Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 09:03 AM

215 posts, read 248,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
Alarmrelay.com does central station monitoring for ~$10/mo. and they took over our Honeywell system that was pro-installed. Call ahead for compatibility (and plans). They are based in CA but haven't had an issue with that.
I tried to rep your comment but apparently I need to 'spread it around'... Thanks, I'll check them out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2018, 12:40 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,420,556 times
Quote:
Alarmrelay.com does central station monitoring for ~$10/mo. and they took over our Honeywell system that was pro-installed. Call ahead for compatibility (and plans). They are based in CA but haven't had an issue with that.
same here. I have had no issues with them either. They took over our other system as well that was pro-installed as well. Have had them 2 year now.

Old 10-05-2018, 03:08 PM

215 posts, read 248,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
same here. I have had no issues with them either. They took over our other system as well that was pro-installed as well. Have had them 2 year now.
Tried reppin' you as well, but same deal... Thanks.

We have a pre-existing system too. Probably not 'top-of-the-line' but sufficient - maybe add a camera or 2.

After hearing not so great things about ADT, we didn't want to get locked into one of their contracts...

A lot of people I know recommend SimpliSafe as an alternative, but it seemed like a waste to not use the (seemingly) decent pre-existing system.

Old 10-06-2018, 12:35 AM

198 posts, read 530,236 times
Go Abode is what I have and I like it. It has geofencing so I don't have to think about arming and disarming the system when I leave the house. It's all automatic.
Like Simplisafe, you pay for a 24 hr monitoring system and they will call you or the police when the alarm is triggered.

Old 11-19-2018, 11:23 AM

4,595 posts, read 6,424,950 times
I really love Simplisafe. So easy to install.

Old 11-20-2018, 08:04 AM

5,518 posts, read 7,107,963 times
I want a camera that will capture the person who drops their dog's crap bags into my garbage pails.

Old 11-20-2018, 08:17 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,245,044 times
I’ve used Abode for around 8 months and now use Ring. I have also used other systems in the past but will no longer use a “traditional” company.

Costco had a great deal on for a starter Ring Security package - still might. The price for add-on sensors and controls is reasonable.

Ring charges $10 a month for monitored security with cellular backup. Don’t know of any plans that are less.

It’s fairly no frills at the moment, but I suspect they will add more in. Amazon owns them so there is a corporation standing behind it.

What I like is the app, the control panels are easy to use (and can be charged and used wirelessly), you can use multiple panels and you can have several different chime tones set up with the sensors.

The sensors are a bit bigger than I’d like but the battery life is great and the batteries are replaceable.

Old 11-20-2018, 08:41 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,245,044 times
Quote:
Note that price is for land line basic monitoring only (you can use a few VoIP providers). No app access, no cellular backup. You get those with the cellular upgrade which is around $20 a month. Still competitive.

Old 11-20-2018, 08:52 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,048,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
I want a camera that will capture the person who drops their dog's crap bags into my garbage pails.
Boy do I hear ya; we had the same problem in our previous neighborhood (which was, btw, very nice/upscale/etc) for almost all time we lived there which was more than a decade. Drove me nuts, especially since of course they had to make the effort to lift the lid (64 gal Toter) instead of just tossing it into an open can.

At one point I even tried putting a sign onto the lid ("Please do not put dog-waste bags into this garbage can, Thank you") but to no effect. Never did find out who was doing it or whether it was more than one person.

Last edited by BBCjunkie; 11-20-2018 at 09:04 AM..

Old 11-20-2018, 09:01 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,048,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdale View Post
Why is that a problem? They're in bags. And they're at the curb which means it's filled with garbage and will be emptied before you take them back to your house. Would you rather they have their dog poop on your lawn?
In our case we were at work during the day and sometimes the poop bags were tossed into the post-pickup trash can before we got home to take the empty can away. Garbage collection was usually between 10 a.m. and noon-ish most times. We didn't get home untiil 5 or 6 pm at least.

And the poop bags stink up those Toter cans unbelieveably, especially during the summer months when those black lidded cans heat up all afternoon in the sun. We had a 2.5 car garage and so we liked to keep the garbage cans inside when not actually at the curb -- very convenient during the winter, not having to go outside to put kitchen garbage bags into it during bitter cold or snowy weather. It's not fun to lift the lid of a poop-permeated can and get a whiff of that stuff. Ugh.

But the underlying reason is that it's inconsiderate, rude, and there's no reason for it to happen. It's their dog, their dog's poop, and there's ZERO reason why they can't carry their dog's poop bag back to their own trash can and dispose of it there. The bag weighs what, a few ounces? If they're physically able to walk the dog, then they're fully able to carry a small plastic bag for X number of blocks without expiring under the strain.

If people have dogs, then it's their responsibility to not inflict the results of their ownership on other people. That includes both noise and poop, either directly or indirectly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island