Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2018, 05:54 PM

3 posts, read 6,859 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm in the Town of Huntington. I want to finish my basement. What does the permit process look like? Do you first obtain the permit, then the town sends somebody to come inspect electrical and plumbing when ready to give final approval?

My basement doesn't have any bathroom, and has two exits.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2018, 06:52 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
Do you know what BOHICA stands for?

Old 03-31-2018, 08:29 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
In general in any town, to obtain the permit you need to submit the plans of the potential new basement along with the application and fee for the permit. Yo will either be approved or rejected and they will tell you why, if rejected and you will need to correct the deficiencies in the plan and send them back. Once you get your approval, and your contractor starts, there will be certain points that he can no longer move forward until the inspector comes and reviews the work completed til that point. Enter the plumbing and electrical inspectors. This will vary from several weeks or a just a few days. Once each inspector approves, the contractor can move forward and complete the job. The town will then send an inspector again to review all and if all is ok, you will get a Certificate of Completion from the town.

Old 04-01-2018, 06:21 AM

397 posts, read 515,237 times
Start with a stamped drawing from an architect... My archy hit me for $1250 for the last basement she drew up...
You need a recent survey of the property, plus the one page application for building permit. Then a six week wait while the town reviews and approves.

Inspections are reasonably fast in Huntington, usually just two or three day wait. We call a few days before we're actually ready for them to get on the schedule which keeps things moving along nicely. You'll need a framing inspection, and then insulation inspection before the walls are sheetrocked. After that, building just wants a final inspection when the basement is complete.

Your electrician will call in a rough inspection while the walls are still open, but thats using an independent inspector. The town doesnt do electric.

The plumber will have to apply for his own permit which usually takes a day, and get his rough inspection while the walls are open.

Both electric and plumbing will require a final inspection when the project is completed.

There are a few requirements for Huntington. They want two forms of egress, and there has to be a certain percentage of window space for natural light and ventilation. They also want fire stops behind the framing every 10'.

They're still behind the times on plumbing... Cast iron in the ground instead of pvc and old school liners instead of newer membrane systems in showers.

Old 04-01-2018, 08:03 AM

267 posts, read 598,508 times
Id finish it without a permit if it were me. Why get the town involved to make your life miserable. You can even add it on your homeowners if there is no kitchen/cooking going on down there.

Old 04-01-2018, 08:17 AM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadAndyHolbrook View Post
Id finish it without a permit if it were me. Why get the town involved to make your life miserable. You can even add it on your homeowners if there is no kitchen/cooking going on down there.
Yeah. Screw government intrusion.
It's my property and I'll do what I damn well please.
Time for the people to make a stand.

Old 04-01-2018, 09:22 AM

3 posts, read 6,859 times
Yeah I can't afford to get a contractor to do it, cheapest bid was $20k! It's a 20' x 15' space, no kitchen, no bath.

How would homeowner's insurance cover it if it doesn't get permitted by whatever "jurisdiction" it's in?

I can do the electrical and plumbing for heating myself, I would just want to get a licensed electrician / plumber to verify it to make sure it looks ok, not sure if anyone will do that.

Old 04-01-2018, 09:44 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,325,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebby7030 View Post
Yeah I can't afford to get a contractor to do it, cheapest bid was $20k! It's a 20' x 15' space, no kitchen, no bath.

How would homeowner's insurance cover it if it doesn't get permitted by whatever "jurisdiction" it's in?

I can do the electrical and plumbing for heating myself, I would just want to get a licensed electrician / plumber to verify it to make sure it looks ok, not sure if anyone will do that.
My finished basement is covered. I called my insurance co when I put in new carpet to find out if I had a flood would the carpet be covered. The answer was yes. I have baseboard heat in mine,in 3 years I have turned it on maybe 2-3x. Once you insulate the walls and Sheetrock, the basement will be way warmer.

Just tap off an outlet or existing light in the basement for the new outlets and lighting. These new leds draw almost nothing your not going to have capacity issues with some high hats and tv. I'm a diy guy, I would hire for the heat since I would want the basement on its own zone and I wouldn't want to install a new valve myself.

Old 04-01-2018, 12:50 PM

267 posts, read 598,508 times
We had Allure do ours with the Owens Corning system. I painted the walls and floor with dry-lock. The job included a humidex de-humidifer. I had 4 sections of baseboard which was doubled up to complete the loop and it came out great. Hardly use the heat unless its super cold. Had them build a small room to inclose the gas boiler. We leave that louvered door open and the heat from the boiler heats the space. Big priority CARBON MONOXIDE detector, as well as fire detector . One last thing basement took 3 days start to finish. Screw the town lol.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island