Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 09:58 AM

38 posts, read 82,482 times

Advertisements

Could someone please recommend a pest control company? Not termite, just pests ants, mosquito etc. I have seen TruGreen signs popping up on some neighbors lawn but their online review doesn't seem too solid. Any reputable company ? We are located in east Nassau. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2018, 01:57 PM

73 posts, read 92,716 times
I live in Western Nassau and use Magic Exterminating (more for prevention & cave crickets). They have been good and have no bugs. https://www.magicexterminating.com/

I did spray my yard with these Garlic Exterminators (https://mosquitomanny.wordpress.com/) as the Mosquitos in my yard were unbearable. I have only had it sprayed once this spring so far, but came recommended from others in Garden City area.

Old 04-24-2018, 07:39 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,644,273 times
Sometimes a can of Raid will do the trick without having to spend mucho dinero. Otherwise if you have a serious infestation, Terminix is very reliable. I tried Suburban a couple of years ago for rodents, and their technicians are inconsistent as far as expertise goes.

Old 04-24-2018, 08:55 PM

38 posts, read 82,482 times
Thank you LizWright, AndreaII for the recommendation. I'll give them a call and get some quotes. Our primarily issues are ants & mosquito, especially ants -- we tried numerous products but none seemed effective.

Old 01-05-2019, 05:16 AM

4 posts, read 2,605 times
One of my friend is looking for the same.

Old 01-05-2019, 07:19 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,252,791 times
If you want to try yourself again but with commercial products (not the stuff you get at Home Depot) try these guys - I’ve used them before with success.

https://www.doyourownpestcontrol.com

Old 01-05-2019, 08:07 AM

412 posts, read 289,656 times
Easy to do yourself, especially if ants and mosquitos.

You don't want the chemicals that these companies will use in your home or yard...worse that than the "pests" you're trying to control.

For mosquitos, start by simply eliminating standing water. Those commercial spray companies are a gimmick...Google pyrethroid based pesticides... carcinogens and endocrine system disruptors...really bad if you have small kids. Yet these sleazy companies show pictures of smiling kids playing in their yards. Meanwhile, what, 5 people get West Nile a year our of over 1 million people in Suffolk. I'll use natural remedies and natural sprays on myself and my children, and if for some reason it's still bad, we'd come inside...but we haven't had to.

For ants I've had good luck with Terro fluid/gel. You can make your own with water, sugar, and borax, I believe.

Old 01-05-2019, 09:14 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,252,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isles08 View Post
Easy to do yourself, especially if ants and mosquitos.

You don't want the chemicals that these companies will use in your home or yard...worse that than the "pests" you're trying to control.

For mosquitos, start by simply eliminating standing water. Those commercial spray companies are a gimmick...Google pyrethroid based pesticides... carcinogens and endocrine system disruptors...really bad if you have small kids. Yet these sleazy companies show pictures of smiling kids playing in their yards. Meanwhile, what, 5 people get West Nile a year our of over 1 million people in Suffolk. I'll use natural remedies and natural sprays on myself and my children, and if for some reason it's still bad, we'd come inside...but we haven't had to.

For ants I've had good luck with Terro fluid/gel. You can make your own with water, sugar, and borax, I believe.
Big difference between a total yard spray and a barrier treatment for ants and other bugs entering your home. Never had an issue with barrier sprays after they dried.

Aside from eliminating standing water I agree there’s not much else you can do with mosquitos.

Old 01-05-2019, 09:15 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,050,518 times
I second the DIY approach. A few months ago I had swaming ants coming down from the unfinished attic but didn't call anyone right away because a lot of exterior renovation was due to start the following week and I figured anything a pest control company did would be messed up by the ongoing construction and thus money wasted. After the work was done I called one company who told me that they no longer do any pest control in unfinished (floor-less) attics because of liability concerns.

Another recommended company was perfectly willing to come in and treat... IF I were to sign up for a $700/year (introductory price) contract which would cover "everything." When I said I didn't want all the bells and whistles, I just wanted a specific situation addressed, they said that to do things a la carte (without a contract) would cost the same or more as the contract. I didn't like the feeling of being backed into a corner as to my options so didn't take the conversation further.

I buy Catchmaster glue boards for crickets in the basement and garage (try as I might, I cannot find anywhere they can possibly be coming in, but they do!!) on Amazon as a box of 60 boards for $21. Local brick and mortar stores sell the packets of 4 for $2.99 and so it's 50% cheaper to buy them online, LOL. Recently I did some research and ordered the MaxForce Quantum gel bait online, and will try that this spring in various areas inside the house as well as some exterior Terro baits on the perimeter.

We always used to have a termite bait system in our previous three houses but with one thing and another I never got around to putting one in here. Partly due to the cost but also because due to patios and walkways surrounding almost the entire house, the stations would end up being anywhere from 7 to 10 feet away from the foundation -- which seems like a waste of money at that distance.

Agree too on the mosquitoes. I am their favorite food and even if the sprays did work (of which I am HIGHLY skeptical) it probably wouldn't make a bit of difference anyhow. Especially if neighbors a stone's throw away don't take any preventive measures and have standing water (gutters, bird baths, bad grading, etc) anywhere.

Old 01-05-2019, 12:03 PM

54 posts, read 79,052 times
I recommend Arrow exterminators in lynbrook
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island