Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 09:56 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times

Advertisements

I still dont know what this tenant did other than "being weird"? Has that been explained in this thread or does the OP just not like people who are different?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 10:46 AM

852 posts, read 968,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I still dont know what this tenant did other than "being weird"? Has that been explained in this thread or does the OP just not like people who are different?
What did the OP do, that somehow negates their right to exercise control over their own property? OP has no responsibility to the tenant other than to fulfill the obligation that they entered into with the tenant for the specified time period (in this case, 30 day periods) until such time as either one of them decides to terminate that contract (written or verbal or implied).

If it were tenant who wanted to leave, other than giving notice to the OP, would THEY have to proffer some excuse to do so?

Old 06-23-2016, 11:30 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrasedlandlord View Post
It was our biggest mistake that we gave in to her sob story too soon without doing any background check. Too bad, now we have to pay heavily for that. We have hired the lawyer as there is nothing much we can do at this point. Both of us are working professionals with busy work schedules and young kid. Lawyer says 3-4 months, we are helpless at the moment so will have to wait and watch.

@monstermagnet, do you want to know what the woman whines and complains about? We invite you to come and live with her free of cost and find out why she is crazy. She will tell you 100 times over and over again how her ex-husband (and so many other people) abused her and she had accident where her skull crack opened and then she had this surgery..that's why she forgets so many things (How convenient!). She calls me 10 times (literally)a day on my cellphone to tell me something nonsense or irrelevant such as someone stole her apple/banana or yogurt. The latest is she has brain tumor so she can't drive much and she also has pancreatic cancer! But I never saw her going to any hospital/doctor for any treatment.
These things got me very sympathetic in the beginning but within a week week we realized how she is taking us for ride. Now. it's too late.
Does she ever leave the premises for any length of time?

Old 06-23-2016, 11:31 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbly Joe View Post
What did the OP do, that somehow negates their right to exercise control over their own property? OP has no responsibility to the tenant other than to fulfill the obligation that they entered into with the tenant for the specified time period (in this case, 30 day periods) until such time as either one of them decides to terminate that contract (written or verbal or implied).

If it were tenant who wanted to leave, other than giving notice to the OP, would THEY have to proffer some excuse to do so?
But all he said is that the tenant is 'weird'... Unless I missed something?

So she's weird, so what...

Is she stealing from the owner? Is she being really loud? Is she having crazy parties there?

Old 06-23-2016, 12:01 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,644,273 times
To Harrassedlandlord:

One important thing to keep in mind is that in the State of NY, you, as a landlord, are not required to give a tenant any reason whatsoever why you want to end the tenancy. This is for your own protection as a landlord. It's one of the few protective rules in a landlord's favor. The minute you give a tenant a reason why you want them out, they can turn around and sue you over it.

When your tenant asks you why you want her out, just stonewall her. Or tell her legally it's not required for you to give her a reason.

Stick to your guns. Don't let her wear you down.

Old 06-23-2016, 12:40 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,990,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaII View Post
To Harrassedlandlord:

One important thing to keep in mind is that in the State of NY, you, as a landlord, are not required to give a tenant any reason whatsoever why you want to end the tenancy. This is for your own protection as a landlord. It's one of the few protective rules in a landlord's favor. The minute you give a tenant a reason why you want them out, they can turn around and sue you over it.

When your tenant asks you why you want her out, just stonewall her. Or tell her legally it's not required for you to give her a reason.

Stick to your guns. Don't let her wear you down.

But now the tenant has rights to stay in the dwelling until she's forced out.

Old 06-23-2016, 01:52 PM

852 posts, read 968,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
But all he said is that the tenant is 'weird'... Unless I missed something?

So she's weird, so what...

Is she stealing from the owner? Is she being really loud? Is she having crazy parties there?
It doesn't matter. It's the Op's property- they don't need a reason, other than that they want her gone- whether she's weird; not weird enough; they just don't like her; they don't want anyone; she doesn't say "toh-MAH-toe"- it's all irrelevant- it's their house, and their only obligation is to provide accommodations for 30 day periods until such time as they no longer want to. Does the tenant have to have a "valid" reason when they want to move? No- they just give notice, and leave.

Old 06-23-2016, 07:31 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,644,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBeingAMommy View Post
But now the tenant has rights to stay in the dwelling until she's forced out.
Yes, but the last thing the landlord needs on top of everything else is a law suit about why she's being asked to leave.

Old 06-23-2016, 11:16 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,990,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaII View Post
Yes, but the last thing the landlord needs on top of everything else is a law suit about why she's being asked to leave.
Ahhh. I understand what you're saying now.

Old 06-24-2016, 12:24 AM

730 posts, read 1,658,430 times
I understand that the tenant is weird, crazy, needy and deranged, just curious though, how far behind in her rent is she?

Beside the crazy and weird behavior does she do things that endanger the home or make it uninhabitable for the landlord?

Wild parties, loud music, disgusting smells ?

Just curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island