Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 11:40 AM

16 posts, read 69,388 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Problem 1

I hate the neighbors next door, they are renters so obviously they don't take care of the place like I take care of mine. It's a high ranch with a small ILLEGAL rental on the bottom. Ok here's my problem, the mom goes away every weekend with the boyfriend, so the 14 year old teenager has her friends over, they are VERY loud up until 2am, There is underage drinking going on, I know because I see them on the porch, when I come out, they run in. The music is loud and it's annoying. Needless to say my children have a hard time sleeping because of this.

Problem,

The illegal appartment in the basement is rented to a man who is very dirty, he blasts his music all the time. I don't like that we as homeowners paying VERY HIGH taxes have to put up with that, while the owner of the house (who doesn't live there) collects rent on an illegal apartment.

What is the law about underage partying/drinking? Who can I call about the illegal apartment?

Please help, I'm to the point of desperation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2008, 11:51 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,155,991 times
1) Call the police for a noise complaint when the underage drinkers are partying.
2) Call the town code enforcement if your sure its an illegal apartment.

Old 03-21-2008, 11:53 AM

Thank you Rocafeller!

I guess I'll be calling the police tonight!

Also, I tried to look up the number on the west islip website but couldn't find it, any sugestions?

Thank you!

Old 03-21-2008, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
1) Call the police for a noise complaint when the underage drinkers are partying.
2) Call the town code enforcement if your sure its an illegal apartment.
Thank you Rocafeller!

I guess I'll be calling the police tonight!

Also, I tried to look up the number on the west islip website but couldn't find it, any sugestions?

Thank you!

Old 03-21-2008, 12:31 PM

3,180 posts, read 10,540,895 times
Try code enforcement @ 631-224-5547....good luck!

Old 03-21-2008, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
Try code enforcement @ 631-224-5547....good luck!
Thank you KBinspections!!!

Old 03-21-2008, 03:15 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,069,117 times
Sorry you have trouble with neighbors but not all 'renters' are scum (I am not saying you are implying this but I get tired of how renters are dumped on in general).

There are plenty of BAD 'home owners.'

Are both these apartments rented or is one of the people the landlord?

By the way, there wouldn't be illegal apartments if the Town of Islip actually cared about people who need affordable (but not welfare) housing.

Old 03-22-2008, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Sorry you have trouble with neighbors but not all 'renters' are scum (I am not saying you are implying this but I get tired of how renters are dumped on in general).

There are plenty of BAD 'home owners.'

Are both these apartments rented or is one of the people the landlord?

By the way, there wouldn't be illegal apartments if the Town of Islip actually cared about people who need affordable (but not welfare) housing.
Ok, I agree not all renters are scum but they DO NOT take care of thier living area like owners would. No the owner does not live in the house, the house is not in good shape as it is. I was a renter myself before I became a homeowner BUT I always took pride and respected my neigbors, kept the outside clean.

I DO NOT want to live around people who need "affordable" housing. They would only ruin the area. Why should my kids go to the same school as kids who live in "affordable" housing? Who do you think will pick up the tab for that? That's right, me the homeowner already paying high taxes, NO THANKS.

You want affordable housing? Go live somewhere else.....

PS I'M TIRED OF THIS COUNTRY REWARDING PEOPLE FOR BEING "LOW INCOME" GIVE ME A BREAK!!!

Old 03-22-2008, 12:16 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,758,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOVEAWAYFAST!!! View Post
I DO NOT want to live around people who need "affordable" housing. They would only ruin the area. Why should my kids go to the same school as kids who live in "affordable" housing? Who do you think will pick up the tab for that? That's right, me the homeowner already paying high taxes, NO THANKS.

You want affordable housing? Go live somewhere else.....

PS I'M TIRED OF THIS COUNTRY REWARDING PEOPLE FOR BEING "LOW INCOME" GIVE ME A BREAK!!!
Perhaps when your kids are a little older, say 20-something, and trying to start out, they will need "affordable housing" and you will not be so judgemental.

Old 03-22-2008, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
Perhaps when your kids are a little older, say 20-something, and trying to start out, they will need "affordable housing" and you will not be so judgemental.
No, I don't think so

They will be VERY well off,,,,,,,why because as a parent I worked hard enough to make it easier for them.

So no, my children will NEVER need affordable housing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island