520,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
Well, if you can offer a plausible, non-discriminatory reason for starting this thread, I'm open to hearing about it.

In the interim, I'm still excited for you to tell me which of these individuals are from "Latino Countries."
I don't want to get in the way of your usual Hispanic white knighting but if they're Americans of Hispanic descent, isn't that worse? Like, if they're recent immigrants, at least you could argue that maybe they don't understand the law or something but if they're born here then, well... Maybe you could go with the NCPD being racist? Help me out here, I'm probably whitesplainin' again lol!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2015, 08:04 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
Quote:
Well, if you can offer a plausible, non-discriminatory reason for starting this thread, I'm open to hearing about it.

In the interim, I'm still excited for you to tell me which of these individuals are from "Latino Countries."

I didn't start the thread. Perhaps their parents were born in Latin America, and perhaps didn't warn their little darlings of the dangers of DWI.

Either way, go back to being ignorantly holier than thou if it makes you feel special.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:01 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,586,584 times
I just want to know what was the point of this thread and how dman knows which of the people arrested were from "Latino Counties"?

Old 09-24-2015, 09:04 AM

Quote:
I just want to know what was the point of this thread and how dmac knows (as he intimated) which of the people arrested were from "Latino Counties"?
I just want to know why it is so difficult for you to accept the fact that drunk driving rates are higher amongst Hispanics.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I just want to know why it is so difficult for you to accept the fact that drunk driving rates are higher amongst Hispanics.
I will assume that your answer is that you don't know which individuals were from "Latino Countries," which means your post, much like this thread, was pointless.

Old 09-24-2015, 10:35 AM

Quote:
I will assume that your answer is that you don't know which individuals were from "Latino Countries," which means your post, much like this thread, was pointless.
I will presume that your answer is "I know that Hispanics have higher incidences of DWI than other ethnic groups. Instead of admitting that I was wrong to assume this claim was unsubstantiated bluster coming from racists, I'd like to quibble over semantics to deflect from the point because I'm dishonest".

Old 09-24-2015, 10:40 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,520,698 times
Careful dman, if you embarrass him enough he won't hesitate to block you

Old 09-24-2015, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I will presume that your answer is "I know that Hispanics have higher incidences of DWI than other ethnic groups. Instead of admitting that I was wrong to assume this claim was unsubstantiated bluster coming from racists, I'd like to quibble over semantics to deflect from the point because I'm dishonest".
I am not intellectually dishonest (unlike your admittedly racist friend), so I would not dispute fairly collected data on the subject. If that's what the numbers bear out, then I take no issue with them.

But what's the point of this thread? To spark an intellectual discussion about reducing incidences of DWI in Nassau County? No. To engage in discourse regarding ways to reduce DWIs among Hispanics? Nope. The sole purpose of this thread was to use anecdotal incidents to bash Hispanics, as the OP has done on many a previous occasion (usually by suggesting that minorities are culturally inferior to whites).

But don't cry "arguing semantics" with me. You came in and started spouting off about "Latino Countries" but when asked to back up your statements, you couldn't do it.

I'm all for having a reasonable discussion about race relations. This thread is not an example of one of those discussions.

Old 09-24-2015, 11:12 AM

Quote:
I am not intellectually dishonest (unlike your admittedly racist friend), so I would not dispute fairly collected data on the subject. If that's what the numbers bear out, then I take no issue with them.

But what's the point of this thread? To spark an intellectual discussion about reducing incidences of DWI in Nassau County? No. To engage in discourse regarding ways to reduce DWIs among Hispanics? Nope. The sole purpose of this thread was to use anecdotal incidents to bash Hispanics, as the OP has done on many a previous occasion (usually by suggesting that minorities are culturally inferior to whites).

But don't cry "arguing semantics" with me. You came in and started spouting off about "Latino Countries" but when asked to back up your statements, you couldn't do it.

I'm all for having a reasonable discussion about race relations. This thread is not an example of one of those discussions.

I never said anyone was trying to have a reasonable discussion or that the OP's intention was benevolent or malicious.

Old 09-24-2015, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe461 View Post
When I saw this I didn't think of profiling. What caught my eye was "charged" as opposed to convicted.

Maybe I am the only one who finds it troubling that we apply the "Scarlet Letter" based on an accusation. Isn't is even _possible_ that one or more of these people are innocent?

Where does it end? Do we start publishing lists of everyone accused of any type of crime? Is due process gone? Is there no more "innocent until PROVEN guilty?"

I am absolutely opposed to people driving under the influence. However, this type of public shaming does more to prevent driving than it does drunk driving. How would you feel if you were wrongly accused of a crime and had your name plastered throughout the community as if you were already convicted?
This is the best post in the thread by the way, and a very serious issue in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island