Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 11:44 AM

226 posts, read 151,839 times

Advertisements

Im looking at a house in massapequa on lake st., by water front..over the water front ia amitiville, how is the area? Please help, i lovw the house but i dont know the neighborhood. My family (im Hispanic, she's Asian)and i are very respectful and to ourselves yet friendly..i have an 11yr old son that doesnt live with me but viaits often and may start a new family in the near future. I've lived in vwey ba areas before (bushwick, east ny) so i want to avoid those type of enviorments. I just want to be able to sit in my front lawn and relax without no worries for me or my family safety. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2016, 11:53 AM

226 posts, read 151,839 times
Default Masapequa/wantagh or huntington station? Which is less crime, better schools?

Looking to move to long island from queens, please give your opinion. Any suggestions and input are greatly appreciated.

Old 04-17-2016, 12:02 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,324,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jme8378 View Post
Im looking at a house in massapequa on lake st., by water front..over the water front ia amitiville, how is the area? Please help, i lovw the house but i dont know the neighborhood. My family (im Hispanic, she's Asian)and i are very respectful and to ourselves yet friendly..i have an 11yr old son that doesnt live with me but viaits often and may start a new family in the near future. I've lived in vwey ba areas before (bushwick, east ny) so i want to avoid those type of enviorments. I just want to be able to sit in my front lawn and relax without no worries for me or my family safety. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
It is probably more like North Amityville than Massapequa. Neverthelss its gotta be much than Bushwick and ENY.

Old 04-17-2016, 12:29 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,497,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
It is probably more like North Amityville than Massapequa. Neverthelss its gotta be much than Bushwick and ENY.
North Amityville is ghetto as hell, I think I'd rather live in Bushwick

Old 04-17-2016, 12:31 PM

93,541 posts, read 124,263,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
North Amityville is ghetto as hell, I think I'd rather live in Bushwick
It is?

Old 04-17-2016, 12:39 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,211,528 times
That entire block that only has a few home & a garden apt. style rental complex that is senior housing & some other subsidized housing as well & has had problem & troubled people living there in the recent past. Have friend that has home in that area for many years & rents it out. They do see lots of petty crime all the time. That block is zoned for the Amityville School district if that matters for you in case you have school age kids that will use the schools in the future or now. Area has it's share of problems. Go just one block east & you are in Suffolk County & Amityville. But that might be fine for you & you just might fit in well & love it there. Points west of that home you are considering is very nice. You should post this on the Long Island Forum & you will get many more well informed answers there. This is the NYC forum. Also remember this very important thing. It is in a flood zone. Insurance will not be cheap if you can get new insurance at all. Very hard since Sandy but still attainable. Make sure to do your due diligence & spend some time in the area before pulling the plug. Especially during the night time. Drugs are a problem there. But that's the case all over these days. But just worse in some areas. Amityville has its share of problems . While this home is in Massapequa....remember it is not in that school district & just 1 small block to the County line & Amityville.

Good Luck.

Old 04-17-2016, 12:42 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,497,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
It is?
Well maybe I exaggerated a little bit, but North Amityville to me looks pretty run down. At least the parts I've seen.

Old 04-17-2016, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
It is?
While this home is in the south part of town & not in Amityville. Yes! The northern parts of Amityville are now pretty bad!

Old 04-17-2016, 12:59 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,911,335 times
Safety: Wantagh>Massapequa>Huntington Station

Schools: Massapequa>Wantagh>Plainedge>South Huntington>Huntington>Amityville

Last edited by MemoryMaker; 04-17-2016 at 01:33 PM..

Old 04-17-2016, 01:02 PM

Out of these three Wantagh wins by a HUGE landslide. Massapequa is fine though as well. But would focus more on the western portions of it rather that the eastern parts that filter into the Amityville school district. Don't know much about Huntington but have heard there are bad areas there. Wantagh has no bad areas really. Neither does Massapequa. Except for the parts of Massapequa that border Amityville to the east.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island