Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 07:34 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,414,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
All the time. But I'm not a school teacher or politician so I'm safe!
How come you didn't send me your picture?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2019, 08:10 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,108,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
As an aside, one wonders if a similar photo of her was secretly snapped by a pervert and then similarly circulated around school if the district would have canned her.
Situation is sort of like the Alex Rodrigues picture sitting with phone in hand on a toilet. Alex and J-lo live on the top floor and have no curtains or shades on the windows in the bathroom. It appears that the likely culprit that took the snap was from one of the nearby business residents in a neighboring tower. Aly boy wants to sue, invasion of privacy, he claims.

https://fanbuzz.com/mlb/a-rod-viral-toilet-pic/

It may be up to the courts to decide. If you choose to have your windows with no window dressings at all and your privacy is invaded, do you & should you have a leg to stand on?

Old 05-22-2019, 03:38 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,954,202 times
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter
As an aside, one wonders if a similar photo of her was secretly snapped by a pervert and then similarly circulated around school if the district would have canned her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Situation is sort of like the Alex Rodrigues picture sitting with phone in hand on a toilet. Alex and J-lo live on the top floor and have no curtains or shades on the windows in the bathroom. It appears that the likely culprit that took the snap was from one of the nearby business residents in a neighboring tower. Aly boy wants to sue, invasion of privacy, he claims.

It may be up to the courts to decide. If you choose to have your windows with no window dressings at all and your privacy is invaded, do you & should you have a leg to stand on?
If his picture was secretly snapped by a pervert [ignoring all the particularities] and then the Yankees fired him because of it, he'd be in a similar situation to the one I invented. Would the Yankees actually fire him for it? Would it stand up in court?

--

I'm thinking that if the Bellport picture was secretly snapped by a pervert and then found its way onto social media the district would have behaved differently. [Think Erin Andrews.] She would be seen as a victim. Any story that she could not remain employed because the kids saw a topless photo of her would be laughable. So it is neither the topless photo itself nor the fact the photo was viewed by students that might prove decisive in a future case (both would be present in the pervert scenario); rather, the circumstances of the topless photo and the circumstances of the distribution on social media. I could see her as a sympathetic figure depending on the actual circumstances.

(Note: This is not to say districts behave rationally or that we have all the facts.)

Last edited by Quick Commenter; 05-22-2019 at 03:56 AM..

Old 05-22-2019, 05:26 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,085,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post

Agree where is this expectation of privacy coming from? Reminds me of that hotel overlooking the High Line where being an exhibitionist is part of the experience.

Old 05-22-2019, 05:46 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,108,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Agree where is this expectation of privacy coming from? Reminds me of that hotel overlooking the High Line where being an exhibitionist is part of the experience.
A neighbor who used to live in NY visited High Line and came back with that story. Absolutely, it makes me think of how sue happy everyone is today. McDonald's sells hot coffee, patron puts it between her legs in the car, gets burned and it is not her fault, McDonalds brewed the coffee too hot. So because this idiot chose not to dress his windows and a photo is taken, the photographer is the wrong one.

Old 05-22-2019, 06:08 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,881,015 times
I must've missed something. Why are we talking about secretly-snapped pics when the teacher pic was a selfie?

Old 05-22-2019, 10:21 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,339,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
I must've missed something. Why are we talking about secretly-snapped pics when the teacher pic was a selfie?

It is possible she secretly took it of herself, therefore she has no idea it was taken.

Old 05-22-2019, 11:38 AM

I think she admitted it was a topless selfie that she sent to her then boyfriend and claims the school canned her for it when it came to their attention the topless selfie was viewed by students via social media. She claims the firing was unlawful gender discrimination in that a similarly situated male teacher would not be fired for a topless selfie viewed by students via social media.

Old 05-22-2019, 12:17 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,241,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
I think she admitted it was a topless selfie that she sent to her then boyfriend and claims the school canned her for it when it came to their attention the topless selfie was viewed by students via social media. She claims the firing was unlawful gender discrimination in that a similarly situated male teacher would not be fired for a topless selfie viewed by students via social media.
She has a case I think given it’s not illegal to be topless in NY. If the law states a woman can walk around topless, how can she be penalized by a school district, especially if it wasn’t (allegedly) circulated by her except to her boyfriend at the time?

Old 05-22-2019, 03:11 PM

/\ Well, we are dealing with an untenured teacher so the bar is very low for a proper dismissal. I don't think an argument that her behavior was lawful is strong enough in this case and the case might be thrown out early. But gender discrimination contributing to an adverse employment action (in her case, dismissal) could be demonstrated by pointing to a similarly situated (and topless) male counterpart...at least to survive motions for summary judgment/dismissal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island