Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 07:33 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,161,099 times

Advertisements

Bet it isn't within NYC commuting distance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Just kidding but you would freak at the tax difference elsewhere on the same size house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2016, 07:44 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,099,287 times
/\

No but it is doable to the DC Metro

Old 07-23-2016, 07:56 PM

Location: Westchester County, NY -> Pinellas County, FL -> Dutchess County, NY -> Denver?
348 posts, read 535,741 times
The best thing about the Long Island is the Hamptons and Montauk. The rest is mediocre. Guys, come to Tampa Bay, there are so many of us here that you will feel right at home. I bump into former NY cops and teachers chilling in Florida while you pay your NY taxes. FL isn't perfect but very livable.

Old 07-23-2016, 07:56 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,237,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Make Long Island Great Again!

Old 07-23-2016, 07:58 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,411,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Just kidding but you would freak at the tax difference elsewhere on the same size house.
You mean like our 1,800 sq ft 3br/2 bath condo with sliding glass lanai overlooking lake in Collier County for $2,101 a year?

Old 07-23-2016, 08:19 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,237,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
We are constantly seeing these we need to turn Long Island into Queens type ideas because the suburban era has passed, blah, blah, blah but says who? I used to live in a Queens row house, I never want to live like that again.

OhBeeHave hit the nail on the head. Why increase the population even more without providing more jobs? Would not more people make Long Island even more expensive? And it is a especially strange suggestion for a thread where the OP is complaining about how crowded Long Island and someone else comes along and wants to make the Island even more crowded!

Sure, it would be nice if we develop little villages along the railroad stations (we already have some) but then take a equal amount of already developed areas and return them to farms or forest or something. Otherwise you are just making excuses for developers to make more money at the expensive of the quality of life on an already overcrowded island.
I used to agree with that, and the last thing we need is another mega mall or strip mall. The desolate downtowns (Hicksville and Westbury come to mind) have potential - more commutable to NYC since no drive to the LIRR (young people are not married to their automobiles like we are). Mineola, Patchogue and Farmingdale are already starting to build multi-family buildings around the train stations. The rest of the villages seem unaffected by the change around the stations.
We need to keep skilled young people here. They are moving away in droves. To Austin , Charlotte and Tampa. And they are not coming back. Young people are flocking to Brooklyn - which initially was not a place to work - and look what's happened there. Lots of jobs. Good jobs. In Brooklyn. It can happen here too , on a smaller scale. But Long Islanders would rather have empty downtowns that they pass through on their way to the malls.
People have always worried that Long Island would become another Queens, but it's already 99 percent developed with single family homes. Not a whole lot of potential to become another Junction Boulevard.
JMO

Old 07-23-2016, 09:15 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,330,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iching View Post
The best thing about the Long Island is the Hamptons and Montauk. The rest is mediocre. Guys, come to Tampa Bay, there are so many of us here that you will feel right at home. I bump into former NY cops and teachers chilling in Florida while you pay your NY taxes. FL isn't perfect but very livable.
They needed there NY salary and pensions to get to FL? I lived in Tampa for 3.5 years, I was in a nice condo by Westshore and international mall. Tampa and FL have plenty of issues. If you want a nice house in Tampa and i'm not talking New Tampa, Wesley Chapel, Town and Country etc, you are going to pay 350-400k. Water, Garbage, home and auto insurance are $$ there. It's not much cheaper.

Old 07-23-2016, 09:38 PM

Location: Westchester County, NY -> Pinellas County, FL -> Dutchess County, NY -> Denver?
348 posts, read 535,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
They needed there NY salary and pensions to get to FL? I lived in Tampa for 3.5 years, I was in a nice condo by Westshore and international mall. Tampa and FL have plenty of issues. If you want a nice house in Tampa and i'm not talking New Tampa, Wesley Chapel, Town and Country etc, you are going to pay 350-400k. Water, Garbage, home and auto insurance are $$ there. It's not much cheaper.
Really? We have a spending issue just like the one talked about in this thread.

Old 07-24-2016, 12:02 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,843,194 times
The guy who would be telling us about everything that is wrong with Long Island has not only moved away but has gone silent in the past few weeks.

Old 07-24-2016, 12:06 PM

2,771 posts, read 4,532,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iching View Post
I'm good. Can't afford the 50% pay cut. It DOES NOT cost me 50% of my salary to live here.
I'd take the cold (Maine) before the heat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island