Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2015, 10:43 PM

21 posts, read 25,738 times

Advertisements

Dear all,

I am looking into options to move to GC. One consideration is the availability of after school program for elementary school.

I saw that there is a program available from the school district that would transport the kids to another location for after school program. However the hours are till 530 pm only.

The hours seem very tight.
Does anyone have any experience with the GC after school programs? Any other options ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2015, 07:59 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
I used to live in GC, that's the only option besides paying someone to come to your home.

There's no YMCA or such nearby, and there's no transportation anywhere else. GC school district owns its own buses, and they will bus your kid to the school district after school program but that's it.

Old 11-22-2015, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I used to live in GC, that's the only option besides paying someone to come to your home.

There's no YMCA or such nearby, and there's no transportation anywhere else. GC school district owns its own buses, and they will bus your kid to the school district after school program but that's it.
Thank you! How did you like Garden City school district ?

Old 11-22-2015, 10:29 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
I liked it. I like the schools where I am now better to be honest. No union machine calling the shots, just teachers doing what teachers do. We had some really good teachers in GC, and one that we still haven't recovered from (and she's been removed from a regular classroom, which is next to impossible in NY, so that should tell you something).

Old 11-22-2015, 11:04 AM

400 posts, read 761,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caringparent2009 View Post
Dear all,

I am looking into options to move to GC. One consideration is the availability of after school program for elementary school.

I saw that there is a program available from the school district that would transport the kids to another location for after school program. However the hours are till 530 pm only.

The hours seem very tight.
Does anyone have any experience with the GC after school programs? Any other options ?
5:30PM is very tight. I work in the city and to get to my kids aftercare program at 6-6:15PM, I have to leave at around 4:30ish.... I get in at 8 so its not a big deal, but I always find that when I leave Its rush rush.... and stressful.. I think at 5:30 is ok if you work close by...

Old 11-22-2015, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I liked it. I like the schools where I am now better to be honest. No union machine calling the shots, just teachers doing what teachers do. We had some really good teachers in GC, and one that we still haven't recovered from (and she's been removed from a regular classroom, which is next to impossible in NY, so that should tell you something).
Hey, How do you like New Hyde Park in comparison to Garden City? As a place to live and for kids.

Old 11-24-2015, 08:04 AM

694 posts, read 1,203,602 times
New Hyde Park is a lot more diverse than Garden City, not in a bad sense, many Southeast Asian families move there from nearby Queens, and they care about education and push their kids. It's a safe town, just might not be as pretty as GC, and also, GC has this cute feel to it with the Franklin street and the Seventh street stores and eateries, almost a European feel to it, while NHP has the Jericho Turnpike cutting through it, however, if you can buy in NHP close to GC, that's great.

Old 04-10-2017, 02:23 AM

2 posts, read 2,318 times
I grew up in Hempstead (1960 - 75). I was white and went to Hempstead High School. The majority of the kids were minorities and were good kids, and their parents wanted what most parents want--their children to get a good education, stay out of trouble, etc. I faced the most problems from kids from other towns who belittled and bullied me for living in Hempstead. Prejudice is basically what led to Hempstead's downfall in that the governmental agencies turned a blind eye to what was happening. Nobody from the governmental agencies seemed to care when bad elements started moving in. The people living and working in Hempstead did not get the same protection afforded to other towns. The housing inspectors (some of whom were landlords) laughed off complaints. After business went down, with stores closing, the murder of Martin Luther King, Jr., and the aftermath, the governmental agencies again did little to help the residents and businesses of Hempstead. Hempstead holds a lot of priceless history that should be embraced; unfortunately, there seems to be little respect for history and our forefathers anymore. I believe that if Hempstead was given some respect for what it was and could be, it could become a place where people would want to move and would be able to enjoy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island