Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 05:21 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,672,158 times

Advertisements

50K / annum = $4000 /month, not counting in taxes.

$1500/month on rent = something like 40% of your net income to live Moderator Cut: inappropriate comments where the people care lots more about their "quality of life" than their own kids.

Moderator Cut: inappropriate comments

Last edited by madicarus2000; 03-04-2008 at 10:57 PM.. Reason: Keep the comments civil and refrain from bashing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 05:27 PM

1,058 posts, read 3,490,814 times
Default we have discussed this topic in the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrnyescpe View Post
Wow.. this isn't fair.. homeowners renting these homes that clearly are single family or mother/daughter homes.

This is not right.. right online, no shame, these real estate places are showing partial homes as apartments, in fact, one homeowner I read about is renting just a bedroom. It has to stop here and it has to stop now.. us homeowners are paying taxes and trying to get by with a tough mortgage payment and not break the law while these other homeowners collect rent illegally. What should happen is that the the owner of these homes & the real estate that represents them should be subject to a stiff fine.

This has to stop here and now.. if this is going to happen then I as well as friends down my block., most of which feel the same way are going to rent our single family homes as well. I don't care about the homeowners not covering renters if no one is going to do anything about these people..

I know many real estates are pushing these rentals and their probably still up on their websites, I saw a few from each realtor. All were asking for is the same fair treatment & legal authorities should get involved.. now

We have discussed this topic in the past.

Unfortunately there is little that can be done to stop this trend. The suburban dream is fading here on Long Island. Levittown is not the only place where homes are either being chopped up into rentals or rented out by absentee landlords - its all over. People don't care about neighborhoods any longer, many suburban landlords are unscrupulous and just want to make as much money as possible. They don't care about your suburban dream.

Unfortunately the authorities look the other way because what can they do - throw people out onto the street. It is not going to happen. Expect things to get worse. The quality of life in many communities on Long Island is deteriorating. Its just another reason why so many of us want to leave and find a place that resembles what Long Island was once like.

Old 03-04-2008, 05:33 PM

1,058 posts, read 3,490,814 times
Default 100% correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
That slippery slope has been on the Island for decades and you're now on the downhill slide. Unfortunately Long Island by not having enough diverse forms of housing is finally starting to bite. Let's say you close down the illegal apartments, where do the young marrieds and singles go to live?
We have discussed this before also. Long Islanders have to get past the anti-multiple unit housing mindset. Everywhere else in the country metro areas consist of single family homes, condo developments and high rises. Here on Long Island NIMBYism has prevented the development of multiple unit housing for many years.

Why?

Well it is either fear of lower class folks or fear of non-whites or a combination of both.

What has been the result?

All those illegal rentals in your neighborhood: half a dozen cars in front of some homes, illegal basement apartments with no windows, ugly side and back of the house staircases, extra pressure on school and town services, etc...

Old 03-04-2008, 05:53 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,156,959 times
Right, and that is what's so ironic about being up in arms about the illegal apts, which none of us really like. There has been a demand for housing other than single family homes for decades, and since it wasn't built legally in line with the demand for whatever reason you now have it illegally and sounds like it's worse than it ever was.

BTW, Does anyone really think the local governments cared or were really against these kind of dwellings in the past? They've been a part of LI for a very long time and could have been stopped at anytime along the way.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:22 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,116,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
I feel that the "20 somethings" want everything their parents have, right away! Do they drive old cars? NO! They lease new ones. Do they work a second Job? NO! They need to go to the city clubs and blow $300 for a night out. Of course, this is not everyone but a general trend. .
Again another great point!!! I have seen too many people around me do the same things as well, make poor choices and think that b/c their friend who is in their late 30s owns a home, that they need to own that home in their late 20s. All in time people....save to get what you want, without being so impulsive in the moment.

Old 03-05-2008, 05:22 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,156,959 times
My wife and I are some of the bad LIers, we owned in our early and mid 20's.
We did have actual cash on hand and our first home was a 1100 sq ft condo.

