Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 08:43 AM

107 posts, read 234,759 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

I have a 1900 sq ft colonial home and am currently using oil for home heating and hot water. I spend an average of ~$250/mo for oil. My current oil delivery contract is up, so considering switching to natural gas. I already have natural gas for cooking (and maybe dryer for cloths) so the conversion should be relatively simple (the gas is already ran to the boiler area, I assume they just need to swap out the boiler, hot water heater and tank, and connect everything up).

May I ask for a rough estimate of monthly heating cost from others with similar size homes and using natural gas (National Grid) for home heating and hot water? I recall hearing that due to low-ish oil prices recently, the monthly savings is not much. The only baseline I have is that I spend about $20/mo for natural gas for cooking (maybe dryer too, I'm not sure if I have electric or gas dryer).

Just trying to figure out if it'd be worth it to convert from a monthly cost savings standpoint. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2016, 09:43 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,326,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGI7 View Post
Hi guys,

I have a 1900 sq ft colonial home and am currently using oil for home heating and hot water. I spend an average of ~$250/mo for oil. My current oil delivery contract is up, so considering switching to natural gas. I already have natural gas for cooking (and maybe dryer for cloths) so the conversion should be relatively simple (the gas is already ran to the boiler area, I assume they just need to swap out the boiler, hot water heater and tank, and connect everything up).

May I ask for a rough estimate of monthly heating cost from others with similar size homes and using natural gas (National Grid) for home heating and hot water? I recall hearing that due to low-ish oil prices recently, the monthly savings is not much. The only baseline I have is that I spend about $20/mo for natural gas for cooking (maybe dryer too, I'm not sure if I have electric or gas dryer).

Just trying to figure out if it'd be worth it to convert from a monthly cost savings standpoint. Thank you!
Similar house size, all new windows,new siding and exterior insulation. Inside insulation is mediocre in the home. Heat,hotwater,stove is gas. It's me the wife and young child. W/o heat my gas bill is 40-45 a month. With heat and keeping the house at 66 my bill is about $145-160 a month. House has 2 main zones plus 3rd zone in the basement. We are both gone from 745-4 2 days a week, we keep the heat at 60 and it goes to 66 before we get home. 3 days a week heat is on all day when grandma is babysitting. I am sure the 2 days we are not home helps.

Old 10-06-2016, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
Similar house size, all new windows,new siding and exterior insulation. Inside insulation is mediocre in the home. Heat,hotwater,stove is gas. It's me the wife and young child. W/o heat my gas bill is 40-45 a month. With heat and keeping the house at 66 my bill is about $145-160 a month. House has 2 main zones plus 3rd zone in the basement. We are both gone from 745-4 2 days a week, we keep the heat at 60 and it goes to 66 before we get home. 3 days a week heat is on all day when grandma is babysitting. I am sure the 2 days we are not home helps.
Wow this information is very helpful, thanks! We are also a family of 3 so the information is especially relevant. My wife is home all day though, and she likes to keep the heat at around 73deg.

So I guess I pay about $270/mo now with gas + oil, it would then become around $160/mo for all gas. ~$90/mo is pretty significant, although my wife likes to keep the heat kind of high. I'll get some quotes for the gas conversion cost. Thanks again!

Old 10-06-2016, 10:51 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,154,094 times
Oil is about equal, if not cheaper than gas right now. All the "experts" say oil is going to stay low for while. If true I don't see you making out when having to pay to convert.

Spend that money on insulating your attic to the max!!

Old 10-06-2016, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Oil is about equal, if not cheaper than gas right now. All the "experts" say oil is going to stay low for while. If true I don't see you making out when having to pay to convert.

Spend that money on insulating your attic to the max!!
Yea if I get a quote for like $5,000+ (most likely) to convert, I may just stay oil. Petro offered me $2.269 ceiling rate w/free maintenance contract for a year so I may just take them up on their offer.

Old 10-06-2016, 11:01 AM

Slomins sent me and email of $1.79 a gallon and $99 contract. And then you can add on for domestic hot water for like $29 and extra zones for like $15.

Old 10-06-2016, 01:03 PM

155 posts, read 174,300 times
We have a 2,700sqft house and it's about $150 a month. Two adults, 2 young kids, heat set for 65...dryer and stove also gas. Hope that's helpful!

Old 10-06-2016, 01:22 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,326,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGI7 View Post
Wow this information is very helpful, thanks! We are also a family of 3 so the information is especially relevant. My wife is home all day though, and she likes to keep the heat at around 73deg.

So I guess I pay about $270/mo now with gas + oil, it would then become around $160/mo for all gas. ~$90/mo is pretty significant, although my wife likes to keep the heat kind of high. I'll get some quotes for the gas conversion cost. Thanks again!
I should of added my boiler is not efficient and is a cast iron thermador from 1978! New ones are way more efficient.

Old 10-06-2016, 01:44 PM

When I replaced my tin can boiler from the 1950's that alone saved me about 20% on oil. The boiler room used to be so hot from all the loss. With the new one the room is normal temp.

Old 10-07-2016, 07:57 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,877,385 times
You should definitely calculate how long until return on investment given the low oil prices. But with gas, I love having zero maintenance and zero bargaining/price hunting every year. We just put in a new boiler/tank 2 years ago (I recommend Holzhauer Plumbing) - our gas usage avg comes out to about $90/mo. over the course of an entire year. We have 2700sf but only heat 1 level at a time so that's somewhat moot. We do have a 55gal water heater and use the dryer once/twice weekly, dishwasher nightly. In the winter, we have a heat max of 68F, which equates to wearing sweatshirts in the house (doesn't everyone?) but our hands aren't cold.

Last edited by ovi8; 10-07-2016 at 08:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: