Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 03:47 PM

11,638 posts, read 12,709,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Probably why people have back and heart problems. Lack of exercise and poor diet.
Be sitting on the couch or at a desk all day eating Big Macs and Ben n Jerry's while posting selfies on facebook and talking about getting back to the gym for #beachbod2019.
Or just the natural aging process. All of the parts start to deteriorate after a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2019, 07:05 PM

20,050 posts, read 20,861,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Or just the natural aging process. All of the parts start to deteriorate after a while.
A body in motion...stays in motion.
But enough about me.

My old man had a 60x100. He was paying 30 a week for a cut and trim. And they would turn the flower beds every few weeks. He only had grass in the front, and it wasn't a lot. Backyard was all pool and patio, and a dirt side yard for the dog and some junk storage. Obviously anything above that was extra, Fertilizer, seed, clean ups, etc.

That was pretty much the going rate. He had a new landscaper every year. He hated all of them. Either they would do lousy work or would gauge him on stuff he never asked for.

Old 01-18-2019, 10:13 PM

11,638 posts, read 12,709,490 times
Quote:
A body in motion...stays in motion.
But enough about me.

My old man had a 60x100. He was paying 30 a week for a cut and trim. And they would turn the flower beds every few weeks. He only had grass in the front, and it wasn't a lot. Backyard was all pool and patio, and a dirt side yard for the dog and some junk storage. Obviously anything above that was extra, Fertilizer, seed, clean ups, etc.

That was pretty much the going rate. He had a new landscaper every year. He hated all of them. Either they would do lousy work or would gauge him on stuff he never asked for.
Gardening is one thing. Shoveling snow in your late 70s or 80s is not recommended. Plus some people really are sick, y'a know, like cancer, MS, Parkinson's., joint diseases, connective tissue disease.

Old 01-19-2019, 09:09 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,049,703 times
What Coney said. I can safely (healthwise) shovel up to about 4" of snow (6" if it's the fluffy stuff) myself, and do. The worst part is of course the end of the driveway where the plows re-create the Great Wall of China in frozen slush.

I have no place to store a snowblower, plus I hate any kind of gas powered tool. I killed off three electric snow throwers in the space of five years, so gave up on those.

Any time I've had to get someone to shovel or plow it's been $100+. Two years ago I found a guy who charged $75 and then I discovered afterward that he'd accidentally sliced into the sidewall of one of my tires when hand-shoveling around my car, so it cost me even more to replace the flat unrepairable tire. I was beyond pissed, as you can imagine. So now the only person allowed to shovel around my car is me.

I've been paying $30/wk for a cut-and-edge (only) of a half acre for the past four years. They do nothing else and I send a check payable to the owner personally at the end of the month. Before that I had a half acre in another town and the guy charged $35 for the same work but it was paid in cash at the end of the month. The guy before him charged the same amount but some weeks his crew didn't show up (this was circa 2012). At that time my neighbors were using other landscapers who were charging $45 or $55 for a cut for a half acre. Some were charging $50/week for the same thing as far back as the early 2000s.

Old 01-20-2019, 01:11 PM

450 posts, read 386,661 times
Thanks for the responses. Question about water and gas bills, are they generally in line with rest of the New York city? Like is it DEP water bill and is it same as the city? I know gas / electricity might be different since it's LIPA vs Con Ed etc.

Old 01-20-2019, 06:47 PM

556 posts, read 622,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailgunner_ed View Post
Thanks for the responses. Question about water and gas bills, are they generally in line with rest of the New York city? Like is it DEP water bill and is it same as the city? I know gas / electricity might be different since it's LIPA vs Con Ed etc.
Before I moved to North Carolina 4 years ago, I was on the budget plan with both Lilco and Lipa. Every year it it cost $200/month each, give or take $100 at settlement time. Water bills vary drastically from town to town. My M-I-L lived in Uniondale and paid less than $50/ month. I lived in Iong Beach and paid an average of $125/ month including Sprinker’s in the summer.

Old 01-21-2019, 07:29 AM

158 posts, read 189,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
That’s why there is an amazing invention called a “snow blower”! You should look it up on the Google!
you literally said do it yourself and it costs zero.

do you have a family member who gets you free snowblowers?

Old 01-21-2019, 08:42 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,540,907 times
Quote:
Probably why people have back and heart problems. Lack of exercise and poor diet.
Be sitting on the couch or at a desk all day eating Big Macs and Ben n Jerry's while posting selfies on facebook and talking about getting back to the gym for #beachbod2019.
Couldn't have said it better myself.
I do my own lawn and snow, partly because its good exercise.

In my NorthShore neighborhood, they look at you funny if you DIY and don't hire a crew of illegals, but I take pride in taking care of my property. I have largest lot in the section, and the greenest lawn.

Old 01-21-2019, 09:01 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,252,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
Couldn't have said it better myself.
I do my own lawn and snow, partly because its good exercise.

In my NorthShore neighborhood, they look at you funny if you DIY and don't hire a crew of illegals, but I take pride in taking care of my property. I have largest lot in the section, and the greenest lawn.
Unless you have a heart condition, it’s actually quicker if you DIY - you can shovel the end of the driveway every time a plow comes through and avoid things icing over. For anything more than 6” I used a Toro single stage 2 stroke snowblower that was bulletproof. Cleared right down to the pavement.

If you end up waiting for the crews to come around it’s hours later, probably a freeze-thaw cycle has happened and the end of the driveway needs a big truck to clear it.

Old 01-22-2019, 02:33 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
$100 for snow removal??

You could pay the kid down the block $15 to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: