Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2017, 12:39 PM

81 posts, read 128,460 times

Advertisements

I've read one post on this board and overheard someone saying that for 2018, Nassau county is going to do a full reassessment of properties for the purpose of updating property taxes.

I am in the process of looking for a home in NC and want to know how this will affect me. So far, we have been shying away from properties with high property taxes. These properties typically ask for more due to the low property taxes. For instance, several are priced higher due to the low property taxes since the owner has grieved them for many years.

We have also been avoiding new construction properties primarily due to the super high property taxes associated with them.

For instance, we are looking at a 4k sqft place built in the 80s where the owner is asking 1.675mio (though will probably go for about 1.6m), but the property taxes are 23k. The house needs a new kitchen and bathrooms which we are estimating 125k for.

There is also a new construction property for about 1.7 mio which is also 4k sqft, but the property taxes are going up to 37k for the 2019 school year according to the nassau county tax website.

My worry is that if there will indeed be a full reassessment for 2018, both houses will be valued similarly and be taxed similarly, in which case I would rather go for the new house.

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2017, 01:38 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,890,648 times
Couldn't anything change with the spotlight on the local gov't corruption that's been in the news? Or will that have nothing to do with where funds go and how much is still needed?

If I had to bet, I'd say nothing will be reassessed until there's more certainty at the top.

Old 07-17-2017, 02:53 PM

22,672 posts, read 36,816,101 times
There's no way in hell that anyone knows what's gonna happen. Bottom line buy the house you like and grieve, grieve, grieve. Personally I would take the older house because even if they raise the taxes it won't come close to the new house anytime soon. Most new construction on LI is in crappy locations, too, unless this was a teardown.

Old 07-17-2017, 02:59 PM

577 posts, read 979,870 times
There will be a new County Ex in 2018 & may take some time before he/she finds the copy machine. By the time he/she starts the politically unpopular reassessment process your unborn kids kids may be the ones that will have to worry about it.

As a side note has the media ever done a study on the assessment values of the homes of all politicians ( & their relatives ) & other connected individuals Nassau County? I bet it would make for interesting reading & get some rookie reporter a promotion.

Old 07-17-2017, 06:06 PM

20,060 posts, read 20,872,330 times
Lube not included.

Old 07-19-2017, 08:19 AM

81 posts, read 128,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crv1010 View Post
There will be a new County Ex in 2018 & may take some time before he/she finds the copy machine. By the time he/she starts the politically unpopular reassessment process your unborn kids kids may be the ones that will have to worry about it.

As a side note has the media ever done a study on the assessment values of the homes of all politicians ( & their relatives ) & other connected individuals Nassau County? I bet it would make for interesting reading & get some rookie reporter a promotion.
I bet they live in $3 mio houses with a pool, tennis court, FINISHED BASEMENT and pay 20k in property tax!

Thanks for your replies. I am just really nervous after looking at the range in property taxes for similar properties I have seen. The price I pay will be a function of the taxes as I'm looking at my all in cost.

Old 07-20-2017, 03:37 AM

2,033 posts, read 3,209,932 times
If you are on Facebook join the group called. Nassau - Grieve Your Tax Assessment - Free. Awesome group. The attorney Jeff that started that group & has seminars occasionally to help people do it themselves for no cost is amazing! But he gives step by step instructions via this group on how to easily do it all yourself. Helped so many people. He is running for Legislator with this platform. Saved lots of money for several people we know. At no cost.

Join that group & ask your question there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: