Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 11:03 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,990,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMalo View Post
My kids are fully vaccinated on the standard childhood schedule.

No one in my nuclear family gets the flu vaccine. Normal people without a compromised condition aren't going to die from the flu.

If you're pregnant or elderly, etc then you have a different story but the entire population suddenly getting a vaccine that may or may not work every year is a waste IMO.

I haven't had the flu since I was in elementary school and neither of my kids have ever had the flu.

Not vaccinating for polio... you're an idiot.

Not vaccinating against one strain of the flu that may or may not be the prevalent strain this year... whatever.
One of my children was given his last rites when he had the flu. There was no preequisting condition. You're making very general, and inaccurate, statements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2015, 06:15 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,252,791 times
Quote:
My kids are fully vaccinated on the standard childhood schedule.

No one in my nuclear family gets the flu vaccine. Normal people without a compromised condition aren't going to die from the flu.

If you're pregnant or elderly, etc then you have a different story but the entire population suddenly getting a vaccine that may or may not work every year is a waste IMO.

I haven't had the flu since I was in elementary school and neither of my kids have ever had the flu.

Not vaccinating for polio... you're an idiot.

Not vaccinating against one strain of the flu that may or may not be the prevalent strain this year... whatever.
Calling people 'an idiot' when you make blanket and inaccurate statements is a bit laughable.

And while you might not die, you certainly can be hit hard. Around 10 years ago I got it - the year I didn't bother with the shot. 105 fever coming back on the LIRR and I was off work for nearly a week. My immune system is fine but where you're jammed with other people (trains, subway, buses, classrooms, etc) you are more likely to be exposed.

And you're much more likely to get influenza than polio.

Old 12-24-2015, 09:31 AM

321 posts, read 596,021 times
Logic is lost here.

There is a difference between anecdotal evidence and scientific consensus.

You are unlikely to die from the flu if you are otherwise healthy. The flu vaccine is administered yearly. It may or may not be effective.

You will most likely die or be crippled forever if you contract polio. The polio vaccine is administered once. It is 100% effective.

See what I did there?

Old 12-24-2015, 01:26 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,520,698 times
Quote:
Logic is lost here.

You are unlikely to die from the flu if you are otherwise healthy. The flu vaccine is administered yearly. It may or may not be effective.

You will most likely die or be crippled forever if you contract polio. The polio vaccine is administered once. It is 100% effective.

See what I did there?
Yes, life is about playing the odds, there's nothing revelatory about that. Maybe the flu vaccine makes you only 50% less likely to get the flu, but the actual flu - not just a bad cold which is what people think it is - can be crippling. If you're a single parent that can't afford to miss a week or two of work, does it make sense to take the risk?

And what exactly is the risk of taking the vaccine? You're going to play dice with your health because a few disproven crackpots claim it's dangerous?

Old 12-24-2015, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Logic is lost here.

See what I did there?
One little correction - oral (live) polio vaccine is 100% effective but contains a low risk of contracting the disease. Oral vaccine is no longer given and inactivated vaccine is NOT 100% effective in preventing 'in the wild' polio. Why is IPV given? Because the risk of contracting polio in the US is pretty close to zero.

The rate of getting the flu if not vaccinated is somewhere between 5-20%. Around 200,000 people are hospitalized in the US with influenza each year. Vaccination cuts hospitalization rates on average by 70% or more.

One final point....H1N1 unlike most strains doesn't disproportionally affect the elderly. The 1918 flu pandemic struck down people in the prime of life.

Old 12-26-2015, 09:11 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samnyc View Post
All flu shots have Mercury in them. You still get flu after getting shots then why take it.

I have not taken flu shots over ten years. I don't give that to my kids either. What I give them is Green juice, vitamins such as Vitamin C and D. Don't buy Multi-vitamin, that is waste of money but go with specific.

Good luck.
Untrue. About 2/3 of the flu vaccines given in the US have no mercury in them. This includes the flu mist as well as single dose shots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
One little correction - oral (live) polio vaccine is 100% effective but contains a low risk of contracting the disease. Oral vaccine is no longer given and inactivated vaccine is NOT 100% effective in preventing 'in the wild' polio. Why is IPV given? Because the risk of contracting polio in the US is pretty close to zero.

The rate of getting the flu if not vaccinated is somewhere between 5-20%. Around 200,000 people are hospitalized in the US with influenza each year. Vaccination cuts hospitalization rates on average by 70% or more.

One final point....H1N1 unlike most strains doesn't disproportionally affect the elderly. The 1918 flu pandemic struck down people in the prime of life.
OPV is close to 100%, but nothing is 100%. 99% of IPV vaccinees develop immunity after three doses of vaccine. http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pin...oads/polio.pdf

Old 12-26-2015, 09:27 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,990,041 times
A little girl in Florida went into cardiac arrest this Christmas from the flu. No other health issues.

Old 12-28-2015, 09:12 AM

10,236 posts, read 6,322,066 times
A rash is not a typical symptom of the flu. Some kind of allergic reaction she had? The state of Florida has one of the lowest flu vaccination rates in the country. Endless Summer, you know. A State Senator proposed a similar bill to California's to mandate all vaccinations for public and private school children. He pulled the bill after only a few weeks. Certainly, there isn't any legislation mandating adult school staff get flu shots in Florida. The flu vaccination only has at best 60% effective rate. Given that only about 40% of adults get flu shots, would mandating them for children do any good? Forget Herd Immunity against the Flu.

FYI, NYC's mandatory flu vaccination for preschools was recently declared unconstitutional. Judge declared that Albany would have to pass specific legislation mandating it for the entire state. Good luck.

I myself worked in LI public schools. My SIL works in NYC public schools. No mandates in either place for student, or teacher, flu shots.

Protect you and yours. You cannot legislate that general public protect you by getting their own flu shots every year.

Old 12-28-2015, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
A rash is not a typical symptom of the flu. Some kind of allergic reaction she had? The state of Florida has one of the lowest flu vaccination rates in the country. Endless Summer, you know. A State Senator proposed a similar bill to California's to mandate all vaccinations for public and private school children. He pulled the bill after only a few weeks. Certainly, there isn't any legislation mandating adult school staff get flu shots in Florida. The flu vaccination only has at best 60% effective rate. Given that only about 40% of adults get flu shots, would mandating them for children do any good? Forget Herd Immunity against the Flu.

FYI, NYC's mandatory flu vaccination for preschools was recently declared unconstitutional. Judge declared that Albany would have to pass specific legislation mandating it for the entire state. Good luck.

I myself worked in LI public schools. My SIL works in NYC public schools. No mandates in either place for student, or teacher, flu shots.

Protect you and yours. You cannot legislate that general public protect you by getting their own flu shots every year.
Any senior living in Florida that spends time with others should definitely get a flu shot. All you need is someone sick coming off of a plane from up north coming into contact and it's a good recipe for hospitalization.

Old 12-28-2015, 09:25 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post

A rare complication of influenza B. As flu continues to ebb, CDC probes reports of rashes | CIDRAP

More: Is A Rash A Flu Symptom? | Derrow Dermatology Blog

Before I searched, I was thinking about how many viral illnesses cause rash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island