Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 08:46 PM

204 posts, read 297,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tummymumma View Post
I am all for free college, but someone is going to have to pay for it....
That's exactly how ALL "free" stuff for everyone schemes work. Someone pays for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2016, 08:27 PM

319 posts, read 279,046 times
College should cost something because education obviously has value but education should not be putting our children in debt thats equivelant to a starter home.

Football coaches in the SEC are making millions per year and I can tell you that now I'm living in the south college football is big business.

Ole Miss, Gators, Alabama, Auburn, Volunteers, Vanderbilt, Razorbacks, Bulldogs, the teams themselves bring in millions per season, it is big big business plus the towns busineses make bank from the fans that roll in on a Saturday afternoon.

I live in Virginia now and just outside Charlottesville and even the ACC teams bring in bucks, our Cavaliers are great at baseball but football not so much. Virginia Tech, Louisville, Clemson, and Seminoles are the ACC football teams, Duke and UNC are basketball.

If I wanted to be a business owner I would open in a college town, every year a new client base moves in, $$$.

Free college is a bad idea because there is nothing free for one and for two it would also devalue its credential, a better question would be to ask what is a degree actually worth in realistic terms and how can we control its costs so that a kid with the talent and drive to go can without taking mortgage size debt?

I have a technical degree in mechanics and refrigeration, I'm a tinkerer and like working with my hands, a desk job would drive me insane.

I paid for my own education and training by working for it, I served my country to afford it, every kid should do at least 3 years service in my opinion.

Old 11-02-2016, 07:02 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,520,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeytangofoxtrotalpha View Post
College should cost something because education obviously has value but education should not be putting our children in debt thats equivelant to a starter home.

Football coaches in the SEC are making millions per year and I can tell you that now I'm living in the south college football is big business.

Ole Miss, Gators, Alabama, Auburn, Volunteers, Vanderbilt, Razorbacks, Bulldogs, the teams themselves bring in millions per season, it is big big business plus the towns busineses make bank from the fans that roll in on a Saturday afternoon.

I live in Virginia now and just outside Charlottesville and even the ACC teams bring in bucks, our Cavaliers are great at baseball but football not so much. Virginia Tech, Louisville, Clemson, and Seminoles are the ACC football teams, Duke and UNC are basketball.

If I wanted to be a business owner I would open in a college town, every year a new client base moves in, $$$.

Free college is a bad idea because there is nothing free for one and for two it would also devalue its credential, a better question would be to ask what is a degree actually worth in realistic terms and how can we control its costs so that a kid with the talent and drive to go can without taking mortgage size debt?

I have a technical degree in mechanics and refrigeration, I'm a tinkerer and like working with my hands, a desk job would drive me insane.

I paid for my own education and training by working for it, I served my country to afford it, every kid should do at least 3 years service in my opinion.
Most European countries have "free" (taxpayer funded) higher education, but you have to test into it and be qualified, or else you're ushered into trades or other options that better suit your skill set.

Old 11-02-2016, 08:22 PM

Not a bad system though because those kids are being placed in programs that are going to make them successful.

Old 11-02-2016, 08:25 PM

You cant force someone through college, they will be miserable and fail at it. Our default setting in America is College, they dont tell the kids that a skilled technical trade can be just as rewarding.

Old 11-05-2016, 09:18 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,886,849 times
Quote:
You cant force someone through college, they will be miserable and fail at it. Our default setting in America is College, they dont tell the kids that a skilled technical trade can be just as rewarding.
Question - do those skilled technical trades not requiring degrees hire just as often, plentiful, and without unions helping them stay there? Really curious.

Cost of a college degree is obviously not a small number anymore. Hell, the cost can even depend on what your parents' income is, for 2 different people at a given school.

