Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 05:33 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,225,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
Ha. Probably all the NY ex-pats that troll around in here. "The bagels are no good down hee-yah, it's dat New Yawk wawtah!"
It is though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2018, 12:13 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,952,870 times
I found a really good german place with a beer garden in Franklin Square

https://www.parkrestaurant.com/

Its a big beer garden too.

Old 03-24-2018, 11:30 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,520,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantedFloridian View Post
It is though.
Bagels and pizza are about technique and ingredients, not water. When I lived in New Orleans the best pizza you could get was Dominos, Papa Johns, etc. until this dude from Brooklyn moved down there and opened a NY style pizza place complete with the proper ovens (need very high temperatures for good crust) and ingredients (dough starter, decent mozzarella, and sauce that doesn’t come from a jar). It was as good as anything you could get around here, until the local unions started breaking his balls over having ingredients shipped in without them wetting their beaks.

Old 04-03-2018, 05:05 PM

401 posts, read 552,268 times
Well one of my favorite towns in Long Island with very good restaurants at reasonable prices is by far Hicksville. Ton of variety and cultural food. Some of the restaurants have an asian twist to it too. I forgot the pizza place but it had like chicken masala pizza (indian style) and it was great. Only downside is the traffic you may hit to get to the restaurants (probably the only area in Nassau that I feel I'm in the busy streets of Queens not LI).

Old 04-04-2018, 03:39 PM

204 posts, read 297,108 times
Look for places in the New American category.

Old 04-07-2018, 10:19 AM

1,481 posts, read 2,225,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Bagels and pizza are about technique and ingredients, not water. When I lived in New Orleans the best pizza you could get was Dominos, Papa Johns, etc. until this dude from Brooklyn moved down there and opened a NY style pizza place complete with the proper ovens (need very high temperatures for good crust) and ingredients (dough starter, decent mozzarella, and sauce that doesn’t come from a jar). It was as good as anything you could get around here, until the local unions started breaking his balls over having ingredients shipped in without them wetting their beaks.
Keep telling yourself that.

Old 04-07-2018, 11:12 AM

22,670 posts, read 36,804,509 times
There's a guy who posts on the Raleigh forum, originally from Queens and then lived on LI - my favorite story he tells is that when people come to visit him from NY, he goes to Brueggers and buys bagels and then puts them in a plain brown bag, brings them home and his guests say "wow you actually can get a pretty good bagel here!".

Old 04-08-2018, 06:03 PM

4 posts, read 2,626 times
checking out this new place called Smoothie King in carle place this week

Old 04-08-2018, 09:34 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,963,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxmiller1 View Post
checking out this new place called Smoothie King in carle place this week
Shameless plug from the owner

Old 07-07-2019, 09:20 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,876,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
On Long Island italian, chinese, sushi, greek owned diners, casual sit down chains like applebees, fast food joints, and over priced seafood, and steak joints are basically what is available to any one who drives through.

I want to try something off the beaten path. Well, there are a few indian places, and kebab I think, but I have tried all that too.

What is good restaurant on Long Island that isnt in one of those common styles? Are there any good german beer gardens? What about scandinavian food? Any eastern Euro? Spain? No latin please, I have tried all that.

For kosher/halal, I highly recommend The Beach Bakery Grand Cafe in Westhampton Beach. Long Island's Newsday had a great article about it in today's edition, which I posted about over on the Judaism forum. Here is the link to my posting: Jewish-Muslim relations on Long Island
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island