But I do agree with your point Glad and think it starts in childhood with parents giving Little Johnny a new toy because some other Johnny has one. After awhile kids just feel entitled and that can carry over into adulthood.

Old 03-05-2008, 07:49 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,555,237 times
ClarkStreetKid,

I don't think buying young is an issue. We bought our house 6 months after we got married. Which turned out to be the best finanical move I made in my life. I think that you should buy as soon as you can and avoid rent. But we wait 8 years to put in our dream kitchen and did 50% of the work ourselves. I still drive a car that is 11 years old and bought my other car with cash. I could afford to lease 2 really nice cars but I don't.

You are right about parents. Look at what the seniors in your local high school drive.....even I can't buy some of those cars & they are 17....its crazy

Old 03-12-2008, 05:48 PM

659 posts, read 2,519,913 times
I don't think buying young is the issue. My husband and I bought our home when I was 25. I just turned 28 and we still think it's the best move. Why throw money away renting when you can buy?

We saved our money and chose to scrimp and keep our credit score high so we could purchase a home. We busted our butts in college and graduate school (w/student loans) to get nice jobs. I don't feel too bad for young people who can't make it on LI.

Many 20 somethings that I see want to party and live it up or not work hard and then complain that they have no money. I see it alot even with my own friends. They blow $300.00 at a bar in one night and can't afford car payments. They need to prioritize. I think lifestyle is the main reason young people can't buy, as there are quite a few areas with affordable homes.

Old 03-13-2008, 01:16 PM

1,386 posts, read 5,352,108 times
I bought young, at 25, a small 2 br house. I strongly considered getting a "mother daughter house" code for illegal apartment and decided against it for a couple of reasons, the "breaking the law" and I didn't want to be that close to other people. I also had a real problem with what was being offered. I couldn't ask people to live in the conditions that some of these apartments were in, the short basements, the 2 small rooms on the top of a small cape etc. I couldn't sell it to myself that I would be renting out garbage to people.

The NIMBY attitude has to stop. Especially with rentals. I understand people don't want "undesirables" by whatever definition you have for them, whether it be poor, a particular race etc. However, done right, we can have some decent affordable apartments. Affordable apartments is a relative term, we’re not setting up something where we have a building full of day laborers paying 300 a month for rent. Look at great neck or Rockville center, both thriving downtowns with coops.

We're never going to get cheap apartments here, but something relatively affordable in a nice area will be head over heels better than some basement apartment. I might have considered renting if there were adequate rentals in a nice downtown, instead of paying a fortune for a dungeon.

Also we don't report people for fear of repercussions. I'm afraid that if I call, I'm going to find my car trashed and be shunned from my street.

Old 10-24-2008, 06:05 PM

85 posts, read 315,544 times
Its defenatly not unfair to you homeowners. Imagine if you were gona loose your home do to the extreme increase in taxes and costs within the past 3 years. Now, its either life or death and you can thank the congress, your senators, and other corupt money takers that "work for the people of Long Island." Also, without these illegal apartments, extremelly hard working young men like myself in there 20's would not be able to live in there own place at all. For a basic piece of crap studio in a decent area its $1000 plus utilities, and if not including utilities, there usually included for around $1000-$1200 for a closet as an apartment. If it wasn't for the place that I found even though it is a basement and after growing up in a nice middle class house on Long Island, to be making really decent money and having to live in a basement well then, thats the real Long Island. Thank god for you home owners that make it possible for other hard working american citizens to live decently without having to move to the slums of the 5 boro's just to catch the smallest of breaks. I don't agree that one should rent to illegal aliens, thats a whole different ball game. But for the colllege graduate, or hard working american citizen, if it wasn't for you guy's, I would have to live in the slums of the 5 boro's or be completely wiped out financially by rent being 2 1/2 pay checks a month... Imagine being able to keep only $500 a month, and that still has to go to cell phone, gas, food, and if you lucky mabye even get to go out on the weekends to grab a beer..... $1200 for a legal one room apt..... $6-$800 for a illegal one room apt.... Its the ILLEGALS THAT RUIN IT... not american citizens renting a room in somebody's house...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island