Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2019, 08:12 AM

2,605 posts, read 3,403,359 times

Advertisements

https://abc7ny.com/li-gas-station-wo...t-pay/5075999/

This sad story really got me frustrated. First off condolences to this man's family and loved ones. He tragically died trying to do the right thing. Unfortunately for him it got him killed. All for a measly $22. It baffles me why someone would put their lives on the line for such an inconsequential amount of money. It wasn't even his money, it was the gas station's money.

I hope they find the worthless animal that ran him over and put him in jail for life. But what he did was foolish and reckless. No ones life is worth any sort of money. What gets me frustrated is that not one news outlet is mentioning how foolish of an act this was. Why put your life on the line for the register? We need more outlets telling people NOT to go after criminals. Call the police! That's it. Don't take it upon yourself to be a hero.

I'm not telling people to be cowards but people need to use common sense. There are times when you doing the right thing is commendable and then there are times when it's foolish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2019, 12:13 PM

69 posts, read 126,222 times
Terrible story. He was a nice man, saw him all the time at the station. They better get that animal. I have to imagine he will be caught soon. They had a decently clear picture of him posted all over the news.

Old 01-17-2019, 02:53 AM

4,198 posts, read 4,085,686 times
Terrible story but I couldn't believe when I saw the video of the victim getting in front of the moving vehicle and trying to stop it from moving with his hands. That was not going to end up well.

Old 01-17-2019, 06:16 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
https://abc7ny.com/li-gas-station-wo...t-pay/5075999/

This sad story really got me frustrated. First off condolences to this man's family and loved ones. He tragically died trying to do the right thing. Unfortunately for him it got him killed. All for a measly $22. It baffles me why someone would put their lives on the line for such an inconsequential amount of money. It wasn't even his money, it was the gas station's money.

I hope they find the worthless animal that ran him over and put him in jail for life. But what he did was foolish and reckless. No ones life is worth any sort of money. What gets me frustrated is that not one news outlet is mentioning how foolish of an act this was. Why put your life on the line for the register? We need more outlets telling people NOT to go after criminals. Call the police! That's it. Don't take it upon yourself to be a hero.

I'm not telling people to be cowards but people need to use common sense. There are times when you doing the right thing is commendable and then there are times when it's foolish.
I agree with everything you said here.

However, in this day and age, any such talk would be considered "blaming the victim".

Also, my guess is that this man never thought a thief would run him over. But no one, criminal or victim, probably ever believes the worst will happen till it actually does. And in this case, without tags on the car, the victim probably figured calling the police would be worthless (and let's face it, he's right).

This case is reminiscent of the woman who was run over in Nevada trying to stop someone who hadn't paid for a $35 manicure.

Hopefully, the outcome of this encounter is enough to dissuade anyone from jumping in front of a car over a measly amount of money and the public doesn't need to be told not to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: