Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 08:27 AM

158 posts, read 189,551 times

Advertisements

I just don't get who is going to want to live there. the developer keeps saying "millennials" who want a city "lifestyle" https://www.islipbulletin.net/4377/B...o-to-Heartland

...it all comes down to 2 things: jobs and schools. the jobs for millennials are in NYC. but this "walkable" community has the closest train station a 40 min walk away to an hour+ train ride to Penn. even the millennials who take the bait initially will leave when they have kids because of the school district.

otherwise it's just a retirement community on steroids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2017, 12:50 PM

958 posts, read 1,107,652 times
Wonder how much the Islip town Board got $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$

Old 07-20-2017, 01:59 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,744,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chetstash View Post
I assume all the folks against this project will refuse to visit the completed project and associated nice restaurants and walkable promenades?
I would have absolutely no reason to visit it. When all is said and done, it is still Brentwood. Last time I went to Tanger, the clientelle was predominantly third world. It's a short hop from Tanger to Heartland. I don't see how Heartland's "Promenades" will be much different. The paperwork cites the project adding almost 1,800 children to the Brentwood school district. The developer tried playing down this number stating the project was geared toward young couples and retirees. Older students among those 1,800 children will be bringing their friends into the project when they're hanging out. Why would I want to drive and deal with that, if I can stay local and enjoy what my area has to offer?

Old 07-20-2017, 02:18 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,966,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I would have absolutely no reason to visit it. When all is said and done, it is still Brentwood. Last time I went to Tanger, the clientelle was predominantly third world. It's a short hop from Tanger to Heartland. I don't see how Heartland's "Promenades" will be much different. The paperwork cites the project adding almost 1,800 children to the Brentwood school district. The developer tried playing down this number stating the project was geared toward young couples and retirees. Older students among those 1,800 children will be bringing their friends into the project when they're hanging out. Why would I want to drive and deal with that, if I can stay local and enjoy what my area has to offer?
Plus, you're gonna sit in the outlining roads for 20 minutes coming and going. I'd rather go anywhere else.

Old 07-20-2017, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJim3 View Post
I just don't get who is going to want to live there. the developer keeps saying "millennials" who want a city "lifestyle" https://www.islipbulletin.net/4377/B...o-to-Heartland

...it all comes down to 2 things: jobs and schools. the jobs for millennials are in NYC. but this "walkable" community has the closest train station a 40 min walk away to an hour+ train ride to Penn. even the millennials who take the bait initially will leave when they have kids because of the school district.

otherwise it's just a retirement community on steroids.
Marketing buzz words.

As for jobs look slightly eastward and think reverse commute. The project is not far from the County Center and courts in Hauppauge, one of the largest industrial parks in the US, several Community Colleges and SUNY Stony Brook, along with UHSB and numerous hospitals on both the north and south shore.

The project also includes office towers -- some as high as 20 floors -- where (perhaps?) some of the residents might either relocate their businesses or be employed.

I don't want to see what will come of it, because I doubt that the developer's vision is what wil actually emerge.

Old 07-21-2017, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Marketing buzz words.

As for jobs look slightly eastward and think reverse commute. The project is not far from the County Center and courts in Hauppauge, one of the largest industrial parks in the US, several Community Colleges and SUNY Stony Brook, along with UHSB and numerous hospitals on both the north and south shore.

The project also includes office towers -- some as high as 20 floors -- where (perhaps?) some of the residents might either relocate their businesses or be employed.

I don't want to see what will come of it, because I doubt that the developer's vision is what wil actually emerge.
let's be honest, those places to the east can support maybe what, 5-10% TOPS of the (planned full capacity) residents there? for the vast majority of millennials (ie young and starting their careers), the greatest opp's by far for jobs are in NYC. it's not even close to a comparison.

and I thought the whole idea of this thing was a "walk-able/bike-able community", "where people can live, work and play all in one place"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=payoIQLD-lw

not, everyone has a car and drives east to go to work somewhere else.

bottom line, it's still Brentwood school district. the appeal of LI is 2 things: NYC jobs and (mostly) great schools. if they were creating a new school district and had an LIRR line, this could maybe work.

Old 07-21-2017, 08:17 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,551,214 times
I saw this concept on a much smaller scale outside Annapolis MD. It was actually very nice and interesting. However, there are some key differences:

1) Annapolis was geared to high end retail. Condos were expensive.
2) Due to the pricing, it was more for maturing adults.
3) Annapolis has a lot of year round activities for tourism.
4) Brentwood is no Annapolis.

Old 07-21-2017, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJim3 View Post
let's be honest, those places to the east can support maybe what, 5-10% TOPS of the (planned full capacity) residents there? for the vast majority of millennials (ie young and starting their careers), the greatest opp's by far for jobs are in NYC. it's not even close to a comparison.
I see the future residents as already employed (be it LI or NYC) and looking to situate themselves somewhere with a reasonable commute. The plan was for approximately 9,000 apartments. Let's multiply that by by 4 people per unit -- 36,000 people, If there are two working adults per unit, that's 18,000 adults. using your high guesstimate of 10% that's 1,800 jobs split between at least 5 hospitals, 1 university, 2 community colleges, courts and the county offices. Don't forget those employed by the school districts, LIRR and SCPD. (Interesting side note: Newsday listed the Brentwood School District as the 24th largest employer on LI. With the projected addition of 1,800 children from this project, there will be a need for more employees.)

Quote:
and I thought the whole idea of this thing was a "walk-able/bike-able community", "where people can live, work and play all in one place"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=payoIQLD-lw

not, everyone has a car and drives east to go to work somewhere else.

bottom line, it's still Brentwood school district. the appeal of LI is 2 things: NYC jobs and (mostly) great schools. if they were creating a new school district and had an LIRR line, this could maybe work.
They're selling it as that but their allowing one parking spot per apartment near the unit with additional parking spots for a 2nd vehicle further away and for a premium. 9,000 apartments and the real possibility of 18,000 cars.

While there will be buses and trollies to ferry residents and visitors around, people will still need to go elsewhere. You mention people not having cars and driving east; what about people who might move there who work in Nassau, or who work off hours when trains and buses run less frequently?

Old 07-21-2017, 08:58 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,829,015 times
Scrap every project. Just keep building bodegas, banks and check cashing stores. Awesome!!

Think about how nice that Lighthouse Project is coming out and the Islanders back at home in their new arena...oh wait...nevermind...nice parking lot, new white lines and everything!

Nimby's rule!

Old 07-21-2017, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
Scrap every project. Just keep building bodegas, banks and check cashing stores. Awesome!!

Think about how nice that Lighthouse Project is coming out and the Islanders back at home in their new arena...oh wait...nevermind...nice parking lot, new white lines and everything!

Nimby's rule!
as I said above, if they were creating a new school district and had an LIRR line, this could maybe work. I don't have a problem with development at all. I was in favor of the Lighthouse. I just don't understand the logic of Heartland at THIS location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island