Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 05:04 AM

5,056 posts, read 3,956,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneToGo View Post
In two weeks, he has accomplished 27 things he promised to do. Like it or not, I doubt any previous president can claim as much.
The fact that he is delivering on what he has promised during the campaign is just another reason for the childish tantrums of the tantruming Left.

The Senate walkout last week (to avoid being present while they lost several Trump nominee confirmation votes) was particular embarrassing behavior (for adults).

Must have been puzzling to the Lefty football fans (if any) that the Falcons post-game interviews did not included any whining about the long established scoring procedure, referee decisions, or turf condition. Apparently, Americans are not impressed by sore losers.

Trump's worst fear is that a centrist Democrat emerges, denounces the peculiar tantrums and faux fears currently dominating his/her party, ditches the fringe elements (Black Lives Matter, Occupy Wall Street, Anti-Free Speechers, and their ilk), works with Trump on a few popular initiatives, and builds a resume for electoral success in four years. The fact that old Lefties like Chuck Schumer, Nancy Pelosi, Elizabeth Warren, etc still dominate the Democratic Party is very comforting to Trump and the Republicans.

My prediction (and I predicted Trump's victory for what it is worth): The Dems can't manage that in four years, the shock and pain of the loss is far too great for rational behavior/wise action at this point. As we have seen thus far. Their new DNC leader will (whomever it is) be in the Schumer/Pelosi/Warren ideological mode.

There is a possibility they (the Dems) can conduct the self-reform they need during Trump's second term.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2017, 07:43 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,029,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Trump is not Congress, he obviously can't fix the problem solely with executive orders. His order simply encompassed what he has the power to do - enforce laws already on the book. IE, building the wall (which was authorized by Congress in 2006), targeting sanctuary cities, hiring more border control officers, shutting off the refugee flow, and travel bans on seven countries that were specifically listed under section 217(a)(12) of the INA, 8 U.S.C. 1187(a)(12) of the U.S. code:

These particular countries were chosen because they don't have functioning/cooperative governments and thus people who come from there can't be properly vetted. Immigration from Indonesia, the largest Muslim country on Earth, is not banned (nor is travel from approximately 40 other Muslim-majority countries) because it has a functioning government.

He's been in office for two weeks. Whether he is able to implement the full plan he set forth a year ago (which I'm sure you didn't bother to read) depends on what the GOP can get through Congress.
I'm glad you've toned down from taking my ilk out back to the woodshed and at least willing to have a rational discussion.

He sure seems to think he can solve things with the pen (or smartphone)... There is this undeniable sense that he is directing in a CEO fashion, not a diplomat who understands how our democracy works. I am familiar with his "plan" and know he's just getting warmed up - deportation squads, muslim registry, etc. That is what is scaring people.

You conveniently dodged my question. The actual violence against American citizens is being perpetrated by Americans. As much as the "Bowling Green massacre" might fit the narrative that the proposed ban could address, it doesn't look at the real issue. To insinuate otherwise is disingenuous. Let's fix the REAL problem instead of cute soundbytes.

Quote:
I see that you care nothing about your countrymen, putting them down as "inferior" as opposed to third-world labor that will work for pennies a day to enrich the 1%. Yes, it costs actual money to hire Americans instead of scab labor. It costs actual money to hire labor all first-world countries. The solution is not to put people out of work, but to create jobs that they can do. There are some people for whom flipping a burger or working with their hands is about all they can master - you propose just casting them aside? Putting them on the dole forever? Madness. The economy serves the people, not the other way around.
Are we talking about H1-Bs or low level manufacturing manual type jobs? You can't downshift and use my comments like that. Highly skilled and technical jobs are a serious problem and that's where corporations are abusing H1-Bs - let's continue to discuss how other countries are providing better candidates there or we can talk about sweat shops where it is a pure value proposition. There are synergies in the reasoning, but it is different in the details.

The corporate machine is a problem... they are the ones who "care nothing about (our) countrymen" - it is purely based on bottom line numbers driving their stock price. That needs to get addressed to get to the root of what you're talking about, but now you're battling powerful special interests who own the Congress. How about we start by getting their money out of politics... term limits... In a global workplace, forcing companies to hire Americans instead of the best value candidates is a slippery slope that has far reaching consequences on the economy. It may make sense that this economy should serve the people, but it is far from a reality. The fact that our economy serves Wall St and big corporate interests is an inconvenient truth... I know. But don't pretend otherwise.

Quote:
I'm painting with a broad brush because I don't want to put words in your mouth. The rest of this swill is not an argument.
Stop putting the entire country in 2 buckets... I mean, I get it - it makes things easier when you get on a rant. But, there's more than the ridiculous whiney left you see on TV smashing windows disrespecting LE. For me they are as embarrassing as the white supremacists and the hard core tea partiers who want to shut the government down. The trap that we fall into here (Facebook is ridiculous this way) has to stop... the cycle needs to end. Where are the reasonable people?

Old 02-06-2017, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
The fact that he is delivering on what he has promised during the campaign is just another reason for the childish tantrums of the tantruming Left.

The Senate walkout last week (to avoid being present while they lost several Trump nominee confirmation votes) was particular embarrassing behavior (for adults).

It is laughable to look at him delivering on promises like there was some sort of mandate. 54% of the country voted for someone other than him. Even if you went to the highest extreme of conspiracy theories about voter fraud he barely competes in the popular vote. So, he is not operating under a mandate by any stretch of the imagination. So you should stop acting like he is.

Short term memory issues about how the Congress was acting under Obama? Shutting down the government refusing to raise the borrowing limit... Ignoring SCOTUS appointment. The list goes on, but suffice to say essentially refusing to do their jobs for years. I mean really.

Still waiting for him to act like a leader and unite the country.

Old 02-06-2017, 08:13 AM

731 posts, read 725,077 times
Looking forward to another week of President Trump and the continuing popping sounds of liberal heads.

Old 02-06-2017, 08:14 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,825,932 times
Voted Trump: 62,985,105
Voted Clinton: 65,852,625
Suddenly Give a Sh*t: 71,242,647

Old 02-06-2017, 10:07 AM

5,056 posts, read 3,956,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
It is laughable to look at him delivering on promises like there was some sort of mandate. 54% of the country voted for someone other than him.
Here in the US we use the state-based electoral college system. For the last 200 years. Clinton won under 20 states. We have 50 states here in the US. She was walloped.

(Although it is meaningless, since victory grants the mandate to be president in our system, 57% of the country voted for someone other than Bill Clinton when Bill was elected president the first time and 51% of the country voted for someone other than Bill Clinton when Bill was re-elected president. He received his mandate to be president based on, of course, his victory in our 200-year-old state-based electoral system. Even sillier and even more irrelevantly, 52% of the country voted for someone other than Hillary this election.)

The first step in returning to power at the state, legislative, judicial and presidential level for the Dems (who suffered unprecedented losses this past November) is admitting they lost. And lost big time. Fair and square. And that is just the first step. Clearly hard for some to accept.

Old 02-06-2017, 10:46 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,828,984 times
Because................they have..............lots of oil.

Old 02-06-2017, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
Here in the US we use the state-based electoral college system. For the last 200 years. Clinton won under 20 states. We have 50 states here in the US. She was walloped.

(Although it is meaningless, since victory grants the mandate to be president in our system, 57% of the country voted for someone other than Bill Clinton when Bill was elected president the first time and 51% of the country voted for someone other than Bill Clinton when Bill was re-elected president. He received his mandate to be president based on, of course, his victory in our 200-year-old state-based electoral system. Even sillier and even more irrelevantly, 52% of the country voted for someone other than Hillary this election.)

The first step in returning to power at the state, legislative, judicial and presidential level for the Dems (who suffered unprecedented losses this past November) is admitting they lost. And lost big time. Fair and square. And that is just the first step. Clearly hard for some to accept.
I'm not arguing someone else should be POTUS and I am certainly not a Clinton supporter. I'm making a point that there shouldn't be shock that a majority of the country is unhappy with Trump's actions since they do not agree with his policies... as you point out, a common consequence of the archaic electoral system that we still honor today. The fact the majority of the country do not want him as POTUS is not going to change and based on Trump's actions it is likely to only get worse.

There is nothing "fair and square" about our electoral system. From gerrymandering to flat ignorance of constituents. It is completely broken and a joke - we've always flirted with being an oligarchy throughout our history, but it seems we are as close as ever. Heck, closer to a banana republic.

This pie in the sky concept you have of fairness in politics is beyond naive and disconcerting. Flipping to the Dems as you suggest as an answer will be more of the same - the cycle of special interests controlling both parties is what needs to end. While you worry about which "team" is winning the game, the true power rests elsewhere.

Acceptance as an answer (the first step according to you), goes against everything. When we "accept" representation this bad, we are just sinking further away from the 200 year old concepts of our founding fathers. We are a country rich in history of protests - suggesting otherwise is pure silliness.

