Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 12:00 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,075,630 times

Advertisements

Money doesn't buy happiness, but the lack of money certainly can buy misery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 06:11 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,882,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
All very good points. Another thing that I often wonder about is, the people (you know who you are) with high pay, long hour, high stress, jobs in the city who live in "the best" towns who claim that it's a sacrifice that they make "for their kids": how many of them are truly doing it for their kids and truly think it's really what's best for their kids? And how many of them are doing it for their own ego (either because they have a "keeping up with the Jonses" personality, or because they have Type A personalities and love work above anything else) but use their children as a way to justify it?

One other category is people with long hour, high stress jobs in the city because they have no other choice.
If you had kids (especially here), this wouldn't even be a question that needs asking.

Old 10-07-2015, 06:54 PM

156 posts, read 219,243 times
Quote:
All very good points. Another thing that I often wonder about is, the people (you know who you are) with high pay, long hour, high stress, jobs in the city who live in "the best" towns who claim that it's a sacrifice that they make "for their kids": how many of them are truly doing it for their kids and truly think it's really what's best for their kids?
Probably not. Take a look at their kids as they get older. Are they set up with trust funds, inherited businesses, paid up houses? Or are they left to fend for themselves after they get their degree? There are some parents who genuinely transfer wealth and connections but a decent amount work for their own ego and use their kids as some noble cause to justify their insanity.

Old 10-07-2015, 09:18 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,047,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
If you had kids (especially here), this wouldn't even be a question that needs asking.
Sounds like SuffolkIntellect agrees with me and not with you! If you actually had a valid point, you wouldn't have felt the need to respond with your snarky reply. Instead, you would have explained why you think kids benefit from more material goods and a better name on their high school transcript, at the expense of time with family, and why parents should consider that to be a good trade-off. I'm not even sure why people like you even bother to have kids if you aren't going to spend any time with them. Seems you just want to feed your own ego by saying they graduated from the "best" high school. Sounds like SuffolkIntellect is right!

Old 10-08-2015, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Sounds like SuffolkIntellect agrees with me and not with you! If you actually had a valid point, you wouldn't have felt the need to respond with your snarky reply. Instead, you would have explained why you think kids benefit from more material goods and a better name on their high school transcript, at the expense of time with family, and why parents should consider that to be a good trade-off. I'm not even sure why people like you even bother to have kids if you aren't going to spend any time with them. Seems you just want to feed your own ego by saying they graduated from the "best" high school. Sounds like SuffolkIntellect is right!
It depends. Are we talking CSH/Manhasset/Jericho compared to Massapequa/Bellmore/Centerport/Kings Park? Or compared to Copiague/Bellport/Deer Park/Selden? Big difference.

I might add that in most top Nassau towns, unless you are very wealthy, they are aesthetically very average. Take a look at real estate in Roslyn, Jericho, Garden City, Port Washington, Manhasset, Great Neck in the $1-2 million range. Pretty modest IMO. If I was looking at homes in the low 7 figures, give me a waterfront with a dock in Nissequogue, Fort Salonga, or Asharoken over an ugly splanch in Jericho.

Old 10-08-2015, 09:37 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,478,550 times
Quote:
Yeah I think the "for the kids" and "school district" stuff is often just an excuse

Of course you wouldn't want your kids to go to a horrible school district or live in a crappy area, but I don't think a wealthy area is any better than a middle class one.

Old 10-08-2015, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuffolkIntellect View Post
It depends. Are we talking CSH/Manhasset/Jericho compared to Massapequa/Bellmore/Centerport/Kings Park? Or compared to Copiague/Bellport/Deer Park/Selden? Big difference.
Another good point. I agree that upgrading from a district such as Brentwood to a district such as Sachem will give you a huge advantage and probably is worth some short term sacrifice. But there is a law of diminishing returns where upgrading from Sachem to Jericho might not be worth the money or the sacrifices that it would require. The exception would be in very specific cases where you have a kid who might benefit from a specific program that is offered at Jericho but not Sachem. The problem is that you are likely choosing your school district before you know what services your children will need or desire. Moving later on doesn't always help since those programs often favor people who have been in the district from the beginning. And, you may have different children with different needs. If you have one child who is a potential Intel science fair participant, and another who needs special ed, it is not likely that they will both be best served by the same school district.

Quote:
I might add that in most top Nassau towns, unless you are very wealthy, they are aesthetically very average. Take a look at real estate in Roslyn, Jericho, Garden City, Port Washington, Manhasset, Great Neck in the $1-2 million range. Pretty modest IMO. If I was looking at homes in the low 7 figures, give me a waterfront with a dock in Nissequogue, Fort Salonga, or Asharoken over an ugly splanch in Jericho.
Where I don't agree with you and others on this forum is, what is the point of having a waterfront home with a dock in Nissequogue if you are commuting to the city and literally will not have the time to enjoy it? Wouldn't you be better off closer to the city?

Old 10-08-2015, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Yeah I think the "for the kids" and "school district" stuff is often just an excuse

Of course you wouldn't want your kids to go to a horrible school district or live in a crappy area, but I don't think a wealthy area is any better than a middle class one.
Glad another poster agreed with me!

Old 10-08-2015, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Another good point. I agree that upgrading from a district such as Brentwood to a district such as Sachem will give you a huge advantage and probably is worth some short term sacrifice. But there is a law of diminishing returns where upgrading from Sachem to Jericho might not be worth the money or the sacrifices that it would require. The exception would be in very specific cases where you have a kid who might benefit from a specific program that is offered at Jericho but not Sachem. The problem is that you are likely choosing your school district before you know what services your children will need or desire. Moving later on doesn't always help since those programs often favor people who have been in the district from the beginning. And, you may have different children with different needs. If you have one child who is a potential Intel science fair participant, and another who needs special ed, it is not likely that they will both be best served by the same school district.

Where I don't agree with you and others on this forum is, what is the point of having a waterfront home with a dock in Nissequogue if you are commuting to the city and literally will not have the time to enjoy it? Wouldn't you be better off closer to the city?
Good point. Personally, I wouldn't live on LI if I had to commute to the city.

Old 10-09-2015, 07:00 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,376,224 times
I live in a dump and I'm as happy as a clam life's what you make it, seriously.

If you can't find ways to be happy, it's your own fault
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island