Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2018, 05:10 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,107,554 times

Advertisements

https://projects.newsday.com/databas...-levels-homes/

What's the deal with this? I thought this was a non issue. None of us have had our homes checked for radon when getting inspected. Is this telling us otherwise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2018, 07:35 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,237,198 times
If you are using a finished basement in Huntington or Glen Cove it seems like a good idea to test.

Old 09-19-2018, 08:01 PM

2,771 posts, read 4,529,450 times
Years ago I was looking in the Poconos PA for a vacation home. First house I went to had an exhaust fan on the side of the house. I asked the R.E. Agent what it was. He said “The fan goes on when there are high levels of radon”. “Nothing to worry about. (Yeah sure!)
Just what I want to hear going on as I’m watching TV.

Well, I researched Radon when I got home. PA has VERY high levels of radon. Radon is one of the main causes of lung cancer. No wonder you hear people say “But they never smoked a day in their life”. Yeah...well, did they live in areas with high levels of radon? I asked the locals, they had NO CLUE what I was talking about.

Anyway, L.I. has very little to no radon. Due to sand deep in the soil. I believe our is .05%
4% and lower is acceptable. PA had 7%+++

Old 09-19-2018, 10:32 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,146,683 times
I'd worry about Radon when the banks ask for testing before giving a mortgage on properties (as they do now only for termites and other wood destroying insects).

Old 09-20-2018, 04:52 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,237,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
Years ago I was looking in the Poconos PA for a vacation home. First house I went to had an exhaust fan on the side of the house. I asked the R.E. Agent what it was. He said “The fan goes on when there are high levels of radon”. “Nothing to worry about. (Yeah sure!)
Just what I want to hear going on as I’m watching TV.

Well, I researched Radon when I got home. PA has VERY high levels of radon. Radon is one of the main causes of lung cancer. No wonder you hear people say “But they never smoked a day in their life”. Yeah...well, did they live in areas with high levels of radon? I asked the locals, they had NO CLUE what I was talking about.

Anyway, L.I. has very little to no radon. Due to sand deep in the soil. I believe our is .05%
4% and lower is acceptable. PA had 7%+++
Read the article - you can’t generalize about location either, it can differ lot to lot. The fact that one home in Huntington had over 20 in their basement is notable. The north shore is rockier.

Two other points

1) there is no acceptable level of radon. 4 is the EPA recommended level for remediation. It’s all about risk vs cost

2) a lot of the risk numbers assume living in that area. If radon in the basement is 7 but upstairs is 2, this is really only a problem if you live in the basement. But if you have a level of 20 in the basement then it’s likely to still be high on the main floor.

Old 09-20-2018, 05:35 AM

731 posts, read 724,540 times
Open a window.

Old 09-20-2018, 05:55 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,529,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Read the article - you can’t generalize about location either, it can differ lot to lot. The fact that one home in Huntington had over 20 in their basement is notable. The north shore is rockier.

Two other points

1) there is no acceptable level of radon. 4 is the EPA recommended level for remediation. It’s all about risk vs cost

2) a lot of the risk numbers assume living in that area. If radon in the basement is 7 but upstairs is 2, this is really only a problem if you live in the basement. But if you have a level of 20 in the basement then it’s likely to still be high on the main floor.

“you can’t generalize about location either, it can differ lot to lot.”
So true! Because I’ve asked “Then why doesn’t the rest of the neighbors have them”

I’m talking overall averages, Pa VS. L.I.

Click on State, then county level icon.

https://www.radon.com/maps/

Last edited by Spanky25; 09-20-2018 at 06:03 AM..

Old 09-20-2018, 04:50 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,047,285 times
Those sample sizes are really small too. Only 62 homes tested in the township (not village) of Smithtown? The Town of Smithtown includes not only Smithtown but Head of the Harbor, Nissequogue, Village of the Branch, Kings Park, part of Fort Salonga, St. James, Nesconset, part of Hauppauge, part of Commack, and part of Lake Ronkonokoma.

I'd like to know where those 62 "Town of Smithtown" basement test houses were. In the northern part of the the Town of Smithtown (north of Jericho Tpke and/or 25A) I'd expect some readings to be a bit higher than the parts of Smithtown that are close to Vets Highway, for example, where you have flat terrain instead of hilly/rocky like North Smithtown, KP, H of H, and Nissequogue.

Old 09-23-2018, 06:10 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,642,838 times
Radon is high in Rhode Island as well.

Old 09-24-2018, 07:58 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,047,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaII View Post
Radon is high in Rhode Island as well.
Yes, radon there is just like coastal Connecticut (high) because they have the same geology. There's a part of RI near Fall River that's low, like LI is.

Massachusetts is similar, with most of the state being high or moderate in radon but the Boston area is low.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island