Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2019, 07:56 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,047,285 times

Advertisements

I should have known that the "paint chip/wall color differential" rule would apply to paving stones as well. :-/

Anyway, based on a few Nicolock samples I chose the Hollandstone 'Fire Island Blend' and naturally now that it's on an entire patio and walkway it turns out to be a lot redder than I thought it would be. I know Nicolock advertises that their pavers don't fade, yadda yadda, but am wondering if those who have these pavers have seen the color become more muted (less intense/less bright) over time? Whether from fading or dirt or whatever. Clearly, I am hoping this will happen but might as well face the truth now rather than later, LOL

In retrospect I realize I probably should have chosen a grey (Granite City Blend or Charcoal) but was afraid that over a large space it would look 'blue' and I didn't want that. So instead of blue effect I now have too bright a red. With dark brown siding. (at least it's not that awful orange-red of new brick)

What have your Fire Island Blend pavers come to look like over time (and how much time)? If different than when new.

(Mods: Please keep this in the Long Island forum because I want to hear from people whose pavers are exposed to the same weather conditions as we have here.)
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2019, 05:11 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,370,159 times
“Let Nickolock Pavers (Let Nickolock Paverrrrrs) PAVE YOUR WAY!”

Old 03-15-2019, 05:58 PM

397 posts, read 515,437 times
I have a patio with them... About 10 years old now... The brick has worn to a rough texture, and the color has definitely faded. They line my driveway as well and I couldnt believe the color difference when I added on to the driveway last year.

Old 03-16-2019, 09:16 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,047,285 times
Thanks, Alex. Interesting info, though I don't know if I will be able to stand looking at these for 10 years, LOL. This is my retirement house and so I have to decide whether I want to spend the rest of my life (literally) looking at that color and thinking "gawd I hate this" or bite the financial bullet (more like a torpedo) and have it ripped out and redone in grey.

Yesterday was the first time I saw the pavers wet, and nearly had a coronary because they literally turned to fire engine red and black. Thought I was going to upchuck.

This page of Nicolock's website claims the color is "guaranteed not to fade" which in my situation is not good news -- but maybe they were not yet using the same (Paver Shield) process 10 years ago?

https://nicolock.com/paver-shield/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: