Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 11:54 AM

4 posts, read 13,609 times

Advertisements

So we lived in Lynbrook for the past 10 years. We rented until last year when we bought our first home in the Yorkshire area. We already knew about the parking regulations, but our real estate agent had guaranteed us that we could always request a temporary overnight guest pass in case we were having company spending the night. Our driveway can only accomodate 4 cars. Our garage is stuffed cause we had to move things to free space for our guests this weekend. I called the village hall and i was told that they do not give overnight passes unless there was a family emergency like a death in the family. I had a already told her that it was for a wedding. We have family coming from out of state and staying with us, and I would like some advice on how to park their cars. Who should i turn to?
Thank you for your response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2018, 12:05 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
I have always wondered ... what is the reason for that? Parking is only not allowed to be done from 3a-5a but within any other hours, one can park. What goes on from 3a-5a that cars cannot park? (I have heard about this ... Malverne has a similar type thing).

Maybe just have your guests go to a 24hour Dunkin Donuts for 2 hours from 3a-5a, lol. Sorry, I don't really know how it all works... more curious about the reasoning really.

From the Lynbrook Police Website:
Temporary overnight parking permission is given for driveway repairs, out of town company due to family emergencies, & similar situations on a case by case basis. Do not call for permanent permission to park overnight as such permission will not be granted. Have the make, year & license plate information on all vehicles you are requesting permission to park available when you call.

Old 04-25-2018, 12:08 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
^^^it prevents rentals.

I would GO to village hall in person and speak with the desk sergeant. Going in person is always preferable. I know they will do this in garden city but you have to go in person. Be prepared to have tag numbers.
I would also consider saying it's a funeral not a wedding.

Old 04-25-2018, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
^^^it prevents rentals.

I would GO to village hall in person and speak with the desk sergeant. Going in person is always preferable. I know they will do this in garden city but you have to go in person. Be prepared to have tag numbers.
I get it ... but I mean if the LL is giving the tenant permission to use their driveway (which many will/do) it doesn't really prevent any rental... ?

That's just dumb. People have to live somewhere. With costs the way they are on LI, many people cannot afford to own.

Old 04-25-2018, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
^^^it prevents rentals.

Thanks for that reply. I am tempted to do this as well, but i am superstitious and afraid of jinxing my family, lol.
This is so frustrating. We pay so much taxes and can't even have guests for a weekend. Rockville Center's website allows overnight passes, why not Lynbrook. I am definitely writing to the mayor. I will also take your advice and go in person.

Old 04-25-2018, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedaleira View Post
Thanks for that reply. I am tempted to do this as well, but i am superstitious and afraid of jinxing my family, lol.
This is so frustrating. We pay so much taxes and can't even have guests for a weekend. Rockville Center's website allows overnight passes, why not Lynbrook. I am definitely writing to the mayor. I will also take your advice and go in person.
Could they park overnight @ the LIRR?

I know in TOH lots like Baldwin, Bellmore, Merrick etc, you don't need a permit to park overnight.

Old 04-25-2018, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I get it ... but I mean if the LL is giving the tenant permission to use their driveway (which many will/do) it doesn't really prevent any rental... ?

That's just dumb. People have to live somewhere. With costs the way they are on LI, many people cannot afford to own.
Right? We rented for years, and we always drove 2 cars. Our landlord had a huge driveway, so it was never a problem.

Old 04-25-2018, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Could they park overnight @ the LIRR?

I know in TOH lots like Baldwin, Bellmore, Merrick etc, you don't need a permit to park overnight.
I will look into that. She told me that they can us the field parking, but i am not sure if we have to pay for it if its overnight. It is still such a major inconvenience though. All that taxes, and we can't get an overnight pass. It's not like we need it for a month or even a week.

Old 04-25-2018, 12:46 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,078,565 times
Wouldn't the out of state license plate be an indicator that the vehicle is not local? Why can't you park on the street winter is over?

Old 04-25-2018, 01:46 PM

87 posts, read 99,226 times
I’m sure the village does not have the manpower to issue temporary parking passes. If they issue one to you everyone else will expect one also whenever they have overnight guests and then it snowballs into a full time job. Makes sense to say no to all.

Unfortunately some agents tell you what you want to hear to make a sale but overall it’s your responsibility to verify all information.

You will need to find the closet municipal lot and have your guests park there or risk getting a ticket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island