Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2018, 07:12 PM

124 posts, read 108,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR543 View Post
South Carolina...we have a 3000 sq foot house we had built in 2012. The property taxes are a little over $900 a year. I'm having serious second thoughts about the move, no matter how great the job and salary seem.
Don't do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2018, 08:59 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,766,425 times
Quote:
South Carolina...we have a 3000 sq foot house we had built in 2012. The property taxes are a little over $900 a year. I'm having serious second thoughts about this move.
If you are happy in S.C. don’t do it. LI will be a massive expensive culture shock for you.

Old 12-31-2018, 09:15 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,795,742 times
Quote:
South Carolina...we have a 3000 sq foot house we had built in 2012. The property taxes are a little over $900 a year. I'm having serious second thoughts about this move.
Tapped out LI'ers are bailing from this place and chasing what you have already. All this agita isn't worth a bit of extra money. Don't do it!

Old 12-31-2018, 09:59 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
Quote:
I would do some more research - chances are you were attracted by the top line, making a bigger salary.

But look at the difference in cost of living as part of the overall picture.

There is a lot of “good”, but a lot of “different” as well. Very subjective. Nobody on this forum can give you guidance on the “different”.

If moving to LI I would rent for at least a year or two first.

Old 01-01-2019, 08:48 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Must be some job offer if you're willing to pay $15K more just in property taxes per year.

Old 01-01-2019, 09:49 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,795,742 times
Most people who move to LI come from the city because they need more room. The rest are longtime residents with jobs, family and friends on LI, so they're kind of grandfathered in.

Few people move to LI from cheaper states because it's like stepping into a financial hazard zone. OP, you'd be offering yourself as a human sacrifice to the county. LI will financially drain you right and left.

I'm frankly surprised there are tract houses in Suffolk with $16K taxes. I thought people get a tax break east of Nassau.

Old 01-01-2019, 10:33 AM

124 posts, read 108,815 times
Quote:
There has been for the past few years a mini-exodus from NY to the Carolinas and in my honest opinion, that is only going to increase once folks do their tax returns and realize how much Bubba Trump shafted his fellow New Yawkers.

You will be in for the shock of your life. Your property taxes on a 3000 sq foot house would be upwards of 15K, and that would be a house more than 60 years old. Those taxes are necessitated by the bloated civil servant salaries and benefit packages. What that means is that infrastructure suffers and school programs get cut just to sustain the government benefits. Not to mention unrealistic property tax increases.

Also - everything else costs boatloads more than what you're accustomed to. The sense of community is far inferior to anything you're accustomed to as well.

Unless you're getting a HIGH 5 or a 6 digit salary increase - the move will never ever make sense. And most of the tax benefits of home-ownership on LI that we all grew accustomed to are going bye bye TODAY. Those benefits are the difference between affording and not affording LI for a great many people (and for those that don't know or deny it, they're about to find out come April 15). It's a whole new world here on LI. You'll be alone on your move here while planeloads of people will be passing you in the other direction....

Old 01-01-2019, 10:37 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,046,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
I'm frankly surprised there are tract houses in Suffolk with $16K taxes. I thought people get a tax break east of Nassau.
That ship sailed a long time ago. 1970s probably, lol.

The only real property tax bargain in western Suffolk anymore, when talking about a decent school district in a "demographically desirable" (interpret that however you will) area are houses that are in the Town of Smithtown + Hauppauge School District. The office parks in the Hauppauge School District take up a big chunk of the tax burden.

Many sections are tract/development houses but others, such as The Pines (which is minimum 1/2 acre zoned, btw), are not.

However, when shopping the Hauppauge School District as a whole (meaning houses with an address of Smithtown or Hauppauge) one needs to watch out for groundwater problems in the area near Hidden Pond Park. There's a very nice section just south of Vets Highway and just west of Terry Road (Canterbury Drive is one of the streets) that is riddled with underground springs and pools, resulting in some of the dampest basements (and water-filled cesspools) I've ever seen.

Also, some parts of the Hauppauge School District fall into the Town of Islip rather than Town of Smithtown. So you can have a house with a Hauppauge street address + Hauppauge School District + Town of Smithtown, and not far away you'll see one with a Hauppauge street address + Hauppauge School District + Town of Islip (although those are the farthest south, wrapping the LIE and bordering Brentwood.)

Seven years ago I looked at houses in Wading River, near the East Wind catering place, out of curiosity about "east end-ish" taxes and prices. It was tract housing on 1 acre lots and the taxes then were barely nudging $10K and some were in the high $7000s-low $8000s. I just checked MLSLI and you can't touch any of those same neighborhoods now for less than $13K-$19K.

Last edited by BBCjunkie; 01-01-2019 at 10:54 AM..

Old 01-01-2019, 10:47 AM

1,660 posts, read 1,208,902 times
Stay out of LI, unless you are an undocumented immigrant and can bring your extended family to help split the housing cost

Old 01-01-2019, 12:40 PM

2,771 posts, read 4,528,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtBikeRider View Post
Holy Cow $16,000 a year !

Today is new years so if you make $32 and hour you would need to work 500 hours to pay that bill or 12.5 weeks. No its worse then that cause they take all that money from your check so you don't get the 32 an hour. How much do you have to make to keep 32 dollars ?

Buying a house on long island is like voluntarily signing up to be a serf in the middle ages.

"Serfs in the middle ages were generally peasants who provided manual labor in their master’s land. The peasants would pay the lord some dues (in the form of labor) in exchange for using part of the lord’s land"

LOL
Quote:
To sum things up. These are “estimates “:

-You will go from a 3,000 SF home to a 1,500 SF +/- (Avg home in W. Islip) Assuming the house is W. Islip is the same price as the home you are selling in SC. Unless you plan on having a larger mortgage.

-Your property taxes are OVER 15k MORE than what you are paying now. You’re new job needs to pay you AT LEAST 20k MORE to take home 15k to pay just the extra in property taxes.

-You’re utilities, car insurance, food, gas, repairs, maintenance, ect.... will be much more than SC. Another $500-$1000 +/- more per month needed.

So, is your NEW job paying you 40k+++++ more than what you are making now? That’s about 30k take home. 15k of it is going just for property taxes.

Hate to rain on the parade. Again, these are “estimates “ but I think I’m pretty close to the numbers +/-
I didn’t even mention healthcare & retirement contributions.

Good Luck! Keep us posted!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island