Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2009, 11:16 PM

31 posts, read 361,132 times

Advertisements

My granddaughter has been classified a preschooler with a disability. She was diagnosed PDD-NOS; however, most likely Aspergers when she is older and can be further evaluated. She is extremely verbal, has a vast vocabulary, but has trouble communicating because her pragmatics are completely off at times. She is not a behavioral child, but needs a lot of help with socializing, such as modeling and/or prompting. She is currently receiving 5 hours of SEIT/week. My granddaughter was in an inclusion class; howver, she was apparently doing too well in there and has since been taken out of program and is now in regular Pre-K. My daughter intends to go the the school district for a CPSE meeting to request more hours...does anyone know what we're entitled to in regards to SEIT hours?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 11:26 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,161,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disneygrandma View Post
My granddaughter has been classified a preschooler with a disability. She was diagnosed PDD-NOS; however, most likely Aspergers when she is older and can be further evaluated. She is extremely verbal, has a vast vocabulary, but has trouble communicating because her pragmatics are completely off at times. She is not a behavioral child, but needs a lot of help with socializing, such as modeling and/or prompting. She is currently receiving 5 hours of SEIT/week. My granddaughter was in an inclusion class; howver, she was apparently doing too well in there and has since been taken out of program and is now in regular Pre-K. My daughter intends to go the the school district for a CPSE meeting to request more hours...does anyone know what we're entitled to in regards to SEIT hours?
My grandson, now 7, (in addition to being bussed to a special, full day school for autistic children 5 days/week) gets another 2 hrs 5 days/wk one on one at home (ABA), plus 2 x 1 hr language/wk. Whatever is deemed necessary, she's entitled to. However, the willingness of the school districts to pay for these services vary; with some, parents have to be extremely aggressive to get what they're entitled to. In which school district is your granddaughter?

I applaud your daughter for being pro-active; it's the only way!

Old 03-16-2009, 11:34 PM

31 posts, read 361,132 times
Thanks for the quick reply. I have been hearing that SEIT is a minimum of 2 hours and the rest of the hours are at the discretion of the district. I have a feeling this is going to be a big problem for my daughter and son in law. They go to meeting next week, but are anticipating having to table it and go for an impartial hearing, which of course they cannot afford.

Old 03-17-2009, 02:00 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,147,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disneygrandma View Post
Thanks for the quick reply. I have been hearing that SEIT is a minimum of 2 hours and the rest of the hours are at the discretion of the district. I have a feeling this is going to be a big problem for my daughter and son in law. They go to meeting next week, but are anticipating having to table it and go for an impartial hearing, which of course they cannot afford.
My daughter is 5 and when she was 3 we started the process.If she goes to the school for the sitdown usually there is about 5-7 people from the state and school district.Usually but not always they are on your side and will side with you if you are on top of your knowledge what your child needs.My wife and I did this and got all the services including 10hrs/wk at home.The one thing to realize is that the schools WANT to give out services because they are given more money by the state for their budgets because of this and other things so usually they will be okay; so keep your head up it should be fine.

Old 03-17-2009, 07:25 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,161,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
The one thing to realize is that the schools WANT to give out services because they are given more money by the state for their budgets because of this and other things so usually they will be okay; so keep your head up it should be fine.
Unfortunately that isn't always so.
I know of more than one SD where parents have to fight for everything! One SD in particular has been taken to court on numerous occasions in order for parents/children to get what they're entitled to

Old 06-22-2009, 11:03 AM

3 posts, read 16,793 times
Hi Disneygrandma,

Did you get any good information on SEIT hours? I am going throught the same issue now for 2 1/2 yr old daughter who is PDD_NOS diagnosed?

Thanks

Old 01-07-2016, 03:55 PM

5 posts, read 8,391 times
Default SEIT Services

I'm a special education advocate and I have two kids on the spectrum. I would get as many SEIT hours at school and home as possible. Getting SEIT is a little tricky. If your child is in a D75 or public pre-school the max is 10 hours of home SEIT. If your child attends a pre-school that you pay for then they give you 20 hours of SEIT max at home. Then you file for pendency and keep those SEIT hours for K. So many parents don't realize they are entitled to SEIT hours at home and school.

Wayne Rock | Special Education Advocate

Old 01-07-2016, 08:28 PM

13,056 posts, read 18,121,249 times
Elke is spot on. Our very close friends have 2 autistic kids on opposite end of the spectrum. Our friends have had to fight tooth and nail for as 'll they got and this was in one of the top districts. They eventually went the lawyer route,and won, but it was as all up hill. Such a shame. The problem with the No Child Left Behind law is that in spirit it is a home run, but they never planned on the funding part of the equation. Good luck.

Old 01-08-2016, 05:52 AM

5 posts, read 8,391 times
I just filed a due process complaint last week in Yonkers for a 3 year old girl. In EI she was receiving 20 hours of home instruction (ABA). The District refused to give out SEIT Services at home. The student is non-verbal and has limited language skills. We have a resolution session next week but Yonkers like most district don't want to give out SEIT services at home. Wayne Rock | Special Education Advocate

Old 01-08-2016, 06:05 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,252,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Unfortunately that isn't always so.
I know of more than one SD where parents have to fight for everything! One SD in particular has been taken to court on numerous occasions in order for parents/children to get what they're entitled to
For CPSE they usually want to provide services. For CSE, not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: