Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 03:13 PM

2,589 posts, read 1,838,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
And of course YouTube videos.

It’s generally accepted (but not universal) that Penske trucks are overall in better shape than U-Haul. But as with the trucks themselves, YMMV.

And as to locations, note that you could be renting from a location but U-Haul reserves the right to assign you to another to pick up the truck.

Also, most places probably would want to keep the “good” one for local moves....sending the worst one out on a one-way trip.

To save you some trouble I did a quick look up.

A 20’ U-Haul one way to TX is around $2000.

A 22’ Penske is closer to $3700. Neither estimate includes insurance or moving materials.

You might want to look at a moving company as well.
Wow, I don't remember the prices being so high, but it was a long time ago.

Doesn't matter, when my wife finally lets me leave LI, it'll probably be with just the shirt on my back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2019, 11:39 PM

514 posts, read 442,238 times
I thought reach out to the collective wisdom of LI :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
This is like that commercial now..."can you get me three quotes, vet the vendors, check references, etc." lol

Google is your friend. All that can be answered in a 5 minute search. Vendors, reviews, prices, reservations. You'll prob even find coupons/promo codes.

Old 06-13-2019, 12:14 AM

Checked Penske online, their 16' with car dolly, unlimited miles, 6 day one way rental is $2000 + $250. This doesn't include fuel and other costs..This doesn't sound like is going to save money..especially if one could hire movers in similar price range..

There's a 50% discount code but it didn't seem to work (applied only 10% discount). Will fish around the web. If I can get true 50% discount on that quoted price, it would make it worth the trouble.

Also I don't think I need Penske's 22' truck..they suggest it for 3-4 bed room ..ours is 2 bed room stuff so smaller truck could suffice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
And of course YouTube videos.

It’s generally accepted (but not universal) that Penske trucks are overall in better shape than U-Haul. But as with the trucks themselves, YMMV.

And as to locations, note that you could be renting from a location but U-Haul reserves the right to assign you to another to pick up the truck.

Also, most places probably would want to keep the “good” one for local moves....sending the worst one out on a one-way trip.

To save you some trouble I did a quick look up.

A 20’ U-Haul one way to TX is around $2000.

A 22’ Penske is closer to $3700. Neither estimate includes insurance or moving materials.

You might want to look at a moving company as well.

Old 06-13-2019, 12:16 AM

I will have to see how much movers would cost for NY to TX. Yes, if the truck rental and self move is going to cost this much, then what's the point..if I can get something in similar price range and have the movers do it..will go for that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
That's insane. Could probably get a full service mover for that price. We paid $2900 NY--->NC. Didn't have to load the truck in sweltering heat, humidity and rain (95* with 100% humidity the day we moved). And it was 102* the day we got here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island