Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 10:03 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
When I was five years old I recall trick or treating on the Grand Concourse because all the Rich jewish lawyers and doctors lived there.

By the time I was ten it was becoming slummy, by the time I was 13 it was crackheads.

Kinda fast change.
Yes. Sad, really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 10:15 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,772,847 times
Quote:
When I was five years old I recall trick or treating on the Grand Concourse because all the Rich jewish lawyers and doctors lived there.

By the time I was ten it was becoming slummy, by the time I was 13 it was crackheads.

Kinda fast change.
Wow Grand Concourse was actually NICE at one time???

Old 10-07-2015, 11:48 AM

22,671 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
My mom worked nights and woukd take the bus home to their apartment off the concourse. My dad went to HS in the shadow of Yankee Stadium and took the subway to school from Washington Heeights. The schools is still there (All Hallows) and I believe it's almost entirely black and entirely scholarship.

Old 10-07-2015, 12:08 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,450,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post

When my parents got married in 1957 they both lived in Manhattan. They moved to the suburbs of the Bronx.

The Grand Concourse was where the wealthy Jewish Manhattan Doctors lived. Huge lobbies and brass rails.

My building a few blocks off Grand Concourse my neighbor was a Doctor and his Wife who raised her Ivy league sons in that apt. Husband died when I was little, short before we moved she passed away. We bought some used expensive furniture off her sons at the estate sale. I still the beautiful desk left to me by my Mom that the Doctor's wife would use to write out bills to patents and keep track of things. It is from the 1930s.

My Mom at one point when single had an grandaunt who owned a building on 73rd on the Park in Manhattan where she lived. This is now around 1951. Her Rich very old relatives. Actually owned a Farm in the Bronx walking distance from the train. They take the train from 72nd street to the farm for dinner.

The older Jewish folks will tell you the Bronx started going down him in the 1950s when the Irish moved in and even further down hill when Italians followed, soon to be followed by Crackheads and gangs by the early 1970s. By 1973 when it was full blown crazy. A kid in my class Dad got off the train with the Daily News under his arm, a crack yells give me the paper, he says no and he stabs him to death right at six pm on a crowded platform.

My brass rails were stolen in my building, glass doors broken down and super had a guard dog to keep crack heads out of lobby. Stolen cars and Graffiti everywhere. Now imagine this is 1973. Only ten years earlier in 1963 building full of wealthy Jewish Professionals and a few Irish families with brass rails, marble lobby and gleaming French doors. It happened real quick.

Old 10-07-2015, 01:42 PM

1,805 posts, read 2,367,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
do you even file a tax return?
lol @ the though of that. Don't think the man has ever worked a minute in his life.

Old 10-07-2015, 04:20 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,587,882 times
Quote:
When my parents got married in 1957 they both lived in Manhattan. They moved to the suburbs of the Bronx.

The Grand Concourse was where the wealthy Jewish Manhattan Doctors lived. Huge lobbies and brass rails.

My building a few blocks off Grand Concourse my neighbor was a Doctor and his Wife who raised her Ivy league sons in that apt. Husband died when I was little, short before we moved she passed away. We bought some used expensive furniture off her sons at the estate sale. I still the beautiful desk left to me by my Mom that the Doctor's wife would use to write out bills to patents and keep track of things. It is from the 1930s.

My Mom at one point when single had an grandaunt who owned a building on 73rd on the Park in Manhattan where she lived. This is now around 1951. Her Rich very old relatives. Actually owned a Farm in the Bronx walking distance from the train. They take the train from 72nd street to the farm for dinner.

The older Jewish folks will tell you the Bronx started going down him in the 1950s when the Irish moved in and even further down hill when Italians followed, soon to be followed by Crackheads and gangs by the early 1970s. By 1973 when it was full blown crazy. A kid in my class Dad got off the train with the Daily News under his arm, a crack yells give me the paper, he says no and he stabs him to death right at six pm on a crowded platform.

My brass rails were stolen in my building, glass doors broken down and super had a guard dog to keep crack heads out of lobby. Stolen cars and Graffiti everywhere. Now imagine this is 1973. Only ten years earlier in 1963 building full of wealthy Jewish Professionals and a few Irish families with brass rails, marble lobby and gleaming French doors. It happened real quick.
Probably seriously hastened by the financial condition of NYC at that time

Old 10-10-2015, 09:55 AM

11,638 posts, read 12,709,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
Probably seriously hastened by the financial condition of NYC at that time
No, not really. More like the "war on poverty/urban renewal" programs in combination with Robert Moses E.D. made the Bronx one of NYC's dumping grounds for low income and criminals, as well as white flight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island