Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2016, 10:50 PM

1 posts, read 1,161 times

Advertisements

I recently purchase an older home in Bellmore. i wanted to add a bathroom to the second floor, but discovered there is no Certifcate of Occupancy for the house. Apparently the credit union let it slide and my attorney never disclosed this to me because according to him it's not required for houses before a certain date in the TOH.

Anyhow at this point I want to get my house "legal" so I can move forward with my work. What are the steps I should be taking? Are there any architechs/expiditers/contractors/lawyers that anyone could recommend to me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2016, 04:51 AM

22,666 posts, read 36,779,658 times
I would have a serious chat with my attorney about this since he was the one who didn't think it was necessary.

Old 05-19-2016, 06:35 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,584,142 times
There is no way the house has no C/O unless it was built before they were required (in which case it is still not required). If that is the case, you will need to get a C/O for the area of the house that is newly constructed only. What year was the house built?

Old 05-19-2016, 08:14 PM

67 posts, read 150,679 times
Default Architect (expediting service)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterFielding View Post
I recently purchase an older home in Bellmore. i wanted to add a bathroom to the second floor, but discovered there is no Certifcate of Occupancy for the house. Apparently the credit union let it slide and my attorney never disclosed this to me because according to him it's not required for houses before a certain date in the TOH.

Anyhow at this point I want to get my house "legal" so I can move forward with my work. What are the steps I should be taking? Are there any architechs/expiditers/contractors/lawyers that anyone could recommend to me?
WalterFielding,

I sent you a direct message.

Old 05-20-2016, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
There is no way the house has no C/O unless it was built before they were required (in which case it is still not required). If that is the case, you will need to get a C/O for the area of the house that is newly constructed only. What year was the house built?
Yeah, that's not true. The house I grew up in was built in 1933 and there was no CO required but when my parents when to sell it, they needed one. Luckily my parents were the second or third owner and the blueprints were in the attic. My dad is the Original Hoarder, so he just brought them to town hall and they gave him the CO (no changes had been made to the footprint of the house).

Old 05-20-2016, 05:35 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,584,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Yeah, that's not true. The house I grew up in was built in 1933 and there was no CO required but when my parents when to sell it, they needed one. Luckily my parents were the second or third owner and the blueprints were in the attic. My dad is the Original Hoarder, so he just brought them to town hall and they gave him the CO (no changes had been made to the footprint of the house).
Whatever you say. I own a house built 6 months before my Village started issuing C/Os in ToH and I have documents from both the town and the village that my house does not require a C/O except for the garage, which was converted into a family room by the previous owner (and had a C/O for that area). You can get one if you want to pay for it, but it is not required.

Old 05-20-2016, 09:22 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,345,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
Whatever you say. I own a house built 6 months before my Village started issuing C/Os in ToH and I have documents from both the town and the village that my house does not require a C/O except for the garage, which was converted into a family room by the previous owner (and had a C/O for that area). You can get one if you want to pay for it, but it is not required.
Same here for my old house. The term the attorney used was "letter in Lieu" of a CO.

Old 05-20-2016, 09:23 AM

1,143 posts, read 1,536,720 times
I don't think my 1930 house has a CO. I did some permitted work this past year and it was no issue at all.

Old 05-20-2016, 09:38 AM

Well this was in Town of Huntington which is maybe one step above Oyster Bay in the corruption department. My dad was only too happy to show off his hoarding skills.

Old 05-20-2016, 10:12 AM

82 posts, read 119,737 times
It will be required by most banks/credit unions when you sell your house or do a refi as I recently found out...(it was not required when I first purchased house which was right before the peak)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: