Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 08:01 AM

2,033 posts, read 3,208,811 times

Advertisements

It is kind of Target marketing. HMart will target areas where there is a large Asian population now..or at least headed that way in the foreceeable future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2015, 09:20 PM

38 posts, read 30,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
No you stop being silly. H-Mart is nothing like a full service American supermarket. It's an Asian specialty market, great if you want Asian stuff, useless if you want typical every day stuff you would have found at waldbaums.

I used to shop at that store all the time when I lived in brookville, now they only option for those living in that area is whole foods unless you want noodles, frogs, fish heads, and Korean BBQ.
I can't believe I am reading this. According to your post, typical every day stuff that I would want to buy from Waldbaum's is not available from H-Mart? Your statement is provably untrue.

This weekend, we bought (from Fairway, but it could have been H-Mart) milk, cheese, eggs, broccoli, spinach, scallions, potatoes, oranges, bananas, chicken breast, salmon, and chocolate chip cookies. Call me crazy, but I consider these "every day" items. For an "Asian specialty market", I would have been able to pick up everything except, possibly, the cookies.

I'd really like to know what every day items are so crucial to you (and are not available at H-Mart) that would cause you to dismiss the place as useless.

Old 12-01-2015, 08:34 AM

15 posts, read 44,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
There's also Best Market on Lake Grove/Centereach border at the intersection of Hawkins and MCR.

I have a Stop and Shop and Wild By Nature near me. The King Kullen closed a few months ago. A number of local people (myself included) have noticed the Setauket Stop and Shops haven't been up to par in recent months. Both Stony Brook and Setauket Waldbaums are closing and there has not been much news as to who may/may not acquire either location. Once Waldbaums closes, there will be no supermarket in Stony Brook. For those without a car, it will involve a bus ride or long walk crossing 347 or up to 25A in Setauket.
I live in the area right in back of this shopping center where the Waldbaum's was on 347 in Setauket. While it has never been my preferred to because the types of foods I eat Stop and Shop is competitive on and, in fact, often competing with Wild By Nature on certain items, but this store location is very, very important to us in this neighborhod, as well as the apartment and condo complexes next to it. The biggest problem with it was that it was not well-run. But we were there all the time because we could walk there and it is a big deal for many, many people here who do not drive.

I was without a car since Thanksgiving night and my brother came out on Saturday and I went to my preferred Stop and Shop. Well, well, well, I guess it's no surprise that many items have gone up in price since the closing of both King Kullen in June and now Waldbaum's, together with the sign welcoming former Waldbaum's customers. For example, I was thrilled several months ago to find out I could get plain peanut butter at Stop and Shop for $2.19 for 16 oz. In fact, I think the last time I bought it a month ago it was still at that price. On Saturday it had shot up to $2.99. Still a decent price compared to even peanut butter with all the garbage added in, but that sure is an incredible price hike in one month, and I'm sure this has happened on other items, as well. Competition does work, it's been proven.

We, and others, in this highly-populated area, can make do for certain items by using Walmart and/or BJ's, but it really doesn't fit the bill -- by any long shot. Walmart is shoddy at best and unless you're a BJ's member and buying in bulk makes sense all the time, the use for that store for groceries is also limited.

It looks like our Walbaum's was bought by "Real Estate Entities," so who knows what that means? So far the Waldbaum's in Stony Brook still has "no bid" listed on the Supermarket News website. The King Kullen on Route 25A in Setauket, empty now for almost six months, has no sign at all as to plans yet. More big empty stores, something that LI is becoming more and more awash in.

Old 12-01-2015, 09:15 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,771,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likm View Post
I can't believe I am reading this. According to your post, typical every day stuff that I would want to buy from Waldbaum's is not available from H-Mart? Your statement is provably untrue.

This weekend, we bought (from Fairway, but it could have been H-Mart) milk, cheese, eggs, broccoli, spinach, scallions, potatoes, oranges, bananas, chicken breast, salmon, and chocolate chip cookies. Call me crazy, but I consider these "every day" items. For an "Asian specialty market", I would have been able to pick up everything except, possibly, the cookies.

I'd really like to know what every day items are so crucial to you (and are not available at H-Mart) that would cause you to dismiss the place as useless.
LOL! Fairway is hardly H-Mart. Are you kidding me? Seriously there are literally countless brand names you can't find at H-Mart but can find at virtually every other non-specialty grocery store in the US. Yes of course you can get eggs, bananas, produce, and other basic things there. Big Deal.

Old 12-01-2015, 10:20 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,254,959 times
this may have already been addressed - but does anyone know what the waldbaums on 110 by the northern state parkway is going to turn into? if anything?

Old 12-01-2015, 10:55 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likm View Post

If you had shopped at H-Mart, you might have been able to prove it untrue, but you didn't.

http://www.hmart.com/company_new/cou...=&lan_type=eng
This week's circular has overlap in the meats/produce that one might find at the former Waldbaum's. There is one name brand product which H-Mart advertises that Waldbaum's would have carried. I don't see Manischevitz, Goya, Boars Head, Quaker, Pepperidge Farms, Polly-O -- to name a few.

Old 12-01-2015, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samalabear View Post
I live in the area right in back of this shopping center where the Waldbaum's was on 347 in Setauket. While it has never been my preferred to because the types of foods I eat Stop and Shop is competitive on and, in fact, often competing with Wild By Nature on certain items, but this store location is very, very important to us in this neighborhod, as well as the apartment and condo complexes next to it. The biggest problem with it was that it was not well-run. But we were there all the time because we could walk there and it is a big deal for many, many people here who do not drive.

