Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 05:49 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,990,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
That orangey Oompa loompa old baseball glove look.
Ohhhh. Yeah, true. And the nails.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2016, 05:50 PM

9,173 posts, read 13,256,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peconic525 View Post
Curious to get people's opinions on comparing these two sections of Nassau based on commute, population, architecture, vibes, etc.

SW Nassau
Rockvulle Centre
Lynbrook
Malverne
Oceanside
Easy Rockaway

SE Nassau
Merrick
Bellmore
Wantagh
Seaford
Massapequa
I think most Suffolk residents are going to say they like SE Nassau better, if nothing else because it is closer and seems more suburban. For instance, as a Babylon resident I can sort of relate to the Massapequas and Seaford as being relatively close to home, in contrast Lynbrook and Oceanside are really far away.

But while I like SE Nassau better, I actually think SW Nassau is more interesting. SE Nassau is very similar all the way from Merrick to Massapequa. But in contrast some SW communities like Lynbrook, Rockville Centre and Freeport have dense downtowns and seem like small cities to me. Other communities like Woodsburgh and parts of the Hewlett area are wealthy and properties are much larger.

Old 01-19-2016, 06:24 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,909,160 times
Maybe this is just a coincidence but almost everybody that i've met from the Five Towns area and Long Beach area have had a HORRIBLE personality.

Old 01-19-2016, 06:24 PM

236 posts, read 473,908 times
Quote:
SW Nassau
Rockvulle Centre
Lynbrook
Malverne
Oceanside
Easy Rockaway
All nice areas in different ways. Save for the very congested commercial corridor in Oceanside, nothing about any of them is Queens-like.

Old 01-19-2016, 07:34 PM

24 posts, read 34,136 times
Thanks for the responses. Could folks also weigh in as to what villages/hamlets they perceive as having the best housing stock AND are desirable because of schools, low crime, and convenience for middle income families?

Old 01-19-2016, 07:42 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,538,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
Maybe this is just a coincidence but almost everybody that i've met from the Five Towns area and Long Beach area have had a HORRIBLE personality.

Old 01-19-2016, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the responses. Could folks also weigh in as to what villages/hamlets they perceive as having the best housing stock AND are desirable because of schools, low crime, and convenience for middle income families?
Southwest Nassau only:
Housing stock- I have go with Malverne and RVC

Schools- RVC, Lynbrook, Hewlett-Woodmere

Crime- Crime is not a concern in any of the areas you are interested in

Middle-income friendly- Malverne (but schools are mediocre for the amount you are paying in taxes), East Rockaway (schools are mediocre), Lynbrook (housing stock seemed dated when I was in the market), Oceanside, Baldwin (has passionate fans and detractors), Valley Stream (same).

Old 01-19-2016, 08:07 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,990,463 times
In SE Nassau I'd rank Wantagh schools and housing stock the highest. Massapequa schools second, Bellmore third with schools, but fourth in housing. Seaford third in housing, fourth in schools. Massapequa Park has a nice walkable town "village". Bellmore has walkable town area, but it's not much. There's not much to do in Seaford. Wantagh has no walkable town either. Some shops on Wantagh Ave, but that's it. You'll find that Wantagh schools rank the highest, and RE is very limited. If you want a good value, I'd probably go for Bellmore-Merrick schools.

Old 01-19-2016, 08:24 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,488,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PC51 View Post
All nice areas in different ways. Save for the very congested commercial corridor in Oceanside, nothing about any of them is Queens-like.
I agree, SW Nassau doesn't really feel anything like Queens for the most part. Even the change from Elmont to Cambria Heights is pretty drastic once you're a few blocks in.

I think we know what some people mean when they say "like Queens", though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibson station View Post
Southwest Nassau only:
Housing stock- I have go with Malverne and RVC

Schools- RVC, Lynbrook, Hewlett-Woodmere

Crime- Crime is not a concern in any of the areas you are interested in

Middle-income friendly- Malverne (but schools are mediocre for the amount you are paying in taxes), East Rockaway (schools are mediocre), Lynbrook (housing stock seemed dated when I was in the market), Oceanside, Baldwin (has passionate fans and detractors), Valley Stream (same).
I think the housing stock in most of SW Nassau is very old, I live in Baldwin and my old house was built in 1920 and the current one I live in was built in 1935

It's interesting that Levittown is often credited as the first suburb when much of the housing around me predates Levittown by many years.

Old 01-19-2016, 08:36 PM

Sure it's old. I just thought a lot of what I saw in Lynbrook was surprisingly unupdated. The older houses are charming, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island