Old 02-06-2017, 11:45 AM

5,826 posts, read 2,945,690 times
Oh my. Did the middle class finally wake up?

A quote from a movie stuck with me for some time. Killing them Softly is the name of the movie. Last lines of the movie say something like this.
America is Not a country, its a Business. Now Pay Me.

From then on I slept a bit better. Because when every war for the last 40 years has been a **** show for profit, its becomes clear what the politics of this country are all about.

All I hope for is no more new wars where more of our troops die. Other than that, we can have a little fun with what the news brings us every morning.

Old 02-06-2017, 06:38 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,520,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I'm glad you've toned down from taking my ilk out back to the woodshed and at least willing to have a rational discussion.

He sure seems to think he can solve things with the pen (or smartphone)... There is this undeniable sense that he is directing in a CEO fashion, not a diplomat who understands how our democracy works. I am familiar with his "plan" and know he's just getting warmed up - deportation squads, muslim registry, etc. That is what is scaring people.

You conveniently dodged my question. The actual violence against American citizens is being perpetrated by Americans. As much as the "Bowling Green massacre" might fit the narrative that the proposed ban could address, it doesn't look at the real issue. To insinuate otherwise is disingenuous. Let's fix the REAL problem instead of cute soundbytes.

Are we talking about H1-Bs or low level manufacturing manual type jobs? You can't downshift and use my comments like that. Highly skilled and technical jobs are a serious problem and that's where corporations are abusing H1-Bs - let's continue to discuss how other countries are providing better candidates there or we can talk about sweat shops where it is a pure value proposition. There are synergies in the reasoning, but it is different in the details.

The corporate machine is a problem... they are the ones who "care nothing about (our) countrymen" - it is purely based on bottom line numbers driving their stock price. That needs to get addressed to get to the root of what you're talking about, but now you're battling powerful special interests who own the Congress. How about we start by getting their money out of politics... term limits... In a global workplace, forcing companies to hire Americans instead of the best value candidates is a slippery slope that has far reaching consequences on the economy. It may make sense that this economy should serve the people, but it is far from a reality. The fact that our economy serves Wall St and big corporate interests is an inconvenient truth... I know. But don't pretend otherwise.

Stop putting the entire country in 2 buckets... I mean, I get it - it makes things easier when you get on a rant. But, there's more than the ridiculous whiney left you see on TV smashing windows disrespecting LE. For me they are as embarrassing as the white supremacists and the hard core tea partiers who want to shut the government down. The trap that we fall into here (Facebook is ridiculous this way) has to stop... the cycle needs to end. Where are the reasonable people?
I don't get it. You're shifting effortlessly from complaining that he isn't doing anything to fix problems and then complaining that he's moving too fast and wants even more than what he's doing. You can't have it both ways.

I voted for Trump because I want him to do the things he's doing, and more. I'm not concerned in the least with what the coastal elites think. They wouldn't have voted for any candidate the GOP nominated, even a weakling turd like Jeb. And their mouthpiece - the MSM - is hopelessly biased and corrupt.

We don't need to be flooded with unskilled labor. This is not the Industrial Revolution - manufacturing jobs and other manual labor is hard to come by now, when they used to be the cornerstone of the middle class. You're right in that corporate greed drives this, but that's only one half of the equation. The other half is that new immigrants vote overwhelmingly for big government, which means the Democratic Party. If Clinton had won, it's likely that demographics would have prevented a Republican presidential candidate from ever winning again.

Corporate greed and vote hungry Democrats have brought us to the brink of disaster. Now is the time to dial it back. We've never had such a long period of mass immigration as we've had since 1965. The last time we got close, we shut the borders in 1925 and let all the people assimilate. Another period like that is needed. Except for the Muslims, they don't belong here and should all be immediately deported.

Truth is we don't have a popular vote and never have. People in red states don't bother voting because Alabama et al. are not at risk of going blue. Sort of like how a Trump vote is useless in NY. The extra millions of votes Clinton got came almost exclusively from California, where there is not a single Republican in statewide office. In fact, they don't even have a chance - they use a runoff voting system that runs the top most popular candidates regardless of party affiliation so most of the time you're just choosing between two democrats. What's the point of showing up to vote for Trump under those circumstances? Not even to mention that California automatically registers you to vote when you get a drivers license, and they give drivers licenses to illegal aliens... yeah, you do the math.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island