Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 02:34 PM

4,699 posts, read 8,771,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelightfulNYC View Post
I find it amazing and a bit shocking that homes in RVC with Oceanside schools and incorporated RVC taxes dont really have any discount. On price or taxes.
discount compared to Oceanside or Lynbrook? Nope. Discount compared to comparable homes in Village with RVC schools. Yes, but you're still not getting any bargains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2015, 05:10 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,540,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
discount compared to Oceanside or Lynbrook? Nope. Discount compared to comparable homes in Village with RVC schools. Yes, but you're still not getting any bargains.
No bargains in RVC, that's for sure, but Oceanside-zoned RVC is as close as you are going to get to a "good value" in RVC. Baldwin-zoned houses are even cheaper, and they're often really nice houses.

In my opinion, Lynbrook (with Lynbrook schools) represents the best bang-for-the buck in that vicinity.

Old 12-15-2015, 06:36 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,161,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibson station View Post
No bargains in RVC, that's for sure, but Oceanside-zoned RVC is as close as you are going to get to a "good value" in RVC. Baldwin-zoned houses are even cheaper, and they're often really nice houses.

In my opinion, Lynbrook (with Lynbrook schools) represents the best bang-for-the buck in that vicinity.
RVC incorporated with oceanside schools is pretty high taxed. Assessor just sees RVC and taxes it as such. Plus you have the village taxes.

But I do see young couples often buy in the greystone area a small fixer upper cape pre-kids which has oceanside schools to get in door of RVC, then do catholic schools or trade up later. Oceanside has a very good kindergarten center. So you really have all the way up to first grade if you live in RVC with Oceanside schools to move to RVC proper or or do Catholic Schools.

Old 12-21-2015, 08:25 PM

5 posts, read 9,575 times
To answer your question, no Oceanside goes to OS schools. That said, Oceanside is a fine district. I do not agree with a previous poster and wish they would explain their position rather than simply state it, especially if they have inside information. RVC is statically better, not arguing that and I'm sure has more resources. But you have to remember it's generally a more affluent area, where parents can afford more outside resources, and may only have one parent in the work force full time (assumption), can afford tutors, best technologies, reinforce lessons with experiences outside of the classroom (i.e., educational vacations) and etc....With that, I just don't see any reason why a good student with the right support from their family would not thrive in Oceanside schools.. We have children in the district who are doing more than fine... Just my .02.

Old 12-22-2015, 07:24 AM

20,128 posts, read 20,922,481 times
Oceanside does not want to deal with troubled students. Kids that do well on their own and follow along with the program are not the issue. The kids that need help and re-enforcement are pushed aside or labeled or classified. Many(not all) of the teachers are lazy and have no passion for their job. They are there for the bloated pay check. I've put a few kids through Oceanside, I've witnessed the nonsense first hand, the games and lip service. I only got results when I made legal threats and even then had minimal results. I am not the only one.
There are many parents who have gone and still going through the same experience as we did. They just don't care. I personally know some of the teachers and staff and they have confirmed the attitude of many of the teachers, they don't want to do anymore work than they have to. It's disgusting. They manipulate the system to keep the ratings up to justify the bloated salaries. End of story.

Old 12-22-2015, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Oceanside does not want to deal with troubled students. Kids that do well on their own and follow along with the program are not the issue. The kids that need help and re-enforcement are pushed aside or labeled or classified. Many(not all) of the teachers are lazy and have no passion for their job. They are there for the bloated pay check. I've put a few kids through Oceanside, I've witnessed the nonsense first hand, the games and lip service. I only got results when I made legal threats and even then had minimal results. I am not the only one.
There are many parents who have gone and still going through the same experience as we did. They just don't care. I personally know some of the teachers and staff and they have confirmed the attitude of many of the teachers, they don't want to do anymore work than they have to. It's disgusting. They manipulate the system to keep the ratings up to justify the bloated salaries. End of story.
Oceanside High School Castleton is where those kids are at, they are not at regular Oceanside HS.

Old 12-22-2015, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelightfulNYC View Post
Oceanside High School Castleton is where those kids are at, they are not at regular Oceanside HS.
That is where they are banished to.
It's like exile.

Old 12-23-2015, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
That is where they are banished to.
It's like exile.
Lot of those kids are using drugs or drinking or act up in class. They are segregated for a reason. It is a punishment, the point is to get grade point average up, behave and get back to regular HS.

it is a super embarrassing situation as the "little bus" HS shares their space with the kindergarten center. Imagine in HS being sent back to Kindergarten for a few weeks? Ouch.

Old 12-23-2015, 09:08 AM

I'm not talking about Castleton btw, I'm talking about the main schools. I had problems with the district from elementary up through HS.

Old 12-23-2015, 09:40 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,893,976 times
They still send the rejects to merle ave? How separate are they from the kindergarten?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island