Old 11-05-2016, 10:22 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,203,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
The student loan bubble is going to burst because anyone that actually pays there loan and has good credit has done a refi w/ private lenders. My wife's loans where 6.8 refied down to 2.3. The gov is going to bet left w/all the loans that no one can pay.
Government loans can't be refin - that's the problem. Been charging 8% interest for decades and nobody can refinance them. Accumulated interest being capitalized then the interest starts on that compounded amount. Take that and charge 60% of income as repayment - because servicers aren't telling you can do repayment based on income instead of the standard rate - and they default because they rather eat and pay rent then pay their loan. The servicers get a kick back from the collectors they send it too who then get a big kickback from the government for "rehab" of the default meaning they get it on repayment again - when it never should have been off repayment because repayment should have been scheduled according to income. Then there's another default and the cycle starts again with servicers and collectors making a fortune - meanwhile the debtors credit and futures have been destroyed - and still - they're being charged 8% interest when even the sub primes were down at 3 or 4%.
Biggest
scam
ever

Old 11-05-2016, 10:35 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,203,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPool1998 View Post
Monthly take home is similar. Big difference is the mortgage, and groceries. I bought a fixer-upper, and have invested too much time and money on it. I had 20% down, and refinanced after 8 years to another 30 year.

We spend more on groceries which prevents from eating out. Eating out is a wallet vacuum, especially on Long Island.

Here's my ~5k/mo. on avg. expenses with two children:
Mortgage w/taxes - $1850
Life insurance - $60
Auto insurance - $115 (2 cars)
Gas for cars - $170
Electric bill - $60
Gas/Oil bill - $110 (rough average
Water bill - $30 (avg'd from year total)
Internet/Sling/Amazon Prime - $40/$25/$15
Eating out - $300
Groceries - $650
Kids' extra curriculars - $200 (2 kids, multiple activities)
Car payment - paid off
Clothing/Haircuts - 50 (not even)
Savings - $0
401K - $600
College accounts - $0
I'm seeing some very different things - my car insurance is about $115 per car - that's 2 cars so double that and electric bill wow - so cheap! Mine can hit $400 in the summer and heat about the same in the winter. Triple play is over $200 with Fios now that the promotion is gone - my cell phone alone is what you're paying for your internet/sling/amazon prime - which they charged like $99 not $15.
I'm not getting how your budget looks so cheap and we're certainly not living high on the hog - its just the bills we get seem so much higher - FOOD is more like $300 a WEEK and that's cooking and brown bag lunches - not even including take out or eating out which we consider entertainment - and the budget for that is nil.

Old 11-06-2016, 04:16 AM

245 posts, read 319,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattyneighbor View Post
I'm seeing some very different things - my car insurance is about $115 per car - that's 2 cars so double that and electric bill wow - so cheap! Mine can hit $400 in the summer and heat about the same in the winter. Triple play is over $200 with Fios now that the promotion is gone - my cell phone alone is what you're paying for your internet/sling/amazon prime - which they charged like $99 not $15.
I'm not getting how your budget looks so cheap and we're certainly not living high on the hog - its just the bills we get seem so much higher - FOOD is more like $300 a WEEK and that's cooking and brown bag lunches - not even including take out or eating out which we consider entertainment - and the budget for that is nil.
These are not normal expenses. I pay 115 for two cars more monthly. In the summer my electric bill hit 250 one month with central air running 24x7. 2000 square foot home. Now, I do have all energy efficient lighting. And food is about 450 a month for 3, not the 1200 you mention. And 200 for Fios? I'm paying 135 for optimum. Plenty of channels. Not all, but most except HBO, etc

Your spending is your own choice, but it is entirely possible to live way below that level without making any sacrifices.

Old 11-06-2016, 04:37 AM

5,057 posts, read 3,957,808 times
Quote:
Good point. In Germany one attends either a middle/high school (Gymnasium) that may lead to a federally-funded university or a middle/high school (Haptshule/Realshule) that leads to a trade school/internship. Exam and grade-based determination.

Competition for the fully federally-funded universities is quite keen and their universities strictly focus on academics (usually no dorms, sports, clubs, etc and very little administrative overhead))

Many of the trades covered by Germany's robust trade school /internship system require college degrees here in the US (or at least one would have difficulty being hired without a college degree).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island