Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2017, 09:43 AM

1,376 posts, read 1,202,682 times

Advertisements

Son is trying to trap a stray feline and her kittens & there might be another feline too (papa maybe)- presuming that happens - will have to bring them to a vet to have them checked out, treated, fixed - whatever until homes can be found for the feline family.

Problem is the logistics.
The vets we know of all require appts & nobody can say when these will be trapped - they have to be taken directly because there's other pets and children in the house so they can't really be housed there until they've been checked out & maybe will have to be boarded or otherwise isolated while treated.

None of us can afford big bills for these cats and more importantly - can't keep them caged while trying to get vet appts. There used to be a vet in Nassau you could just walk in (during certain hours) -but I can't remember the name -& someone recommended Island Rescue - which we've used many years ago - but the recent YELP reviews have been awful so no thanks - plus its far from my son.

That said - must be some animal rescuers out there who've dealt with this & have some recommendations.

Bottom line - he can foster them until they're re-homed but not until they've been checked & treated for whatever ails them first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2017, 10:22 AM

216 posts, read 446,079 times
Hi Chattyneighbor,

I have used Island Rescue in Bay Shore in the past with no issues but didn't know about those reviews until after the fact. Also I have used Farmingdale Dog & Cat Clinic on Conklin Avenue since they will vet ferals. They have a TNR (Trap, Neuter, Return) program. You can make an appoint and tell they you have a feral. You can cancel if trapping is not successful.

What area is your son in? I can find a local rescue for you and get more info to you about local vets with walk in. PM me if you prefer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chattyneighbor View Post
Son is trying to trap a stray feline and her kittens & there might be another feline too (papa maybe)- presuming that happens - will have to bring them to a vet to have them checked out, treated, fixed - whatever until homes can be found for the feline family.

Problem is the logistics.
The vets we know of all require appts & nobody can say when these will be trapped - they have to be taken directly because there's other pets and children in the house so they can't really be housed there until they've been checked out & maybe will have to be boarded or otherwise isolated while treated.

None of us can afford big bills for these cats and more importantly - can't keep them caged while trying to get vet appts. There used to be a vet in Nassau you could just walk in (during certain hours) -but I can't remember the name -& someone recommended Island Rescue - which we've used many years ago - but the recent YELP reviews have been awful so no thanks - plus its far from my son.

That said - must be some animal rescuers out there who've dealt with this & have some recommendations.

Bottom line - he can foster them until they're re-homed but not until they've been checked & treated for whatever ails them first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island