I was without a car since Thanksgiving night and my brother came out on Saturday and I went to my preferred Stop and Shop. Well, well, well, I guess it's no surprise that many items have gone up in price since the closing of both King Kullen in June and now Waldbaum's, together with the sign welcoming former Waldbaum's customers. For example, I was thrilled several months ago to find out I could get plain peanut butter at Stop and Shop for $2.19 for 16 oz. In fact, I think the last time I bought it a month ago it was still at that price. On Saturday it had shot up to $2.99. Still a decent price compared to even peanut butter with all the garbage added in, but that sure is an incredible price hike in one month, and I'm sure this has happened on other items, as well. Competition does work, it's been proven.

We, and others, in this highly-populated area, can make do for certain items by using Walmart and/or BJ's, but it really doesn't fit the bill -- by any long shot. Walmart is shoddy at best and unless you're a BJ's member and buying in bulk makes sense all the time, the use for that store for groceries is also limited.

It looks like our Walbaum's was bought by "Real Estate Entities," so who knows what that means? So far the Waldbaum's in Stony Brook still has "no bid" listed on the Supermarket News website. The King Kullen on Route 25A in Setauket, empty now for almost six months, has no sign at all as to plans yet. More big empty stores, something that LI is becoming more and more awash in.
It is completely frustrating.

As for Stop and Shop prices: I used S&S before the KK in Setauket opened. I had noticed that when they were doubling coupons, they jacked up prices on other items. I used Toms of Maine mouthwash and as soon as doubling started, it had gone up from around $2.49 to $4. Other items I was once able to get in a larger, economical size at Edwards were no longer carried when S&S took over.

As for what will become of these stores -- I am not holding my breath expecting SB Waldbaums to be purchased anytime soon. I'm hoping the Waldbaums by you will become a decent supermarket and not more of what we already have.

Old 12-01-2015, 11:30 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,586,584 times
Quote:
If you had shopped at H-Mart, you might have been able to prove it untrue, but you didn't.

http://www.hmart.com/company_new/cou...=&lan_type=eng
This week's circular has overlap in the meats/produce that one might find at the former Waldbaum's. There is one name brand product which H-Mart advertises that Waldbaum's would have carried. I don't see Manischevitz, Goya, Boars Head, Quaker, Pepperidge Farms, Polly-O -- to name a few.

Polly-O
https://www.hmart.com/shopnow/shopno...p=071040063300

Quaker:
https://www.instacart.com/hmart/prod...-oats-18-ounce

Goya:
Hmart.com: Goya 100% Pure Coconut Water 16.9 fl oz (500ml)
Hmart.com: GOYA ADOBO-ALL PURPOSE SEASONING 226 g
One Yelp reviewer says that have "Spanish Goya products" H Mart - 165 Photos - Grocery - Hartsdale, NY - Reviews - Yelp

The Westchester one carries Boars Head, not sure about LI:
The H-Mart Food Court and Ranking the Best Westchester Cronuts - Eat. Drink. Post. - September 2013 - Westchester, NY

Pepperidge Farm:
https://www.instacart.com/hmart/prod...e-cookies-6-oz

Not sure about the Manischevitz, but I'm not convinced that a Kosher product is any less "specialty" than the Asian products HMart carries. It just caters to a different crowd.

Seems to me that they carry most of the "typical every day stuff you would have found at Waldbaums."

Old 12-01-2015, 11:53 AM

My point was likm insisted that they were comparable for everyday shopping but instead of proving it as s/he claimed, they shopped at Fairway. I listed some general and specialized items I could find at local groceries which weren't on the H-Mart circular.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
Polly-O
https://www.hmart.com/shopnow/shopno...p=071040063300

Quaker:
https://www.instacart.com/hmart/prod...-oats-18-ounce

Goya:
Hmart.com: Goya 100% Pure Coconut Water 16.9 fl oz (500ml)
Hmart.com: GOYA ADOBO-ALL PURPOSE SEASONING 226 g
One Yelp reviewer says that have "Spanish Goya products" H Mart - 165 Photos - Grocery - Hartsdale, NY - Reviews - Yelp

The Westchester one carries Boars Head, not sure about LI:
The H-Mart Food Court and Ranking the Best Westchester Cronuts - Eat. Drink. Post. - September 2013 - Westchester, NY

Pepperidge Farm:
https://www.instacart.com/hmart/prod...e-cookies-6-oz

Not sure about the Manischevitz, but I'm not convinced that a Kosher product is any less "specialty" than the Asian products HMart carries. It just caters to a different crowd.

Seems to me that they carry most of the "typical every day stuff you would have found at Waldbaums."
Quaker -- the link goes to a service in Cambridge, MA. I placed my zip code into it, 11790, not serviced, but noted that they do carry some Quaker.

Goya -- when I placed Goya into the search box, those were the two Goya products available were those you've indicated. Coconut water isn't exclusively Goya as many other companies have jumped on that bandwagon. No Sazon, Sofrito, pigeon peas -- things I buy regularly.

Good to know about Boars Head.

When I entered Pepperidge Farm into the H-Mart search, there was nothing.

On a whim I searched Barry's Tea -- zero results returned.

I would check out H-Mart on a whim, but do not see all of the items I would look for in our brief searches.

Old 12-01-2015, 12:25 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,771,626 times
Quote:

I would check out H-Mart on a whim, but do not see all of the items I would look for in our brief searches.
And you won't because H-Mart isn't, nor is it meant to be a replacement for Waldbaum's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island