Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 07:48 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,255,729 times

Advertisements

I'm currently really angry and upset about the horrible driving I see on a daily basis. On my way to work this morning I was traveling on a road that is one lane in both directions. I was going 45 mph when the speed limit is 35. Not only that but there were cars in front of me so I couldn't go any faster even if I wanted to. Obviously that wasn't fast enough for the person behind me who goes into the ONCOMING TRAFFIC lane just to get in front of me. I'm sure he would have continued in the oncoming traffic lane if there wasn't a car coming in that lane. Then he drives all the way up the person's butt, probably literally 5 inches away from them until we get to the traffic light... which is red by the way, which we are all stopped at.

That's what kills me... all of that risk just to get to the same place as me. What was he trying to do? Where does he need to be so desperately that he needs to drive into oncoming traffic just to get ahead by one car?

This is just an example but I see things like this on a daily basis. I guess I don't have a question, i just needed to vent. I just lost someone close to me in a car accident a few months ago. these things are 100% preventable if people just SLOWED DOWN and didn't do these crazy things.

My only question would be do you guys ever say anything to these people? do you ever pull up next to them and say "WHAT THE F ARE YOU DOING?!"

I know there is not much I can do about this, it just upsets me. They are going to kill someone driving like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2018, 08:05 AM

20,062 posts, read 20,877,739 times
You and me both.
One day you'll read about me on the news when I finally snap and drag somebody out of their car and beat the crap out of them. And it will be worth every day of the jail time.

Old 03-01-2018, 08:11 AM

155 posts, read 174,537 times
I love when the idiot who does that winds up getting stuck at the same light as me!!!! Losers.

Old 03-01-2018, 08:35 AM

13,057 posts, read 18,133,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
I'm currently really angry and upset about the horrible driving I see on a daily basis. On my way to work this morning I was traveling on a road that is one lane in both directions. I was going 45 mph when the speed limit is 35. Not only that but there were cars in front of me so I couldn't go any faster even if I wanted to. Obviously that wasn't fast enough for the person behind me who goes into the ONCOMING TRAFFIC lane just to get in front of me. I'm sure he would have continued in the oncoming traffic lane if there wasn't a car coming in that lane. Then he drives all the way up the person's butt, probably literally 5 inches away from them until we get to the traffic light... which is red by the way, which we are all stopped at.

That's what kills me... all of that risk just to get to the same place as me. What was he trying to do? Where does he need to be so desperately that he needs to drive into oncoming traffic just to get ahead by one car?

This is just an example but I see things like this on a daily basis. I guess I don't have a question, i just needed to vent. I just lost someone close to me in a car accident a few months ago. these things are 100% preventable if people just SLOWED DOWN and didn't do these crazy things.

My only question would be do you guys ever say anything to these people? do you ever pull up next to them and say "WHAT THE F ARE YOU DOING?!"

I know there is not much I can do about this, it just upsets me. They are going to kill someone driving like that.
Absolutely not. This world if so full of "not so tightly wound people" they may shoot you or ram your car and in the end what have you accomplished? If you are lucky you may only have to pay for a damaged car. I might scream and vent, but would never do a thing.

Old 03-01-2018, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
You and me both.
One day you'll read about me on the news when I finally snap and drag somebody out of their car and beat the crap out of them. And it will be worth every day of the jail time.
agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vote4Summer View Post
I love when the idiot who does that winds up getting stuck at the same light as me!!!! Losers.
do they even realize that though? like i wonder if they think to themselves - gee that was stupid i didn't get anywhere. they probably don't even notice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Absolutely not. This world if so full of "not so tightly wound people" they may shoot you or ram your car and in the end what have you accomplished? If you are lucky you may only have to pay for a damaged car. I might scream and vent, but would never do a thing.
yeah i know i agree. ugh. i wish i could do something.

Old 03-01-2018, 08:49 AM

430 posts, read 557,975 times
The traffic problem is actually a combination of the people you describe along with the brain dead who don't pay attention or observe basic courtesies. I'm thinking the type that sit staring at their phones at a green light or refuse to make a legal right on red (because there is a camera there that will not issue a ticket for that). And let us not forget the worst of all... The people doing 50 mph in the left lane of the highway causing a mile long backup.

Old 03-01-2018, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagaroth View Post
The traffic problem is actually a combination of the people you describe along with the brain dead who don't pay attention or observe basic courtesies. I'm thinking the type that sit staring at their phones at a green light or refuse to make a legal right on red (because there is a camera there that will not issue a ticket for that). And let us not forget the worst of all... The people doing 50 mph in the left lane of the highway causing a mile long backup.
I understand it goes both ways. but at least with the slow people, the accidents won't be fatal. the people who are nuts going crazy, there's a higher likelihood of someone dying compared to just a fender bender.

Old 03-01-2018, 09:45 AM

194 posts, read 168,399 times
I'm guilty of being impatient behind very slow drivers, but then I feel guilty about getting mad later on. I don't do anything to them like fly up their ass or anything, I just mutter to myself in frustration

Old 03-01-2018, 09:47 AM

5,058 posts, read 3,960,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagaroth View Post

Let me add to that the dingbats in Huntington who still believe (despite the signs and near accidents they cause) that cars in the traffic circle must yield to cars entering the circle. Once in a while a foolish driver will actually stop in the circle to wrongly yield right-of-way to a car entering - - thus inviting a rear-end collision of their own.

Old 03-01-2018, 10:22 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,892,286 times
As a spirited driver (who won't go so far as to drive into oncoming lanes), the reason I go as fast as I deem safe is exactly that - I feel it is still safe to do so. /flamesuit You may be comfortable with 40 in a 30, I may be at 45, no big deal. If you're doing 45 in a 30, I would not blame you at all for being pissed at someone trying to do 50 and hugging your ass. That's just them being an ass.

As for feeling like an idiot stuck at the same light down the road, absolutely that sucks, but that doesn't happen every time, and you may have very well caused that delay by being in the way in the first place. So it still makes sense to go as fast as I feel is fine. It is only a waste of gas if you jackrabbit start from light to light which I see non-speeders doing all the time.

As for leaving earlier to get somewhere, that's not the point. I think the real point is to not fall asleep going at the same pace for 5 miles straight. Driving is not just a point A to point B thing for a lot of people.

Having said all that, I do like to watch car crash videos on YT. It keeps me grounded enough not to take safety for granted because while you can control everything you do, you can't control the REAL idiots who jump out at you randomly.

Lastly, we've been driving out of the area a lot more the last few years and it's very clear that tri-state area drivers are a lot less courteous. As in, they won't let you in/out and there are a lot more tailgaters here. Personality of NY thing IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: