Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 12:08 PM

2 posts, read 4,963 times

Advertisements

How do Oceanside schools compare to those in Rockville Center?

I understand that it's possible to be in the incorporated village of RVC but be zoned to Oceanside schools. Is it possible to be in Oceanside and be zoned to RVC schools?

I also noticed one or two listings mention a choice of school zones, is this possible? There is also one listing zoned to RVC elementary and Oceanside middle and high school. Again, is this possible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2015, 12:22 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,587,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsMyNewUserName View Post

I understand that it's possible to be in the incorporated village of RVC but be zoned to Oceanside schools. Is it possible to be in Oceanside and be zoned to RVC schools?

I also noticed one or two listings mention a choice of school zones, is this possible? There is also one listing zoned to RVC elementary and Oceanside middle and high school. Again, is this possible?
RVC schools are better than Oceanside schools, but Oceanside schools are still fine.

It is possible to live in RVC but be zoned for Oceanside schools, but I do no believe the converse is true for any properties.

There is no such thing as a "choice" of school zones as far as I know.

Old 12-14-2015, 12:25 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,762,096 times
Quote:
there are a ton of school ranking stats available on the web if you want to do a deep dive on this, but the general consensus is that RVC is a better district.

Quote:
No. If you're looking for RVC schools on the cheap, your best bet is to look at the homes that are technically in South Hempstead but zoned for RVC schools.

Quote:
could you post these listings? Doesn't seem legit.

Old 12-14-2015, 12:39 PM

2 posts, read 4,963 times
Thanks. This is the listing that mentions dual zone: 15 Demott Pl, Rockville Centre, NY 11570 | Zillow.

I guess the real question is: are RVC schools worth the significantly higher house prices and property taxes?

Old 12-14-2015, 01:03 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,587,882 times
Quote:
Thanks. This is the listing that mentions dual zone: 15 Demott Pl, Rockville Centre, NY 11570 | Zillow.

I guess the real question is: are RVC schools worth the significantly higher house prices and property taxes?
According to the US Census bureau, that house is zoned for Oceanside schools. I would look pretty carefully if I were you.

Old 12-14-2015, 01:14 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,762,096 times
In general, realtors are extremely unreliable when it comes to this stuff. I would call the district. Ultimately they're the ones that know for sure.

Random note, you might actually have to carry flood insurance on that house if you're going to have a mortgage. I would check the FEMA flood maps.

Old 12-14-2015, 01:26 PM

20,050 posts, read 20,861,844 times
Oceanside schools are horrible.
They are still riding the coat tails of a few good years in the 90's in order to keep the salaries bloated.
I take part of that back, in fairness the schools are mediocre at best.
40 years experience in the district btw.

Old 12-14-2015, 02:20 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,159,124 times
Quote:

That house is nice, bedrooms are tiny, plot is small, garage is not a garage but an artist studio so cant park a car in there. It has a single lane driveway which is a pain as you cant park on street at night. I have been in that house, it is like Martha Stewart designed it absolutely perfect. But basement is not really finish-able, the attic either. And it is three houses from a flood zone. It is not in a flood zone, but if it changes who knows.

1 Demott place two or three houses away basement flooded in Sandy as Mill river flooded houses facing river.

1 Demott Pl, Rockville Centre, NY 11570 | Zillow

It is 100% Oceanside Schools. Over there that block, Arbor Lane, Mcgann drive and a few other blocks that are almost walking distance to RVC train are all Oceanside schools.

Want sticker shock. 10 Mc Gann Dr, Rockville Centre NY, 11570 around the corner from that house has around 30K taxes and Oceanside schools

Roxbury road around corner from there has some houses that look like mansions and they look like 1.6 million dollars homes and they are all oceanside schools.

BTW this house sold not long ago at $1,450,000 | 153 Cleveland Ave , Rockville Centre, NY 11570 and is oceanside school. I find it amazing and a bit shocking that homes in RVC with Oceanside schools and incorporated RVC taxes dont really have any discount. On price or taxes.

Old 12-14-2015, 02:29 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,785,410 times
When looking at homes, do not rely 100% on Zillow. They will report the price and square feet correctly, and some facts about the house like price history but their tax and SD information can be wrong. if you go to MLSLI, it will display the schools the homes are zoned for.

Old 12-14-2015, 02:31 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,159,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
When looking at homes, do not rely 100% on Zillow. They will report the price and square feet correctly, and some facts about the house like price history but their tax and SD information can be wrong. if you go to MLSLI, it will display the schools the homes are zoned for.
Nassau County land record viewer is the best source.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island