Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 10:50 AM

8 posts, read 9,441 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I’m looking for suggestions/recommendations on areas to live on Long Island.
We are a Jewish/Israeli family of four who have been living in Brooklyn (renting) for the past 5 years. We have 2 girls. One is 4 and the other is a baby (4 months). We would like to move next summer (2018).
My husband and I both work in the city (I work in the Financial District and he works near Grand Central Terminal) so the commute issue is very important to us.
We would like a great public school system although we are open to private school if it’s within our budget.
Looking to spend no more than $600,000 on a house but first we would like to rent for a year (or less if possible) to make sure we really do like the town we chose.
I’d like a town that is diverse but also has Jews in the public schools as that would make us feel more part of the community.

We actually were thinking of Millburn/Summit in NJ but because our daughter won’t be eligible to start Kindergarden next year (because of the Oct 1 cut off date) we need to find other options.
I really like the town of Summit. Commute wise too it is great. The only way this would work though is if we have her do Kindergarden again the year after in NJ (so she would do K twice).
It’s not the end of the world if we go down that route but I’d like to know if maybe we were too focused on NJ and there are actually better options on Long Island.
I know lots of Jews live in Five Towns – which public schools there are considered the best?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 11:58 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaliSinvani View Post
Hi,
I’m looking for suggestions/recommendations on areas to live on Long Island.
We are a Jewish/Israeli family of four who have been living in Brooklyn (renting) for the past 5 years. We have 2 girls. One is 4 and the other is a baby (4 months). We would like to move next summer (2018).
My husband and I both work in the city (I work in the Financial District and he works near Grand Central Terminal) so the commute issue is very important to us.
We would like a great public school system although we are open to private school if it’s within our budget.
Looking to spend no more than $600,000 on a house but first we would like to rent for a year (or less if possible) to make sure we really do like the town we chose.
I’d like a town that is diverse but also has Jews in the public schools as that would make us feel more part of the community.

We actually were thinking of Millburn/Summit in NJ but because our daughter won’t be eligible to start Kindergarden next year (because of the Oct 1 cut off date) we need to find other options.
I really like the town of Summit. Commute wise too it is great. The only way this would work though is if we have her do Kindergarden again the year after in NJ (so she would do K twice).
It’s not the end of the world if we go down that route but I’d like to know if maybe we were too focused on NJ and there are actually better options on Long Island.
I know lots of Jews live in Five Towns – which public schools there are considered the best?
If the commute is really that important to you, forget LI and look at Westchester instead.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-03-2017, 12:04 PM

Westchester would be more expensive - don't you think?

Old 08-03-2017, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
If the commute is really that important to you, forget LI and look at Westchester instead.
Isn't Westchester more expensive?

Old 08-03-2017, 12:15 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
What? She works in the FiDi...

LI is more of a middle ground. Westchester would be a great commute for the husband and horrible for her.

Old 08-03-2017, 12:17 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
Quote:
depends where.

Old 08-03-2017, 12:56 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,866,342 times
Quote:

For your stated budget, in Westchester, you will be in the running with a house that needs substantial remediation and/or in a fringe neighborhood. Go post in the Westchester forums and you'll get suggestions like Thornwood and Valhalla and assurances from posters that it is just OK to buy your home there (yeah, right).

I would say somewhere in NJ would be a good compromise for both you and your husband between quality of house/neighborhood/school and commute. $600K won't work out in Summit though. Look at Florham Park which has a sizable Jewish community, good schools, and some nice rental complexes like Avalon and Sun Valley. Other areas you can explore (though less Jewish) are Metuchen and Cranford.

Commute won't be fast (just like the LIRR) but you can get good house stock for your budget as well as a comfortable commute to FiDi via Hoboken or Newark Penn without using subways. Your husband will get off at NY Penn.

Old 08-03-2017, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
depends where.
Would love to hear some suggestions!

Old 08-03-2017, 01:17 PM

307 posts, read 637,520 times
You may be able to find something in Dobbs Ferry - which wouldn't be a bad commute, or even Tarrytown. If you're willing to do 45 minutes to GC then you could look at Croton on Hudson- which is further north.

Old 08-03-2017, 01:21 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,866,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil1973 View Post
You may be able to find something in Dobbs Ferry - which wouldn't be a bad commute, or even Tarrytown. If you're willing to do 45 minutes to GC then you could look at Croton on Hudson- which is further north.

Not sure if OP can still aim for Dobbs or Tarrytown at the stated budget, as listings in these areas have been subject to bidding wars where the final sale price was way above the list. A good home in Croton would be a stretch plus OP's commute will be penalized with the subway transfer at Grand Central.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island