Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 07:14 AM

513 posts, read 837,597 times

Advertisements

Tree Believers in Commack

Tim Baxley Tree Inc in Northport

Woody Tree Service in Glen Cove
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2016, 07:16 AM

1,504 posts, read 851,404 times
Is the tree hard wood. If it is soft wood it may break....clean out the whole and pack it with cement

Old 04-03-2016, 12:40 PM

92 posts, read 127,913 times
If you want to save a tree, call an arborist. They will be able to give you advice and nurse a sick tree back to health.

Don't call an arborist if you want to cut down a tree. Call a tree cutting company.

I love trees, but that tree appears to be fully mature and too big for the lot it is on. I have a tree like it on my property and I won't cut it down until I have to (if it becomes diseased or otherwise dangerous) and I have an arborist prune it every other year. But when it does come down I will replace with a tree that is expected to reach 25-30 feet at maturity.

Old 04-28-2016, 05:58 PM

15 posts, read 37,560 times
Thanks so much everyone!

I called for an arborist. He inspected the tree and said that nothing was certain about it's life span, but it was possible that the tree could live longer then us. He also said that at this age, the tree is slowing decaying. He recommended pruning the tree.

He said to prune the silver maple (45"), remove leader over power lines would be $550.

He also said that you need people with specialized experience to cut the tree, or risk damaging the tree. He said that if you cut it the wrong way, the tree will rot on it's own.

Still thinking about just cutting the whole tree down. I received an estimate for around $2K to $2.5K, which includes grinding the stump.

Old 04-29-2016, 09:34 AM

88 posts, read 126,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue in green View Post
Thanks so much everyone!

I called for an arborist. He inspected the tree and said that nothing was certain about it's life span, but it was possible that the tree could live longer then us. He also said that at this age, the tree is slowing decaying. He recommended pruning the tree.

He said to prune the silver maple (45"), remove leader over power lines would be $550.

He also said that you need people with specialized experience to cut the tree, or risk damaging the tree. He said that if you cut it the wrong way, the tree will rot on it's own.

Still thinking about just cutting the whole tree down. I received an estimate for around $2K to $2.5K, which includes grinding the stump.

Take the tree down. A tree that size should not be within feet of your home. It can cause serious damage to your home and potentially to the occupants. We are having more and more heavy winds that may cause an uproot. I do enjoy nature but something that size is way to close for comfort. I was in the same situation and I took an 80 foot pin oak down right before sandy. My neighbor had a similar tree. That tree came down on his house and crushed the rear of the house. They were out of the house for months as the town felt it was unsafe for them to stay.

You may also want to give Cheap Charlie a call as well. They did a very nice and clean job for me.

Old 04-29-2016, 02:33 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,155,300 times
Quote:
Thanks so much everyone!

I just referred Cheap Charlies to my daughter and the difference in price was substantial. My daughter is very particular and she was happy with the job they did, including grinding the stump!

Old 08-13-2016, 01:44 PM

15 posts, read 37,560 times
thanks so much every1

Old 08-13-2016, 03:54 PM

18,471 posts, read 31,638,910 times
I agree, cut the tree down.

Plant another one if you feel the area requires one, or you just like the look of it.

Huge trees next to house, always worry me. A co worker of mine, her neighbors tree fell on her house and a branch went thru her house wall thru the guest bedroom, breaking the computer or TV, I dont remember.

that scares me......

Old 08-13-2016, 09:20 PM

2,605 posts, read 3,402,582 times
Quote:
thanks so much every1
Thanks for what? The last post was from April and you replied today. You just wake up from a long nap?

Old 08-14-2016, 12:26 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
I read where the tree is identified as a Silver Maple that is a junk tree like the Swamp Maples that I have been dealing with or years. Seeing the squirrel condo is in place you will start to see rot develop and the pattern of trimming will continue for years. Unless you really love the tree take it out when it is economically feasible for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island