Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 12:40 PM

7 posts, read 9,620 times

Advertisements

I just wanted to get the board's opinion on a law in the Town of Hempstead (as well as certain other towns in Nassau County) that flotation devices are prohibited from being used in town pools. The prohibition applies to all types of flotation devices, including coast guard approved life jackets.

After speaking to one of the head lifeguards in the town who has been on the job for 40 years, I was told that the reason for the prohibition is that [irresponsible] parents will put a flotation device on a child and then walk away, thinking they are safe with a false sense of security while they are in the pool. Thus, they restrict all flotation devices.

My problems with this are two-fold. One issue here is that other towns have rules that only US coast guard approved life jackets may be used and only if the parent is within arms-length of the child which avoids this issue. Secondly, if we made every law based on the most irresponsible person in the room then we should prohibit driving with kids in the car because the person may speed and get into an accident.

The result of the law is that childrens' experiences at the pool is more dangerous. They can easily slip out of parents' hands and their heads could invariably duck under the water. It appears quite odd that the town would enact a rule that effectively makes the pool a more dangerous experience for our kids.

Would love to get your thoughts. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2016, 01:03 PM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadred5 View Post
My problems with this are two-fold. One issue here is that other towns have rules that only US coast guard approved life jackets may be used and only if the parent is within arms-length of the child which avoids this issue. Secondly, if we made every law based on the most irresponsible person in the room then we should prohibit driving with kids in the car because the person may speed and get into an accident.

The result of the law is that children's' experiences at the pool is more dangerous. They can easily slip out of parents' hands and their heads could invariably duck under the water. It appears quite odd that the town would enact a rule that effectively makes the pool a more dangerous experience for our kids.

Would love to get your thoughts. Thanks!
As is often discussed, personal responsibility is dead and buried and life as we know it is moving towards the lowest common denominator. Your example of the pool rules is similar to a child coming home and saying why can't I "whatever" everyone else/my friend/all the other kids get to do it. As a conscientious parent your answer would be "because I said no or that is my rule". As for slipping under the water they could fall in an animal enclosure at the zoo, they could drown in the bath tub or any number of things that life may throw at them or they try as kids. The only safe thing is to wrap them in bubble paper and lock them in the closet but that's no fun and slightly illegal.

The "what if" game can go on forever, why don't you speak to the town department responsible and find out what is the procedure to try and change the rule. At the time it made sense for them and maybe a constructive review is in order.

Personally I get tired of flotation devices because so often they are far larger than the child and you constantly get hit/bumped with them. And as stated parents do not watch their child thinking the fanoodle or whatever they have is keeping them safe.

Old 06-30-2016, 01:02 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
The other part of the equation is that if flotation devices are not approved at all, you narrow the risk for the towns as none means none. Lets say they were to go with a CG approved device. It ages and is not really in optimal condition, BUT, it is the aforementioned approved device. A child drowns, and then what? It is all about limiting the risk as much as possible for the towns.

Old 06-30-2016, 01:07 PM

8,679 posts, read 11,069,654 times
quit complaining. Go thanks our litigious society we live in

If you aren't happy with the rules, send your kids to swim lessons or teach them to swim yourself.

Old 06-30-2016, 01:12 PM

9,319 posts, read 16,655,876 times
I understand your frustration, also understanding their reasoning with parent responsibility. I have been in pools where there are so many "floatation devices" consisting of large rafts, huge beach balls, tubes, etc. it is impossible for the average person to move about in the water. So that might be another reason they are banning everything that could be considered a floatation device.

Old 06-30-2016, 01:22 PM

8,679 posts, read 11,069,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
I have been in pools where there are so many "floatation devices" consisting of large rafts, huge beach balls, tubes, etc. it is impossible for the average person to move about in the water.
good point....if lifeguard can't see people's face in case they are drowning....its a safety issue

Old 06-30-2016, 06:04 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Flotation devices make it hard for the guards to see what they need to see. I know it's hard to believe but EVERYONE'S safety is important. Also it is impossible to expect that the lifeguards check every device to make sure it is in current compliance
I want to say I can't believe this question but unfortunately I'm not surprised.

Old 07-01-2016, 06:08 AM

7 posts, read 9,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Flotation devices make it hard for the guards to see what they need to see. I know it's hard to believe but EVERYONE'S safety is important. Also it is impossible to expect that the lifeguards check every device to make sure it is in current compliance
I want to say I can't believe this question but unfortunately I'm not surprised.
This is by far the most illogical reason given for banning life jackets.

Three points with regards to this:
1) US coast guard approved life jackets attach to one's body. They are not floaties or rafts or other large air-filled items. They literally take up a very small amount of space. To insinuate that they can't be worn because they may cover other kids is not a coherent argument. Many other municipalities recommend or even require life jackets to be worn by toddlers. Why would they require it to be worn if they could block the view of other kids?

2) The American Red Cross recommends life jackets for use in a pool (http://www.redcross.org/images/MEDIA...ifeJackets.pdf)

3) Obviously if other municipalities require the use of life jackets in a pool for non-swimmers it cannot be so dangerous. For you to say "I want to say I can't believe this question" you should respond for all those places that either allow or require them to be worn. Are they just crazy and forcing kids into dangerous situations?

Can you provide some sort of backup that there have been drowning injuries because too many people were wearing life jackets? I can provide cases of the opposite.

Old 07-01-2016, 08:57 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
I understand that you don't want to believe me but it is all about the risk.

Old 07-01-2016, 10:55 AM

4 posts, read 4,797 times
I personally think this rule is ridiculous. While we're at it, let's tell all the kids at the beach not to wear life vests. Stupid people make stupid laws and unfortunately the town of Hempstead is being ran by illogical morons who think a kid not wearing a floaty is much safer than a kid with one...like really?? You f*ckin serious?!? It's the parents job to watch over their child/children. Just bc my child is in a life vest doesn't mean I can go and leave the pool area and get a hot dog. You people are stupid. Of course I'm going to be right next my child even with the life vest on. What parent leaves their kid alone in a pool (pertaining to children who don't know how to swim yet)?!?! These law passers can write up a new rule saying..hey, if you're going to put your child in a life vest, at no time can you leave the pool area without your child. In addition to that, the parent must be within 5 feet of the child at all times within the pool. Problem solved. Remove this ridiculous rule. I won't be taking my kid to any pools that enforce this rule. And I'm sure I'm not alone in this. Way to make people turn away from your aquatic centers..lol

Last edited by JuLes_17; 07-01-2016 at 10:57 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island